[comp.sys.amiga.games] Dungeon Master

freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu (Jason Freund) (06/05/90)

Dungeon Master 2, (Chaos Strikes Back) is exactly like Dungeon Master 1.
It has 4 levels, each level can be solved 4 different ways.  The
interface and graphics are the same -- although there are many new
monsters and weapons, doortypes, special items, etc.  Basically, the
game picks up where DM 1 left off.  For example, there is a dragon on
level one.  When the game starts off, you have an option to use your old
DM 1 characters (but naked and unarmed) or choose new characters.  There
is a character editor disk that comes with the game that basically lets
you edit the picture of your character.  Many cute character pictures
are available on CIS in the Atari ST forum of Calvin & Hobbes, Snoopy,
etc.  Last I heard from FTL, DM2 will be avail for the Amiga late this
year (like Nov-Dec).  I've been looking forward to its release since I
finished DM1 the second time, about 6 months ago.

	      ____
             / / /  Jason Freund,  Davis, CA
            / / /   Computer Science, Engineering, Univ. Calif. Davis
           / / /
  ____    / / /     freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu    CI$: 72007,244
  \ \ \  / / /
   \ \ \/ / /       "The more I get to know people, the more I like my cat."
    \ \ \/ /        "E. Pluribus UNIX" "My other computer is an Amiga 3000."
     \ \ \/
      \_\/ Amiga

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/12/90)

First, the obligatory advertisement:
	"Tired of mapping every twist and turn in Dungeon Master?
	Wish you could read those strange maps you drew? Forgot the
	invisibility spell?  How much would you pay for maps
	of all 14 levels? $10, $20, $30? Don't answer now you
	also get a complete list of spells ? Now how much
	would you pay? Act now and we'll throw in the names and
	attributes of everyone in the Hall of Champions! All
	the for only $5, yes that is just $5! For a free sample
	and a map of level 1 send a stamped, self addressesed
	envelope to : Chuck McManis, 1141 Vasquez Ave, Sunnyvale
	CA, 94086."

And now, on to the spoilers :

In article <80286@srcsip.UUCP> kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:
>1) How do you get through the force field of level two which has the chest
>behind it?

You don't go through it, instead you go through the door marked "none shall
pass". Simply give it a good wack with a sword.

>2) How do you kill the rock/timber creatures on level three? Dropping them
>down the pit doesn't work because they come back through the teleporter.
>Hitting them seems totally useless with club/sword/shuriken soooo - how do
>I kill the suckers?? (fireball, etc does not seem to work either).

They can be killed, you just have to keep hitting them. When you get more
hit points you can really build up your ninja's by kicking them to death.
So far I've never managed to kill anything by yelling at it. Another neat
trick is to lead them under a closable door and then close the door on
them. They are more susecptible to fireballs when they rear up to bite
you. Watch out for poision!

--
--Chuck McManis						    Sun Microsystems
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: <none>   Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) (07/12/90)

In article <138794@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
>First, the obligatory advertisement:
>	"Tired of mapping every twist and turn in Dungeon Master?
>	Wish you could read those strange maps you drew? Forgot the
>	invisibility spell?  How much would you pay for maps
>	of all 14 levels? $10, $20, $30? Don't answer now you
>	also get a complete list of spells ? Now how much
>	would you pay? Act now and we'll throw in the names and
>	attributes of everyone in the Hall of Champions! All
>	the for only $5, yes that is just $5! For a free sample
>	and a map of level 1 send a stamped, self addressesed
>	envelope to : Chuck McManis, 1141 Vasquez Ave, Sunnyvale
>	CA, 94086."

Interviews with actual owners of the DM Maps:
** Some of these people are portrayed by out of work actors
   who had nothing better to do, but the text is from actual
   test cases. :*)

Bob, Danville Texas:
	"Couldn't have finished DM without 'em."

Lisa, Colon, Ohio:
	"Great!  Fantastic! Check them out!"

Bif, LA:
	"Way cool dudes! Like, totally radical like."

