[comp.sys.amiga.games] Rogue

dbucciar@nyx.UUCP (Dominick J. Bucciarelli ) (06/02/90)

Does anyone know of or have the Amiga version of rogue?  I've been looking
for it for a couple of years now, and have not seen it anywhere.  I'm actually
interested in getting it for sentimental reasons--reliving all those hours
in college when i *shoulda* been studying...

In <5619@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) writes:
> Rogue came out the first year that the Amiga did.
>It was even sold by one mail order company until
>last year. I had a copy but it died when I tried to
>copy it using WB (!), so I can't offer to give you
>one.

Lovely. Can I paraphrase this?

"I'm not going to help steal it, because I don't know how."

>  If anyone else knows of how to get a copy or even
>a new one, I'd like to know too.

Yes, find one in a store and buy it. If you can't find one in a store, find
someone who _owns_ it, and offer to buy it. Barring all this, make do with Hack
or Larn or Moria.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

In article <1235@nyx.UUCP> dbucciar@nyx.UUCP (Dominick J. Bucciarelli (Dom))
writes:

>Does anyone know of or have the Amiga version of rogue?  I've been looking
>for it for a couple of years now, and have not seen it anywhere.  I'm actually
>interested in getting it for sentimental reasons--reliving all those hours
>in college when i *shoulda* been studying...

There is a very nice Amiga Rogue from Epyx, 1986 issue.  I don't know if
you can find it in the stores any more, but glom their address off a box
and mail an inquiry.  This is _not_ just a character graphics game, it is
a full Amiga Graphics game, 3D overhead view, with several kinds of levels
and lots of monsters.  It is simple enough that kids can play it, but
challenging enough to keep an adult occupied for quite a while.  It has
been so long since I played it, I forgot it for my recent multi-game
review.

Kent, the man from xanth.

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/03/90)

In <13227@wpi.wpi.edu>, northrup@wpi.wpi.edu (Jim Northrup) writes:
>In article <1672@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>Lovely. Can I paraphrase this?
>>"I'm not going to help steal it, because I don't know how."
>>
>>Yes, find one in a store and buy it. If you can't find one in a store, find
>>someone who _owns_ it, and offer to buy it. Barring all this, make do with Hack
>>or Larn or Moria.
>
>Not that I'm advocating piracy, but what should he do if the game is
>no longer in print?  If, hypothetically, the game no longer exists as
>a buy-able product, then what choice does he have but to obtain a copy
>in other ways?  And given this hypothetical situation, who would get
>hurt by the copying?  It's not like the company lost a sale, seeing as
>how they don't sell it any more.

Well, I don't know what you would do, but I would probably play Hack instead.
_Someone_ owns the rights to the game, whether it is for sale or not.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

northrup@wpi.wpi.edu (Jim Northrup) (06/04/90)

In article <1672@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>Lovely. Can I paraphrase this?
>"I'm not going to help steal it, because I don't know how."
>
>Yes, find one in a store and buy it. If you can't find one in a store, find
>someone who _owns_ it, and offer to buy it. Barring all this, make do with Hack
>or Larn or Moria.

Not that I'm advocating piracy, but what should he do if the game is
no longer in print?  If, hypothetically, the game no longer exists as
a buy-able product, then what choice does he have but to obtain a copy
in other ways?  And given this hypothetical situation, who would get
hurt by the copying?  It's not like the company lost a sale, seeing as
how they don't sell it any more.

Just curious, because I haven't seen a copy of Rogue on a store shelf
for years now.
--
Jim Northrup                                               northrup@wpi.wpi.edu
Assistant Professor, Mathematical Sciences             WPI, Worcester MA  01609

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/05/90)

 When I tried to copy my original copy of Rogue
using WB, there were NO COPY programs for the Amiga
at all. Yes, it was that long ago that I BOUGHT the
game. Also, as I said before, you cannot BUY the
game anymore since no one carries it and EPYX
doesn't do computer games anymore.

amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman (Amiga Man)) (06/05/90)

In article <13227@wpi.wpi.edu> northrup@wpi.wpi.edu (Jim Northrup) writes:
>Not that I'm advocating piracy, but what should he do if the game is
>no longer in print?  If, hypothetically, the game no longer exists as
>a buy-able product, then what choice does he have but to obtain a copy
>in other ways?  And given this hypothetical situation, who would get
>hurt by the copying?  It's not like the company lost a sale, seeing as
>how they don't sell it any more.
>
>Just curious, because I haven't seen a copy of Rogue on a store shelf
>for years now.
>--
>Jim Northrup                                              northrup@wpi.wpi.edu
>Assistant Professor, Mathematical Sciences            WPI, Worcester MA  01609

Just because a company went out of business doesn't mean that the writers still
don't deserve their money.  Games are always available somehow (buy them from
a mail order house or buy them from someone else.)

