[comp.sys.amiga.games] Adventure

wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (03/24/91)

It is a follow up for one of the previous message .

I posted earlier that the game doesnt let you restore (it let you save it
though) the game unless you are a "WIZARD".
I then received a message from ,  I think the person who ported the game to
the Amiga. In a few word, that person kept that "feature" so the it has the
feel of the original version (which ran on an antique piece of machinery).
Well, that excuse is weak !!! jeez, I am playing that game to explore the
Cave, not to have the look and feel of a clunky old computer !!!
Hell, it is like trying to play "bards tale" without a save/restore command.
Impossible. NOBODY but NOBODY will stay riveted to the computer for 4 days
trying to finish the game.

However there is a command that seems to put the player into wizard mode.
just type WIZARD. it will ask for confirmation (y/n question) then for a
password . I have tried "PLEASE" and many obvious ones. ("say the magic word")
so what is the secret word ?
Is it Gandalf ? ( I have tried it but nothing .) (I saw it embedded in the
code around the area dealing with the save/restore feature)

anyway for everybody :
dont do what the stupid programmer did. when porting a game from mainframe to
home computer , there is NO need to check for the "load average" or such
nonsense ...

and again, having no save/restore feature dooms that game (great concept)
to oblivions (shame on the programmer !!!!)
(programmer who is a piece of S**T in my mind and to whom I will say to
F**K O*F ).
(I have enough stress in my life just to get stepped on in a game which
is supposed to distract ).

I will of course retract everything I said here if the restore feature really
works (I dont know how, perhaps the magic word ? or was the programmer unable
to handle the restore routine).
or even a new version.

(by the way, it runs faster if the files are in RAM:)

bottom line :
avoid this game like the plague !!!! again , it is "Adventure" found in
BD20 (128.155.23.64) , GAMES subdirectory of Incoming/amiga

				Walter
      			        "I'm gonna knock you out !!!"

samuel@CS.Cornell.EDU (Samuel M. Weber) (03/25/91)

From: cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle)
*...Saving does work, but as stated
*you must wait 30 minutes before restarting (this prevents you
*from copying the file and restarting right away).
*the Adventure save file.
* ...
*Adventure is
*just trying to completely receate the mainframe orignal and
*the game is better if you don't cheat...
*
*Loren J. Rittle
*Porter of Adventure and Dungeon

Ok, so we have that restore DOES work, and furthermore that it is
documented that you have to wait 30 minutes before restarting.  Furthermore,
Walter Dao admits that he read the message telling him so!

Now, let us see what else Doa says:

>Well, that excuse is weak !!! jeez, I am playing that game to explore the
>Cave, not to have the look and feel of a clunky old computer !!!
 .....and so forth for 28 more lines.

Then we get to the REALLY wonderful stuff:

>and again, having no save/restore feature dooms that game (great concept)
>to oblivions (shame on the programmer !!!!)
>(programmer who is a piece of S**T in my mind and to whom I will say to
>F**K O*F ).
>(I have enough stress in my life just to get stepped on in a game which
>is supposed to distract ).

So, Loren Rittle, out of the kindness of his heart, decides to port some
wonderful games, and to make them freely available.  And for his trouble,
he gets unjustly insulted by a fellow who is either too lazy or too stupid
to either read the documentation or to understand a personal response
that Loren sent him.

I, for one, wish to thank Loren Rittle for all the time and effort that
he has put into porting these games, and to extend my sympathy for
having to put up with jerks like Dao.

--
   -- Sam Weber                   "I never think of money,
                                   I think of milk and honey,

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (03/25/91)

In article <16071@chaph.usc.edu>, Walter Dao writes:

> It is a follow up for one of the previous message .
>
> I posted earlier that the game doesnt let you restore (it let you save it
> though) the game unless you are a "WIZARD".
> I then received a message from ,  I think the person who ported the game to
> the Amiga. In a few word, that person kept that "feature" so the it has the
> feel of the original version (which ran on an antique piece of machinery).

   Nothing to do with the machinery.

   It's there to prevent you from doing a kind of cheating, where you save
before a dangerous move, and then restore (possibly many times) if it
fails.

> Hell, it is like trying to play "bards tale" without a save/restore command.
> Impossible. NOBODY but NOBODY will stay riveted to the computer for 4 days
> trying to finish the game.

   In the old days, I played it without a functional 'Save/restore' feature
and made it through the first phase lots of times. Lots, mind you!

   BTW, anyone has a hint for getting on to the second phase for real?
I was stuck with a lot of sleeping dwarfs and Cave equipment, and just
couldn't figure how to get on.

> I will of course retract everything I said here if the restore feature really
> works.

   You'd better. Try waiting 1/2 hour (this will allow for productive work
inbetween), and then restore the game. All functional.

> (I dont know how, perhaps the magic word ? or was the programmer unable
> to handle the restore routine). or even a new version.

   Just do what the program tells you, wait 1/2 hour before restoring.

   There's no need to flame this friendly programmer in public.

> 				Walter
>       			        "I'm gonna knock you out !!!"

   Sure seems so ;-)

                                                      -Henrik
| Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
| ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |
\______cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen___|_________________________________W. Blake___/

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (03/26/91)

Well, I just want to waste some bandwidth by saying, that I'm glad
Loren Rittle ported Dungeon and Adventure, AND say, that I think
the 30 min. concept is allright, because it prevents me from cheating
(in the end, myself). So.

--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department

fstuart@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) (03/26/91)

>I, for one, wish to thank Loren Rittle for all the time and effort that
>he has put into porting these games, and to extend my sympathy for
>having to put up with jerks like Dao.

Ditto.  Thanks for the port.  Adventure is a great game....a true classic.

--Frank
fstuart@eng.auburn.edu

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.040835.13207@cs.cornell.edu> samuel@CS.Cornell.EDU (Samuel M. Weber) writes:
>In article <16071@chaph.usc.edu> wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:
                                 [...]
>From: cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle)
>*...Saving does work, but as stated
>*you must wait 30 minutes before restarting (this prevents you
>*from copying the file and restarting right away).
                                 [...]
>Ok, so we have that restore DOES work, and furthermore that it is
>documented that you have to wait 30 minutes before restarting.  Furthermore,
>Walter Dao admits that he read the message telling him so!
                                 [...]
Not only that, but if you are really dedicated to cheating then all you have
to do is use the AmigaDOS command 'date' and change the date.

I was pretty disgusted by his whining and petty comploaints about a game that
he got for free.  So don't play it.  It's no skin off our noses.

            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com
--

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (03/26/91)

> >I, for one, wish to thank Loren Rittle for all the time and effort that
> >he has put into porting these games, and to extend my sympathy for
> >having to put up with jerks like Dao.
> >
> Ditto.  Thanks for the port.  Adventure is a great game....a true classic.
>
> --Frank
> fstuart@eng.auburn.edu

...I add my appreciation as well! It's a true pleasure to be able to play
this little piece of computer history as it was originally intended to be
played! Thanks for the work you did!

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~second-hand smoke is THEFT~~~

stuart@sequoia.cray.com (Stuart Mitchell) (03/28/91)

I'd just like to add (publicly) my thanx to Loren for his efforts bringing
Adventure and Dungeon to the Amiga - it brings back memories of my days
at college playing these games (probably when I should have been studying,
but it was more fun 8^)

Now for the hint:
Henrik Clausen writes:
>    BTW, anyone has a hint for getting on to the second phase for real?
> I was stuck with a lot of sleeping dwarfs and Cave equipment, and just
> couldn't figure how to get on.

You've reached the second part already - the large cave *is* the second
phase - it's just a question of finding & using one of the many objects
in the correct location in that cave.

I could be more explicit, but that should be enough to go on for now....

stuart
(stuart@cray.com)

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (03/28/91)

In article <090433.10038@timbuk.cray.com>, Stuart Mitchell writes:

> >    BTW, anyone has a hint for getting on to the second phase for real?
>
> it's just a question of finding & using one of the many objects
> in the correct location in that cave.
>
> I could be more explicit, but that should be enough to go on for now....

   That'll do fine, I think - thanks!

oliphant@telepro.UUCP (Mike Oliphant) (03/29/91)

In article <16071@chaph.usc.edu> wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:

>I posted earlier that the game doesnt let you restore (it let you save it
>though) the game unless you are a "WIZARD".
>I then received a message from ,  I think the person who ported the game to
>the Amiga. In a few word, that person kept that "feature" so the it has the
>feel of the original version (which ran on an antique piece of machinery).
>Well, that excuse is weak !!! jeez, I am playing that game to explore the
>Cave, not to have the look and feel of a clunky old computer !!!
>Hell, it is like trying to play "bards tale" without a save/restore command.
>Impossible. NOBODY but NOBODY will stay riveted to the computer for 4 days
>trying to finish the game.

I believe it just prevents you from restoring immediately (you have to wait
for 30 minutes).  If you want to get around it, just change the time on your
machine.  Personally, I am glad that the port kept this feature, as I would
like to put Adventure online on a BBS system.  I just wish there had been
a command-line argument to specify the name of the save file (that way, the
save file could be place in the private directory of a user on the BBS).

--
Mike Oliphant	telepro!oliphant@herald.usask.ca or herald!telepro!oliphant
		FidoNet: (1:140/91) - ZMH only