Billy-Joe Donniker, Somewhere in Louisiana:
	"They're maps, alright.  But I caint find N'orlans
	 on it!" (That's Cajun for New Orleans ;^))

Scott Sutherland, Gainesville, Florida:
	"These maps are invaluable to any DM player who
	 hates to spend all his time mapping and then
	 worrying about not starving.  I highly recommend
	 the $5 investment.  Hey, you paid over $30 for
	 the game, and these maps allow you to concentrate
	 on playing the game and solving the puzzles, not
	 the mapping (unless you are a masochist and really
	 enjoy mapping!!).  They DO NOT spoil the game in
	 the least.  Highly recommend them!"

Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (07/13/90)

Is there a new version of the DM HD backup utility program "dmpatch.lzh".
It is really irritating having to worry if the floppy will die since I can
have no backup and the only version of dmpatch I have seen does not work on
the game I bought a few months back. The DM files are named and organized
differently from earlier versions sold - i.e. not a simple name change
problem.

If anyone can help me save this to HD, I would greatly appreciate it.
Peter Kovach

Sig - We don't need no stinking sig!

cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (07/14/90)

Don't look if you don't want to know ...

In a previous article (Edgar LeBel) writes:
>I have almost finished level 3 and have started level 4 of Dungeon Master,
>but am stuck.  I found 4 gold keys, a rabbit's foot and a Ra key on 3, but
>the Ra key does not open the last door (by the stairs down to level 4).
>Did I miss something on level 3?  I found nothing in the matrix other than
>an arrow and food, so I suspect I might have missed something there.  I did
>not try to open the door with the gem-shaped hole next to it, since I assume
>I need something to fit the hole.

Level 3 == the level with the Matrix, Vault etc? (they are on my maps)
The Matrix has three things in it. The Ra Key's are "special" you will
need them later on. You say "by the stairs down to level 4" on level
three ? The key for all doors on level three are on level 3. There are
"secret" chambers in all of the named mazes on level 3 except for the
Monster Room (which just regenerates purple cavemen and which you get
to practice on. Note : Don't leave the door open to this maze when you
leave or they will be all over the place when you come back through.

>I am also out of food.  Is there a spell to create food?

No, but many creatures are edible. You are about to find some on level 4
they are the "purple worms". You can also eat screamers and rats.

--

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (07/20/90)

In article <1081@orange9.qtp.ufl.edu>, sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (Scott Sutherland) writes:
> In article <138794@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@stpeter.Eng.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> >First, the obligatory advertisement:
> >	"Tired of mapping every twist and turn in Dungeon Master?
> >	Wish you could read those strange maps you drew? Forgot the
> >	invisibility spell?  How much would you pay for maps
> >	of all 14 levels? $10, $20, $30? Don't answer now you
> >	also get a complete list of spells ? Now how much
> >	would you pay? Act now and we'll throw in the names and
> >	attributes of everyone in the Hall of Champions! All
> >	the for only $5, yes that is just $5! For a free sample
> >	and a map of level 1 send a stamped, self addressesed
> >	envelope to : Chuck McManis, 1141 Vasquez Ave, Sunnyvale
> >	CA, 94086."

And then Scott recommends them highly as helping but not
spoiling the puzzles of the game

> Scott Sutherland
> sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

How do the maps/info compare to the set found on Fish 240?

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (08/07/90)

 __________________________
|      :    /F             |
|_____ |                   |            C = Pressure plate to open pit
_______|~~~~~~~~~          |            F = lever to turn force field on/off
|  U button                 : door      U = button to close pit B
| _____   ______    _____   : to        Force Field pops you to A
| | A |   | B  |    | C |   : room
| |___|   |____|    |___|   :
|___________________________:

Explanation 1 -

>Ok, it's pretty simple actually. Stand on E, throw something onto the
>force field so that it will land on A (a dead torch works well) and
>when you throw it step to the right at the same time.  The torch will
>land on A, opening D and since you aren't on E it will stay open.

Well, this sure DOES NOT WORK! Nothing except our characters weight on C,
not A, opens this door. A does nothing at all!!!!!!!!!!

