[comp.sys.amiga.games] Test Drive III

hollnbgh@coral.bucknell.edu (11/14/90)

Accolade is apparently working on an Amiga version of
Test Drive III.  A friend of mine called Accolade directly
when he found out about the IBM version.  They said the
Amiga version should be available in about 2 weeks.
..of course this was three weeks ago...

Well, They seem to be working on it anyway.

moore@iastate.edu (Moore Brian Joseph) (03/27/91)

Has anyone heard anything about Test Drive III for the Amiga.  I have seen it
advertised, but thats all.

Brian J. Moore
moore@iastate.edu

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) (03/27/91)

In article <moore.670007358@pv0324.vincent.iastate.edu> moore@iastate.edu (Moore Brian Joseph) writes:
>Has anyone heard anything about Test Drive III for the Amiga.  I have seen it
>advertised, but thats all.
>
>Brian J. Moore
>moore@iastate.edu

Im not sure who makes Test Drive 3 but I dont think its coming out until the
summer, if at all. I wrote letters to several game manufacturers about amiga
ports and was told quite a few things:

Falcon 3.0- No plans :-( but the guy had no idea what the english group were
up to

Flight of the intruder- should be out very soon

Wing commander- no plans for port.

I wrote a letter to Compute! Magazine because I noticed their newstand issues
used to have lots of Amiga coverage and now they have virtually none, covering
only the M*c, Ms-D*s and the old commodore 64/128 machines with a few token
mentions of the amiga <like 2 reviews, 1 game and 1 productivity software>
Anyway after a month or so I got <get this> an Empty envelope from Compute.
I opened it and there was nothing in the rather large <legal sized> folder. I
wonder if that was supposed to mean something or did they actually forget to
mail me a reply?

hollnbgh@coral.bucknell.edu (03/28/91)

     A while back I purchased Star Control from Accolade.  I had many
problems getting it to work on my system (I think because of my hardware
configuration:  SupraRAM 2000(2Meg) and Microbotics HardFrame 2000).  I
ended up calling Accolade several times, and got to talking with the
tech rep, and in trying to find out why Star Control was Guruing on my
system, he actually connected me to the programmer who wrote Star Control.

     Well, I didn't get Star Control fixed (I got my money back), but I did
get to talk with the programmer, and asked him about Test Drive III.  He
said that he did not program it for MS-DOS machines, and that there was
no current plans to port it to the Amiga.  I told him that Test Drive,
and especially Test Drive II were great games on the Amiga - because of
their playability - and that I think they should port it over to the Amiga.
He agreed with me and said he would suggest it, but didn't really know
if they ever would.

     I have played Test Drive III on a 25 MHz, VGA equipped, 386 PC. Even
though the graphics are good, and the computer has the speed to display the
graphics ("animate") adequately, the gameplay leaves much to be desired.
The type of graphics is completely different than the previous Test Drives,
but probably not worth the sacrifice for playability.  I think that if it
were to be ported to the Amiga, with enhanced playability, it would be a
success.

 -Dale Hollenbaugh

algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Gregory Bowers) (03/30/91)

hollnbgh@coral.bucknell.edu writes:
>no current plans to port it to the Amiga.  I told him that Test Drive,
>and especially Test Drive II were great games on the Amiga - because of
>their playability - and that I think they should port it over to the Amiga.

Yes they were, but Distinctive Software actually wrote the games,
and I think TDIII was written by someone else for Accolade. So
if that team doesn't want to do Amiga, then we may be stuck.
Someone told me a couple of days ago that he heard TDIII had
already been released, but I wouldn't believe that until I see
'em myself.

BTW Distinctive's last driving game was Stunts (Sports 4D Driving in
Europe). I think it's coming to Amiga sometime.

Amiga is die beste! 'n IBM is 'n rekenaar? Die Mac is net 'n vrot appel!
algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu   Portland TrailBlazers now 51-18 and KICKING ASS!

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (04/01/91)

In article <2123@pdxgate.UUCP> algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Gregory Bowers) writes:

> Yes they were, but Distinctive Software actually wrote the games,
> and I think TDIII was written by someone else for Accolade. So
> if that team doesn't want to do Amiga, then we may be stuck.
> Someone told me a couple of days ago that he heard TDIII had
> already been released, but I wouldn't believe that until I see
> 'em myself.

Actually, Test Drive III was develloped in-house at Accolade. It uses an
ultra-fast 3-D engine built specifically for the 80x86. And yes, "TDIII" has
already been released :-), but not for the Amiga. :-(

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

judge@alchemy.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us (rory toma) (04/02/91)

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

> In article <2123@pdxgate.UUCP> algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Gregory Bowers) writes:
> >
> > Yes they were, but Distinctive Software actually wrote the games,
> > and I think TDIII was written by someone else for Accolade. So
> > if that team doesn't want to do Amiga, then we may be stuck.
> > Someone told me a couple of days ago that he heard TDIII had
> > already been released, but I wouldn't believe that until I see
> > 'em myself.
>
> Actually, Test Drive III was develloped in-house at Accolade. It uses an
> ultra-fast 3-D engine built specifically for the 80x86. And yes, "TDIII" has
> already been released :-), but not for the Amiga. :-(
>
> Valentin
> --
> "An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
>  is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700
>                                                  Usenet:    mips!btr!valentin
>                      - Ancient Inca Proverb      Internet:  valentin@btr.com

Yeah, but I read a review in some PC magazine thatsaid TDIII really
should be played on a 25Mhz 386, or even better a 33Mhz.  Not many PC
gamers have those systems.  They should have done it for the Amiga, a
stock 68000 woulda done just fine.

rory