[comp.sys.amiga.games] Knights of the living Deth

rogue@cellar.UUCP (Rogue Winter) (03/27/91)

<y'know, you're just gonna have to get USED to these kinds of titles>

   In the Deth Knight corridor, off the Demon Director level, there are two
crucial things to know:

1) About nin queares before the corridor dead ends, there is a small ("spot")
button on the "outside" wall that opens up the wall a few squares back and
leads to a down stairway.  (The opening is visible if you look through the
walls.)

2) Most important, however, is the fact that the corridor you're in at the
dead end *is not the same* corridor that you were in at the last bend.  About
halfway through, there are two squares that act as an "invisible" teleoport.
You can use these squares to get behind the Deth Knights and go back to the
golem room while you're fighting them, if necessary (and if you've killed the
Knights, you probably did use this method).
   The corridor's placement is borne out if you've been mapping.  By
comparing the locations of the stairway down from the Deth Knight corridor to
the other stairs to level 6 off the Demon Director room, you find out that
you've actually jumped about 36 squares - to the other margin of a sheet of
graph paper.

---SPOILER, of sorts---

Once you're down the stairs, you'll find that what you should already have
learned about level 6 still holds true - there's LOTS of dragons down there.

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (03/28/91)

RE: DETH KNIGHT CORRIDOR IN KU CORBUM.....I don't know where you got
this from, but none of it, except for the part where the teleport
puts you on the other side of the dungeon, is true. There is NO button
between the inscription 'Dead End' and the 'dead end'. The solution
to this is as follows: After moving several paces down the corridor,
you will hear the DETH KNIGHTS teleport in behind you - between you
and the'dead end'. Approximately 4 seconds after they arrive, the
'dead end' will open up behind you. You MUST be standing in this square

for it to happen. So DON'T go back to fight the KNIGHTS when you hear
them - just keep on to the last square. In addition, you CANNOT get
on the other side of the KNIGHTS. There is no DOOR that opens up that
leads to astairway going down! There is NOTHING along here except
a seemingly dead end that opens up as described above.

I think you are confusing the area that you come to AFTER passing
the 'dead end'- this is the spot where there IS a button that opens
the wall leading down to the DRAGONS DEN - but the way you are desribing
it, it sounds like you find this button BEFORE getting past the
'deadend'! It's NOT possible to get on the other side of the DETH
KNIGHTS and back to the 'golem room' as you describe. Moreover, you
will encounter another set of DETH KNIGHTS if you return to the KU
CORBUM doorway, and step on the same spot. So, you will have to fight
another bunch - be prepared! Just thought I'd clarify this.

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

rogue@cellar.UUCP (Rogue Winter) (03/30/91)

Stewart McKinnon writes:

> I think you are confusing the area that you come to AFTER passing
> the 'dead end'- this is the spot where there IS a button that opens
> the wall leading down to the DRAGONS DEN - but the way you are desribing
> it, it sounds like you find this button BEFORE getting past the
> 'deadend'! It's NOT possible to get on the other side of the DETH
> KNIGHTS and back to the 'golem room' as you describe. Moreover, you
> will encounter another set of DETH KNIGHTS if you return to the KU
> CORBUM doorway, and step on the same spot. So, you will have to fight
> another bunch - be prepared! Just thought I'd clarify this.

Confused? No.  Unclear? Yes, I suppose so.

   I was not considering the first barrier in the corridor to be the dead
end.  (In fact, I had nearly forgotten about it.)  I was referring to the
"actual" dead end long after the wall had disappeared, hence all my
references to the bends in the corridor.

The actual map looks something like:

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------|
 ZZ                                                                        |
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------|
#######################################################################|   |
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|   |
|                                                                          |
|   |----------------------------------------------------------------------|
|   |#######################################################################
|   |------------------------------------------------------------------|
|          BB                                     DKA                  |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|to G |

                         |^^|
|-----------------.------|@@|--------------------------------------------
|                                                                      ZZ
|------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where ZZ=the teleporter, BB=the barrier, DKA=Deth Knights Appear
~~~~ represents map sections ignored, .=the button, @@=disappearing wall,
^^=stairway down.

Entering the first section of long corridor, you are given the admonishemt
"DEAD END."  As you progress down the corridor, the Deth Knights appear
behind you.  The barrier will hold for a while, forcing you to fight the
Knights in the short section of corridor.  After a while (I haven't found any
correlation why), the barrier will disappear: just keep facing the knights,
hit them with everything you've got, and trying to back up.  I like to stay
three paces ahead of them when possible and use industrial-strength
fireballs.

When you reach the teleport squares, if you haven't killed the knights
already, wait there until they disappear.  They will keep going down the
corridor and appear behind you.  Then you can back them out toward the
entrance again.  (I have found that you can safely sleep in the two teleport
squares.)  After killing the knights, find the button that opens the
stairway, and go down to the Dragon Den.

'nuf said?

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (03/30/91)

YES......I see what you are saying....I never let them get as far
as the teleport squares - always was in a hurry to nail their asses!
In fact, I usually dispatch the last one at the start of the second
bend. You bring up a good point, there, about being able to get on
the other side of them that way. However, as I said, I thought you
were referring to the first area before passing the fake 'dead end'.
Have you completed the game?

--

rogue@cellar.UUCP (Rogue Winter) (04/03/91)

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) writes:

> Have you completed the game?
>

> --
> Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
> UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon
> Internet: Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org

Soon, soon.  The answers I was giving were from memories of over three months
ago when I was playing it on my roommate's ST.  (No flames, that's what the
wall jets are for.)

I just picked up the Amiga version this weekend, and have been having a tuly
grand time.  (Actually, I've got two game saves running - one where I've just
gotten the Ku corbum, and another afterward where I've got two characters
lying dead in the Demon Directors' chamber and the other two have gone off
without them, picking up the Emerald and Torquise keys.)

One thing disappointed me about the Amiga version: the magic map.  (Which is
being "carried" by one of the dead characters on the second disk...)  I
thought it was a bit unnecessary to include it, especially in the starting
room.  [Of course, I've used the written maps I made from the ST version, so
who am I to judge?]  Making the original maps from the ST version was great
fun.

Current status: fighting off the coatl in the Dain maze and trying to
remember how that "BRIDGE" works.