Explanation 2 -

>But it was worth it ;).  Face the switch (and be prepared to hit the down
>arrow on your keypad).  Hit the switch and then take a step back just
>after.  I think you have about .2 seconds delay.  You will be transported
>to the button which closes the hole in the floor but the force field will
>be off.  I tried that in desperation and it worked.

OK fine, I am back at A. So what???? Only C opens the door. If I stand
at B and set something on C, I fall in a pit. I cannot stand on E and
set something on C, because E closes the door.  IT DOES NOT MATTER
THAT THE FIELD IS OFF - I STILL CANNOT ACTIVATE C WITHOUT THEN BEING
FORCED ONTO E.

A DOES NOT OPEN THE DOOR!!!!! Since everyone says it does, does anyone
know what happened that makes it not work for me???? If it did open
the door/gate, sure enough I could just walk over and go in door D.

HEEELLPPPPPPP from someone who knows this problem - I hope this is not
a glitch in my version of the program - I just bought it two months
ago or less.

What does the key that is in this room open? I assume it is the door
down the way because that is the only keyed door I haven't opened. If
it is, what is in there - Is it worth all the trouble????????

Thanks!

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (08/08/90)

In article <85611@srcsip.UUCP> kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:

> __________________________
>|      :    /F             |
>| ##   : D                 |            A = pressure plate - DOES NOTHING
>|      :                   |            B = Pit
>|_____ |                   |            C = Pressure plate to open pit
>       |~~~~~~~~~   ____   |                and door D
>       | force  {   |   |  |            D = door to room ##
>       | field  {   | E |  |            E = Pressure plate to close pit
>       |        {   |___|  |                and door D
>_______|~~~~~~~~~          |            F = lever to turn force field on/off
>|  U button                 : door      U = button to close pit B
>| _____   ______    _____   : to        Force Field pops you to A
>| | A |   | B  |    | C |   : room
>| |___|   |____|    |___|   :
>|___________________________:

Stand facing /F.  Set switch so force field is on behind you.  Simultaneously
flick /F with the mouse while using the keyboard down arrow to step
backward.  If timed right, you will teleport to A before the field collapses.
You then just press U and C and pick up ##.  This is the solution.  If you're
having trouble, try risking falling down a pit to get to a better position.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

edgar@csri.toronto.edu (Edgar LeBel) (08/16/90)

A while back, someone asked what good is using the "Battle Cry" attack
option in Dungeon Master.

I discovered that on level 10 you can scare off the giant scorpions by
yelling at them a lot.  I had my master priest yell when he ran out of
ammunition, and the scorpion backed off, so I followed it and kept yelling,
and it kept retreating.

Now, a question.  If you fall through the invisible pits on level 11 you are
in a room with no exits except for one blocked by fire.  How do you get past
this thing?

Hobie Orris

wolf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Brian Carroll) (08/19/90)

In article <1990Aug16.085436.19117@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> edgar@csri.toronto.edu (Edgar LeBel) writes:

>Now, a question.  If you fall through the invisible pits on level 11 you are
>in a room with no exits except for one blocked by fire.  How do you get past
>this thing?

Try using the spell Des Ew.  It may take more than one shot, though.
Hope this helps.

						Brian Carroll
						wolf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

a481@mindlink.UUCP (J.D. Frazer) (08/25/90)

* * SPOILER!! * *

The Firestaff has two functions that must be used to trap Lord Chaos. I believe
they're called FLUX and FUSE. Every time you cast a FLUX, a yellow magical cage
appears in the space in front of you. Chaos really hates staying in these, so
he'll move out of one if he can.

FUSE is what you have to do to trap Chaos in a FLUX. Problem is, he'll back out
of a FLUX everytime you FUSE him. Real pain in the butt.

There are two methods I can think of to trap him. Cast a whole pile of FLUXes,
maybe 3 deep by 3 wide with Chaos in the middle. You can step into a FLUX with
no problem. FUSE the FLUX that Chaos is in and he's trapped....game over. This
is how I did it. Seems that a plethora of FLUXes right next to each other will
result in the FUSE spell fusing the whole lot of 'em. I may be wrong.