At any rate, piracy is ILLEGAL.  I'm not getting up on a soapbox, but if you
want to take the risk, that's up to you, but I didn't pay $2,000 so the FBI
can take away my 2000 when they find out that I copied the game "XYZ" or
something.

Take it for what it's worth.

AMH

* Andy Hartman       | I'd deny half of this crap anyway!|        ///
* Indiana University |-----------------------------------|       ///
*++Construction++++++|   amhartma@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |   \\\///
*+++++++Zone+++++++++|   AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu   |    \XX/

a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) (06/05/90)

> northrup@wpi.wpi.edu writes:
> hurt by the copying?  It's not like the company lost a sale, seeing as
> how they don't sell it any more.

Well, if you can't find a used one, then you're out of luck.
Supposed you copied it...  Supposed lots&lots&lots of people copied it.
If the author (or whoever holds rights to the game) wanted to produce the game
again, it wouldn't be able to finacially, because there would
be no market for it (the market would be saturated).
George Lin
a309@mindlink
uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!George_Lin

northrup@wpi.wpi.edu (Jim Northrup) (06/06/90)

In article <2013@mindlink.UUCP> a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) writes:
>> northrup@wpi.wpi.edu writes:
>> hurt by the copying?  It's not like the company lost a sale, seeing as
>> how they don't sell it any more.
>Well, if you can't find a used one, then you're out of luck.
>Supposed you copied it...  Supposed lots&lots&lots of people copied it.
>If the author (or whoever holds rights to the game) wanted to produce the game
>again, it wouldn't be able to finacially, because there would
>be no market for it (the market would be saturated).

Actually, this topic has mostly moved to e-mail, but just out of curiosity:
Does anybody know of any _games_ that stopped being produced, disappeared
from the shelves, and then started to be produced again, as George
describes?  The only example I can think of was the "Golden Oldies"
bundle, where they took some REAL old games (Pong, Eliza, etc) and
distributed them in one package.

If it's an unheard of phenomenon, then the guy who wanted Epyx's Rogue
really is out of luck, eh?
--

a309@mindlink.UUCP (George Lin) (06/07/90)

> northrup@wpi.wpi.edu writes:
> Does anybody know of any _games_ that stopped being produced, disappeared
> from the shelves, and then started to be produced again, as George
> describes?  The only example I can think of was the "Golden Oldies"
> bundle, where they took some REAL old games (Pong, Eliza, etc) and
> distributed them in one package.

Does Electronic Arts "Return to Atlantis" (?) count?
(Wasn't really taken off the market; just wasn't available.)
-----------------------
George Lin
a309@mindlink
uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!George_Lin

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/10/90)

  OK, hold you laughter, but I did manage to find a
copy of Rogue yesterday; however, it will not work
for me. Yes, I tested out in the store befoer I
bought it on a 500 but my 500 has a fatter aggie and
non-standard memory expansions.
  Also, the store owner said that the package had
sat in his store for over 6 months and that it was
discontinued long before that.
  Anyone wanna buy an ORIGINAL Rogue?

Mark Lieb <sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> (06/12/90)

I have a copy of Rogue.  The game is pretty addictive.  I feel that being
that Epyx is out of the game business and the stores don't sell Rogue any
more, and there is no "public library" where one can get hold of titles
for a short time, that piracy really isn't an issue.  I am sure, however,
that all programmers would be more than happy if people sent them some
sort of "share-wareian" dough.  Their address could be gotten through the
company.

				MaRK

6600mict@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Rigby) (06/13/90)

   I am sorry, but I lost the unix address of the
person who wanted to buy my Rogue off of me. I am
willing and will include the dead copy of Rogue as
well. Send me you unix address or voice # and we'll
hammer out a deal.

rivero@dev8.mdcbbs.com (04/02/91)

Hi

I am a great fan of the old game "Rogue" as issued by Epyx. (I play Hack
as well, but liked Rogue). Rogue, after so much wear on the disk, decided
that it was a copy and will no longer play. I even bought a new copy at a
software closeout, only to discover it was a return for the same reason; the
copy guard system thinks it is a copy instead of the original.
Epyx is long out of business. Anyone know how to reactivate the games? I still
have the disks, and would like to play them again.
Mike