[comp.sys.amiga.games] Dungeon on ab20 -- problems?

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (03/23/91)

I got Dungeon (the almost-original adventure game that the commercial
Zork Trilogy came from) off of ab20 and have started playing it, only
to notice a curious thing: the topology is completely nonsensical.
Generally, if you enter a room by going east, going east again brings
you back to the first room, and so forth. Is it supposed to be like
this, or do I have a copy with a subtly damaged map?

/ Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs - MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu \
| DISCLAIMER? You can't POSSIBLY be serious, can you?         ||   //        ||
|   "Doctor, may I speak with you in private?" "All right..." || \X/  AMIGA  ||
\== "Have you got a DEATH WISH?!" -- Romana & the Doctor, _Warrior's Gate_ ===/

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (03/24/91)

In article <91082.012358MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu>, MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> I got Dungeon (the almost-original adventure game that the commercial
> Zork Trilogy came from) off of ab20 and have started playing it, only
> to notice a curious thing: the topology is completely nonsensical.
> Generally, if you enter a room by going east, going east again brings
> you back to the first room, and so forth. Is it supposed to be like
> this, or do I have a copy with a subtly damaged map?
>
> / Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs - MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu \
> | DISCLAIMER? You can't POSSIBLY be serious, can you?         ||   //        ||
> |   "Doctor, may I speak with you in private?" "All right..." || \X/  AMIGA  ||
> \== "Have you got a DEATH WISH?!" -- Romana & the Doctor, _Warrior's Gate_ ===/

Consider the following possibility.  You go north to leave a
room.  You expect to get back by going south, but there is no
south exit.  There is a west exit that does return you to
the original room.  How can this be?  It could be that your
passage way between the rooms makes a dogleg like this:

			  -------
                     -----|     |
                     |    -------

                  +-----+
                  |     |
                  +-----+

Now don't tell me that you assumed all walkways are
straight, did you?  :-)

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

<MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar24.022236.8705@uncecs.edu>, kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) says:

>In article <91082.012358MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu>, MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>> I got Dungeon (the almost-original adventure game that the commercial
>> Zork Trilogy came from) off of ab20 and have started playing it, only
>> to notice a curious thing: the topology is completely nonsensical.
>> Generally, if you enter a room by going east, going east again brings
>> you back to the first room, and so forth. Is it supposed to be like
>> this, or do I have a copy with a subtly damaged map?
>>
>> / Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs -
>MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu
>\
>> | DISCLAIMER? You can't POSSIBLY be serious, can you?         ||   //
>> |   "Doctor, may I speak with you in private?" "All right..." || \X/  AMIGA
>> \== "Have you got a DEATH WISH?!" -- Romana & the Doctor, _Warrior's Gate_
>===/
>

>Consider the following possibility.  You go north to leave a
>room.  You expect to get back by going south, but there is no
>south exit.  There is a west exit that does return you to
>the original room.  How can this be?  It could be that your
>passage way between the rooms makes a dogleg like this:
>
>                          -------
>                     -----|     |
>                     |    -------
>                  +-----+
>                  |     |
>                  +-----+
>
>Now don't tell me that you assumed all walkways are
>straight, did you?  :-)
>

>--
>Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
>             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
>             Mars Hill, NC 28754    {some big name site}!mcnc!ecsvax!kms

Yess, well... the topology is much more bizarre than I would think is natural.
For example, here's part of the Bank of Zork, from my map:
   _________________________________
  /         __________________      \           Now to my untrained eye
 |         /                  \      \          it would appear that the
 |        \/                   \    \|/         Vault Room should be between
 |  |--------|       |--------| \_|-----|       the two teller rooms here,
  \_|W.Teller|       |E.Teller|   |Vault|__     but maybe Lebling & Co. just
    |-------|\       /|-------|  /|-----|   |   this is what your map looks
              \-----/      /\              /    like, then I guess I have
  (up=north)  |Entry|       \_____________/     nothing to complain about.
              |Hall |                           It's still real weird though.
              |-----|
(Also, I have Zork I and it exhibits very little of the bizarre topology
in Dungeon. Maybe they cleaned it up and made it sane for commercial release?)

