[comp.sys.amiga.games] ULTIMA VI ??

v118j3ml@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Michael J Slavis) (02/09/91)

Has anyone heard anything about a release date for Ultima VI for the Amiga, or
even if it is planned to BE released... I've seen the MS-DOS version, and it's
pretty good...I've been addicted to Ultima ever since my old 64 days, and want
to see what they'd do with the capabilities of the Amiga.  Just wondering if
anybody knows anything about it...Thanks,

        Mike Slavis  (V118J3ML@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu)

c9037090@cc.newcastle.edu.au (03/28/91)

	ULTIMA VI-IV'E HEARD IT'S THE ULTIMATE GAME FOR THE AMIGA.
	HAS IT BEEN RELEASED YET??IS IT ALL IT'S CRACKED UP TO BE??
	IS THERE ANY SUBSTITUTE????

			...does anyone know??
								.z.

2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar28.153148.9912@cc.newcastle.edu.au>, c9037090@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:

> 	ULTIMA VI-IV'E HEARD IT'S THE ULTIMATE GAME FOR THE AMIGA.
> 	HAS IT BEEN RELEASED YET??IS IT ALL IT'S CRACKED UP TO BE??
> 	IS THERE ANY SUBSTITUTE????
>

> 			...does anyone know??

I think someone is pulling your leg...besides, if its like anything else
released by Origin for the Amiga (with the exception of Ultima III) it
will probably reek of IBM-itis.

And as far as I know, it hasn't been released.

David Poland
2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis) (03/28/91)

The people I talked to at Origin wouldn't give me a specific date, but they
said they are working on it.  Since I also have it for the Other Computer,
I will try to briefly summarize the salient features:
	Good sound, good graphics, real-world object system ("If you can touch
it, you can use it" to quote the box blurb), party members act independently.
What I don't like, however, is the constant scale of the world - in the
previous Ultimae, a town was an icon on the map, and would then load in
when you went in.  Now, you just walk right in.  Ditto for dungeons.  While I
certainly appreciate the change in dungeons, this feature has the effect of
making the world seem a bit smaller than the previous ones.  In addition,
you lose the pleasure of finding secret stuff on the periphery of the towns.
	So in conclusion, I have found the game to a radical departure from
the previous Ultimae, and while the graphics and sound are great (and if done
competently, will be even better on the Amiga), I really miss the old style
games (maybe it's just nostalgia).

	"There is no category for my story;
	 it will be told in any territory."

<DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/29/91)

In article <49175@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu
says:

>I've seen for the Amiga is ULTIMA IV, which at least allows you to create
>an AmigaDOS saved game disk. ULTIMA V came on a heavily copy-protected
>disk, which saves games to that copy-protected disk.
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree, Ultima IV is a reasonably good port. It was written from scratch
for the Amiga and is HD installable, not copy protected, etc. Although
some people were disappointed, I was actually quite happy with it.

Ultima V is such **** however that I'll never buy another origin game.
What has happened to standards of quality in entertainment software ???
It used to be that companies like Origin were PROUD of the work they
did. (rightly so). Now they put out garbage and don't care. :-(
Frankly I hope they go out of business...

-- Dan Babcock

2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/29/91)

In article <91087.160720DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu>, <DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
> In article <49175@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu
> says:
>
>>I've seen for the Amiga is ULTIMA IV, which at least allows you to create
>>an AmigaDOS saved game disk. ULTIMA V came on a heavily copy-protected
>>disk, which saves games to that copy-protected disk.
>>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, Ultima III is copy-protected, but you can use NIB to de-protect it.
(And makes it a little more crash-proof and can install nicely on a HD.)

David Poland
2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (03/29/91)

>From all I have heard from happy IBM gamers, ULTIMA VI is simply the best ULTIM
ULTIMA ever (even better than III, one diehard told me).

