[comp.sys.amiga.games] Wing Commander question

pfaff@think.com (Raymond Pfaff) (03/26/91)

Has anybody got any hints on how to deal with Maniac in this game (other
than not getting him as a wingman)?  I flew the first scenario in
Brimstone, blew away 3 gratha fighters by myslef, then got my ship shot to
pieces when I got between him and the final fighter.  I can't see how you
can win the Brimstone campaign since he will a) either screw up your ship,
b) screw up your attack or c) die.

Ray Pfaff
pfaff@europa.asd.contel.com

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) (03/26/91)

Why is this posted here? dont you mean comp.sys.ibm.games or some other
newsgroup like that?

BTW I wrote Origin systems about a possible port and they "Have no plans to
port wing commander to the amiga"

what a shame. my friend didnt like it much, he said it was grossly overrated
as a game but the amiga version still couldve been great.

n298ad@tamuts.tamu.edu (John Jordan) (03/27/91)

Well, in a brochure from origin who had a rep here at AGGIE CON XXII
it states that under the amiga column for Wing-Commander "FUTURE"
so it seems there is a possibility.

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (03/27/91)

From article <13814@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by n298ad@tamuts.tamu.edu (John Jordan):
> Well, in a brochure from origin who had a rep here at AGGIE CON XXII
> it states that under the amiga column for Wing-Commander "FUTURE"
> so it seems there is a possibility.

Yes, it is being worked on.
--
- gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu -	|  IBM's brain is on overload, and Apple
	Gregory Block		|  needs to be potty-trained.  C= may not

am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis) (03/27/91)

With all of this talk about Wing Commander, I thought I'd put in my two cents:

First, I have the game and run it on a 20mHz 386, and it is still slow.  It
is a memory hog, crashes every so often (but this may be due to a bad disk
block), and in general, contains much more style than substance.

A game similar to WC is Warhead, published by Activision in the UK.  The
graphics, although polygon, are much smoother than those of WC, and the sound
is also very good, very ominous.  I would recommend it to all.

In conclusion, I would agree with the poster several months ago who believed
that the games native to the Amiga are much better than those ported from the
IBM.  Since I can usually play games on both machines, I have also found that
this is so.

	"There is no category for my story;
	 it will be told in any territory."

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (03/27/91)

sss10@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu  writes.....
>I wrote Origin systems about a possible port and they "Have no plans to
>port wing commander to the amiga"

Hmmm, I chatted with the programmers of Wing Commander on GEnie (in an open
conference) a little while ago and they did indeed say that they will not
'port' Wing Commander to the Amiga.  Actually, they are re-writing it to
allow the Amiga's animation capabilities to be used to full effect for the
game.  They expect the Wing Commander Amiga version to be out sometime in the
fall.  They were quit enthusiastic about making the Amiga version and were
actually hiring new programmers specifically to make games on the Amiga.

%g     __
%g    |__) _   __   %wGEnie: R.EARL4
%g    | \ (_) (_/  %wUsenet: roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca
%g            _/

algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Gregory Bowers) (03/28/91)

Still on Wing Commander. I've heard things about them making for Amiga or
just making for CDTV. It's difficult to tell for sure with so many conflicting
stories floating around...

But I hear that Epic from DiD (Digital Designs I think, the guys who did F-29)
should be the closest thing to Wing Commander. At least they (Did) say Wing
Commander is closest thing they've seen to their Epic. Now since Epic is
presumably being designed with Amiga in mind, it might turn out better than
WC, if we ever see it (at least on a 7 MHZ machine).

Amiga is die beste! 'n IBM is 'n rekenaar? Die Mac is net 'n vrot appel!
algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu   Portland TrailBlazers now 50-18 and KICKING ASS!

am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis) (03/28/91)

Hi there.  Does anybody know if Epic is out yet?  I saw it advertised *LAST
YEAR*.  I'd hate to think that this game will be vapor forever.

algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Gregory Bowers) (03/30/91)

am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis) writes:

>Hi there.  Does anybody know if Epic is out yet?  I saw it advertised *LAST
>YEAR*.  I'd hate to think that this game will be vapor forever.

>	"There is no category for my story;
>	 it will be told in any territory."

As far as I know, not yet. From what I read they started out making
Goldrunner 3-D. Then Microdeal (I think) didn't want it, so they
decided to really put some effort into making it a spectacular game.
I got a demo at least 6 months ago, but from the pics in the magazine
it looked like the game had been upgraded. So that may explain the
delay.

Amiga is die beste! 'n IBM is 'n rekenaar? Die Mac is net 'n vrot appel!
algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu   Portland TrailBlazers now 51-18 and KICKING ASS!