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (03/26/91)

In article <91083.153714MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu>, MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> In article <1991Mar24.022236.8705@uncecs.edu>, kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) says:
> >
> >In article <91082.012358MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu>, MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> >> I got Dungeon (the almost-original adventure game that the commercial
> >> Zork Trilogy came from) off of ab20 and have started playing it, only
> >> to notice a curious thing: the topology is completely nonsensical.
> >> Generally, if you enter a room by going east, going east again brings
> >> you back to the first room, and so forth. Is it supposed to be like
> >> this, or do I have a copy with a subtly damaged map?
> >>
> >> / Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs -
> >MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu

It might be instructive to compare the version ported by
Rittle to another port of Dungeon.  MS-DOS versions of
both Dungeon and Adventure (350 pt version I believe)
can be obtained by ftp from mibsrv.mib.eng.ua.edu
(130.160.20.80) in pub/games.

> >\
> >
> >Consider the following possibility.  You go north to leave a
> >room.  You expect to get back by going south, but there is no
> >south exit.  There is a west exit that does return you to
> >the original room.  How can this be?  It could be that your
> >passage way between the rooms makes a dogleg like this:
> >
> >                          -------
> >                     -----|     |
> >                     |    -------
> >                  +-----+
> >                  |     |
> >                  +-----+
> >

> Yess, well... the topology is much more bizarre than I would think is natural.
> For example, here's part of the Bank of Zork, from my map:
>    _________________________________
>   /         __________________      \           Now to my untrained eye
>  |         /                  \      \          it would appear that the
>  |        \/                   \    \|/         Vault Room should be between
>  |  |--------|       |--------| \_|-----|       the two teller rooms here,
>   \_|W.Teller|       |E.Teller|   |Vault|__     but maybe Lebling & Co. just
>     | Room   _       _  Room  |__\|Room |  \    wanted to confuse us. If
>     |-------|\       /|-------|  /|-----|   |   this is what your map looks
>               \-----/      /\              /    like, then I guess I have
>   (up=north)  |Entry|       \_____________/     nothing to complain about.
>               |Hall |                           It's still real weird though.
>               |-----|

I haven't mapped out the bank yet, so I can't comment upon
the accuracy of that.  However, I also found that the
spatial arrangement of the rooms on the map is important
in making the passageways seem sensical or nonsensical.

> (Also, I have Zork I and it exhibits very little of the bizarre topology
> in Dungeon. Maybe they cleaned it up and made it sane for commercial release?)

I just obtained a copy of the zork trilogy and have noticed
differences also.  And I agree that some of the topology
does seem a wee bit easier to follow in the commercial version.

> / Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs - MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu \
> | DISCLAIMER? You can't POSSIBLY be serious, can you?         ||   //        ||
> |   "Doctor, may I speak with you in private?" "All right..." || \X/  AMIGA  ||
> \== "Have you got a DEATH WISH?!" -- Romana & the Doctor, _Warrior's Gate_ ===/

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
             Mars Hill, NC 28754    {some big name site}!mcnc!ecsvax!kms

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (04/01/91)

Hello all you Dungeon maniacs,
  Wow, go away for a week (spring break!) with no net -or-
computer access and all HELL breaks loose!  I think I can
safely say that there are no map errors in the version of
Dungeon that I ported to the Amiga.  I have ye old Dungeon
Map that was sent to me by a thankful Amiga person (thanks, Joe...),
and it appears that unless one is outside (not lost in a forest)
or underground in a well kept area, the map is crazy!  There are
many places in the great underground empire where all hell
breaks loose.  The bank area works as descibed in a recent
posting.  East to get in the vault room from the east teller
room and east to get back.  Why?  I don't know, ask the
designers... haha  The mazes are also very difficult to
map unless you know and use a few tricks (that I won't
reveal here :-).

Have fun and remember: there are no bugs in the game! :-)
There are only bugs in your logic (i.e. the echo room problem
we talked about a while ago) or the original design of the game
(i.e. the strange directions used in some places).

Loren J. Rittle
Adventure and Dungeon Porter
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at