The only other method is to trap him into one of those little corners on the
14th level that have only one way out. I haven't done this, and it appears very
difficult to do.

Just go crazy with the FLUX spell. Your firestaff seems to have infinite energy
so cast like crazy, even at random. Remember that the FLUXes have a life of
about twenty (?) seconds.

Good Luck.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><+><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<                        |                                          >
<    J.D. Frazer         | "How can the same shit happen to the     >
< a481@mindlink.UUCP     |  guy TWICE?!" - Officer John McLain      >
<   Vancouver, B.C.      |  in a bad situation; DIE HARD II         >
<      CANADA            |                                          >
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><+><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) (08/25/90)

OK, I give up.  I've tried everything I can possibly think of to extinguish
Chaos, and have been utterly unsuccessful.  Can anyone PLEASE be of some
assistance.  I want to list the things I've tried but don't want to risk
potentially spoiling things for someone else.  But, I have definately
tried all suggestions that I have read from this group, but to no avail.

a481@mindlink.UUCP (J.D. Frazer) (01/06/91)

Here's a cry for help from my significant other. I've played the first DM and
finished it, so now she's giving it a go. However, she's completely stuck on a
certain level, and I can't recall how I got beyond it.

She's on the level which looks like a huge arena, where you meet the laughing
theives for the first time and skeletons and ghosts are in abundance. She says
she's explored everything she could, and she has found multiple
switches/pressure plates, but all to no avail.

Can anyone help point her in the correct direction?
--
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><+><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<    J.D. Frazer         | "How can the same sh*t happen to the     >
<   Vancouver, B.C.      |  in a bad situation; DIE HARD II         >
<      CANADA            |                                          >
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><+><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

CRH104@psuvm.psu.edu (02/14/91)

I am on level 6 and I am unable to get past the room with the Beholder, Pit,
two pressure plates, lever, and the portcullis.  Also, do the faces chiseled
into the wall do anything?  Finally, does the same hold true for the pineapple
shaped impressions?  Thanks.

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/14/91)

RE: HELP WITH LEVEL 6.....Hmmmm....are you referring to the small
room with the teleport that is activated with a lever? Very simply,
switch off the teleport, place an object on the floor where the teleport
was, and switch it back on. Now, step into the teleport yourself.
You will be teleported around the corner, and can now press the green
button. You could have first gone into the now-opened gate and got
the key....then zapped through the teleport. This is just one way,
there are a couple, I'm told!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

pondscum@zooid (Lima Bone) (03/03/91)

 On level 6..in the I do not want to be ignored room...there is a pressure
plate that opens a wall nearby..but I cannot lay anything down on it to
keep it open....HOW DO I DO THIS? No hints please..just give me the answer.

 Lima Bone

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (03/03/91)

RE: RE: KEEPING THE WALL SECTION OPEN.....OK. No hints. Find a SKELETON
and use a magic box to FREEZE LIFE mim on the spot that triggers the
wall section. Then go through there and press the button inside. The
wall section will stay open. Simple. How'd you get THIS far?

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon
Internet: Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (03/04/91)

To keep that wall section open (that opens when you stand on a tiny switch
in the floor, but closes again before you can reach the wall), you need
to get someone (or something) else to stand there, then make them stay
there for a while...   you've been carrying those Magical Boxes around
with you..?

BobR

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (03/29/91)

RE: ZOKATHRA SPELL & OTHER ITEMS.....The ZOKATHRA spell's usefullness
will be apparent near the end of the game....Unfortunately, WIZARD
and PRIEST levels grow more quickly, because there is so much more
of that kind of activity than fighting. However, it would be wise
to battle some of the creatures (such as the SKELETONS on another
level....also mummies are good to build up your fighting skills) because
on the later levels, you're gonna REALLY need those fighting skills.
Also, the damage that your fighter can deliver, will be in proportion
to his fighting skill(& strength of course) Have fun, and keep writing
in as regards your level and any problems you may be stuck with. I
very much enjoy answering questions on this game, and I usually read
the USENET base twice a day!