[comp.sys.amiga.games] Adventure Policy Statement

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (04/01/91)

Walter,

I won't even address the fact that you changed the issue...
First it was, ``restoring doesn't work'' --- now it's saving/restoring
doesn't work the way I want it to.  Saving and restoring has
always worked (I've only released one version!) and it has
always worked the way the original author wanted it to work.
I don't believe in messing with another's work unless it is broken
or extremely misfeatured (IMHO).  I only ported the game to the
Amiga.   BTW, everyone who thanked me either by wasting bandwidth :-)
or in private (and there have been a number of you... :-), you get
a heart felt ``you're welcome''.  But let us not forget that I only
ported the game.  The real thanks go to Woods and C... mumble.
And the author's of this 'C' version - David Platt and Ken Wellsch.

Every feature I take out or add, makes the likelyhood of
introducing a bug in a well debuged game go up!  If there
was one feature I would take out, it would be the WIZARD mode.
I almost did in fact, but it is SO hard to enter (see Water's
quote below) that I figured no one would find it.  Actually,
WIZARD mode can do quite a bit more than most Adventure players
know and it can actually put you in a position where you can't
win... (but I'm not telling what the `other' cheats of WIZARD
mode are or how you can find them)  [As an aside:  I told
exactly *one* person via email how to enter WIZARD mode and
that he should keep the information to himself.  Guess he
decided not to...  guess I can't trust that person anymore...]

Hell, Walter, if you want to cheat, why don't you just peek in
the `adv.rec' file?  It is mostly text and reveals most of the puzzles.
Hell, why bother playing, just `cheat' and say you won...

In article <16114@chaph.usc.edu> wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:
>For all of you keyboard jokeys here are a few points .

Humm, what is a `keyboard jokeys'?  Is that one well versed in typing
jokes?   Here a good for you, ``How many assholes does it take so
Loren never wants to release free software again?''

>adventure when not in wizard mode will save but not restore even though it
>says that you will have to wait for 30 mins.
>The thing goes something like
>"
>(you) restore
>(comp.) it will take 30 mins. are you sure ?
>(you) yes
>(comp) waiting for 30 mins is unacceptable
>  <then the game shuts off , quicking you back into CLI>
>"

Below is an untouched interaction with a CLI (well, WShell :-),
showing how Save/Restore works in the version of Adventure that
I ported to the Amiga:
Around you is a forest.  A small stream flows out of the building and
down a gully.
> save
I can save your Adventure for you, but if I do you'll have to wait
at least 30 minutes before continuing.
Is this acceptable?
? yes
Ok.

R(0);T(19.233)> date
Sun Mar 31 23:33:04 1991
R(0);T(00.150)> adventure

Welcome to the *new* UNIX Adventure!  Say "NEWS" to get up-to-date
game details.

Would you like instructions?
? n

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
Around you is a forest.  A small stream flows out of the building and
down a gully.
> restore
I'm sorry - only a wizard can restart a game in less than 30 minutes.

R(0);T(31.667)> date
Sun Mar 31 23:34:30 1991
R(0);T(00.150)> date
Mon Apr 01 00:11:26 1991
R(0);T(00.133)> adventure

Welcome to the *new* UNIX Adventure!  Say "NEWS" to get up-to-date
game details.

Would you like instructions?
? n

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
Around you is a forest.  A small stream flows out of the building and
down a gully.
> restore
Ok.

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
Around you is a forest.  A small stream flows out of the building and
down a gully.

<eot>

>(so to all the bozos who said that waiting for 30 was ok and giving off these
> bogus excuses "prevent me from cheating", hey play the amiga version before
> talking : speak with 'connaissance de cause')

They have all played the game, they speak of what they know.  I'm
not sure you do...

>Then from the heavens of the net someone told me how to do a correct save and
>restore :
>
>(comp) <in cli>
>(you) setenv WIZARD Gandalf  <- check the upper/lowercases
>(you) adventure
>(comp) welcome to ....
>(comp) <prompt>
>(you) wizard
>(comp) are you a wizard ?
>(you) yes
>(comp) prove it say the magic word
>(you) slime   <- the password
>(comp) *ah* you are indeed a wizard
>then : restore will work (no 30 mins waits.)

Use this at your own risk, there are some things about WIZARD
mode that detract from your enjoyment of the game.

>				Walter
Asshole, Adventure Wrecker

Loren J. Rittle
Porter of Adventure and Dungeon
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at