Unfortunately, Origin has poorly served Amiga users. They hired Micro Magic
to do their ports (specifically, the notorious ULTIMA III, which did not
allow the game to be reset when one started over, and this is a turn-counting
game; and OMEGA, which broke about every rule in the book for a standard
OS-using program, including using the Workbench screen to store unused
bitplanes and requiring a reboot after quitting), and the only good port
I've seen for the Amiga is ULTIMA IV, which at least allows you to create
an AmigaDOS saved game disk. ULTIMA V came on a heavily copy-protected
disk, which saves games to that copy-protected disk.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        At the store where I work, a 16 year-old kid came in who had saved
up for ULTIMA V and had had the disk crash on him the very first time that
he tried to save the game. He was heartbroken and we managed to give him a
working copy using the OmniTool in ProjectD (important safety tip). I
do not recommend V to anyone who asks, because of that lousy port. I'd
love to see Origin do a good version of an Amiga game (if Microprose can
do it, so can they). I'm just not expecting to see one in my lifetime;
maybe they'll surprise us all.

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~second-hand smoke is THEFT~~~

beust@avahi.inria.fr (Cedric BEUST) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.140804.21291@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis) writes:
> 	Good sound, good graphics, real-world object system ("If you can touch
> it, you can use it" to quote the box blurb), party members act independently.
> What I don't like, however, is the constant scale of the world - in the
> previous Ultimae, a town was an icon on the map, and would then load in
> when you went in.  Now, you just walk right in.  Ditto for dungeons.  While I
> certainly appreciate the change in dungeons, this feature has the effect of
> making the world seem a bit smaller than the previous ones.  In addition,
> you lose the pleasure of finding secret stuff on the periphery of the towns.

  I thought so when I first played Ultima VI (on a PC, booooh...) but the game
quickly took on me and I didn't even think of it after one hour of play. And
I've been playing Ultima since the very first, so I know it a little. I was
very impressed by the graphics (VGA 256 colors), and I'm afraid the Amiga
won't be able to be as good. But I'm eager to play it again.

  This is not exactly true for dungeons, though. They appear on the map as
an entrance (sometimes very hard to find) and you merely step into them.

  About the game, now: I found it a little easier than the last two. You'll
meet many riddles but eventually, you will be able to finish the game without
solving most of them.

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@mimosa.unice.fr                      $whoami               |
| UUCP: llaor.unice.fr!arkonis!beust               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (03/31/91)

In article <10643@mirsa.inria.fr> beust@avahi.inria.fr (Cedric BEUST) writes:

> In article <1991Mar28.140804.21291@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis) writes:
> >     Good sound, good graphics, real-world object system ("If you can touch
> > it, you can use it" to quote the box blurb), party members act independently.
> > What I don't like, however, is the constant scale of the world - in the
> > previous Ultimae, a town was an icon on the map, and would then load in
> > when you went in.  Now, you just walk right in.  Ditto for dungeons.  While I
> > certainly appreciate the change in dungeons, this feature has the effect of
> > making the world seem a bit smaller than the previous ones.  In addition,
> > you lose the pleasure of finding secret stuff on the periphery of the towns.
>
>   I thought so when I first played Ultima VI (on a PC, booooh...) but the game
> quickly took on me and I didn't even think of it after one hour of play. And
> I've been playing Ultima since the very first, so I know it a little. I was
> very impressed by the graphics (VGA 256 colors), and I'm afraid the Amiga
> won't be able to be as good. But I'm eager to play it again.

My impressions about PC Ultima VI:

  o If you don't have a hard drive, it is EXTREMELY SLOW!!!! It reads
    from disk constantly, even in the middle of battles.

  o If you don't have EGA or higher, forget it. The graphics are too
    complicated to be rendered well in 4 colors.

I took my copy back to the store, as I determined that it was unplayable
on a floppy based CGA system.

While it DOES look nice on EGA/VGA, I kind of miss the old klunky
graphics. It was the game play that I really liked.

I hope they do justice to the Amiga when (if?) it is released.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft.hou.tx.us
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic