[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings: A total disappointment

"PETER C. FREY" <PFREY%drew.bitnet@pucc.princeton.edu> (04/02/91)

I've been subscribed to this list for some months now, and ever since
Lemmings was released, about every other message has been by a firm
supporter of Lemmings.

After a couple months of these messages, I decided to purchase Lemmings
for myself.  That proved to be an uneventful date.

I was at first taken in by the 'cute' theme song and novel idea behind
the game.  The song, which sounded suspiciously like a digital version
of the song to My Fair Lady, was redone in almost every possible way in
each level.  The 'Menacing' level on Tricky was one exception to the
continuous variations of the same theme.

When I became stuck on those occasional difficult levels, the once 'cute'
and poppy song became so annoying I had to turn the sound off.

The graphics of the program are not completely smooth.  That is not my main
critique of the graphics, however.  The only time I was able to see just
what a 'Lemming' is, according to the programmers, was in the intro.  The
intro itself was short and inoffensive.  The main critique I have of the
graphics, which look like something I would expect from Atari ST programmers
or for IBM VGA, is that the Lemmings were tiny little figures on the screen.
A friend of mine and I laughed at Robocop 2's figure of Robocop.  Lemmings
are in the same vein, only more miniscule.

The entire 'novel' idea of the game is one that would appeal to the preschooler.
It is cute and inoffensive, as stated above.  The music is something out of
a Fischer Price game.  The blowing up and shattering of the lemmings is similar
to a Tom & Jerry's cartoon, where figures are blown up like just one more
function of their lives.

The fact that each level can be played over and over again places no importance
in each time you play.  In just about every game I've played, it Matters whether
you succeed or not.

The way the game makes a level difficult, is on a very technical level.  On
the levels that were difficult, and there are very few of them, you had to
click the mouse on the Lemming to cause it to perform a certain act at a very
precise instant.  If this is not done, all else is for naught, and you have
to go through the entire process again.

You don't fail at a level because it is complex.  You fail at the level because
of one technical mistake; a mistake that you know how to surmount, only you
did not hit the button at the precise moment.

I got through the fun, tricky, and taxing in little over 20 hours spent over
the first two days after purchase.  By the time I started into mayhem, the
game had become too routine for me.  I'll admit the two player part of the
game looks interesting, but of no tribute to the game.  It looks interesting
because the monotony of the game is broken by competition with a person.

As I write this now, I am on my way to a friend's room.  There, I shall give
over this annoying little game to him, to see if he finds it as simple as I.

Sorry if this letter disturbs those enthusiastic about the game, but perhaps
the version I have is not the same as those others have found exciting..?
Perhaps, by the look of it, I was slipped a mac or atari st version of the
game with a built in emulator..?  I doubt that, for I have read the box many
times.  That would be too easy an explanation.

Now if you want a real game, get one with more depth.  Xenon 2, R-type,
Carrier Command, and many other games available to the Amiga are just a few
examples of games where the graphics are excellent, the sound is worth hearing
over and over again, and you don't need a magnifying glass to see the features.

                                        Peter C. Frey

*       //|                                                    //        *
*      // |                                  ||\              //         *
*     //__|  ||\   //|  --------  -------_   ||\\       \\   //          *
*    //---|  ||\\ // |     ||     ||  __  _  ||_\\       \\ //           *
*   //    |  || \\/  |  ___||___  |_____||   ||  \\       \\/            *
*                                                                        *
*       "WHERE MACINTOSH IS JUST ANOTHER NAME FOR A ROTTEN APPLE"        *

cs360x2a@ducvax.auburn.edu (HASH BROWNS) (04/03/91)

In article <49497@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, PFREY%drew.bitnet@pucc.princeton.edu (PETER C. FREY) writes:
> After a couple months of these messages, I decided to purchase Lemmings
> for myself.  That proved to be an uneventful date.
> The intro itself was short and inoffensive.  The main critique I have of the
> graphics, which look like something I would expect from Atari ST programmers
> or for IBM VGA, is that the Lemmings were tiny little figures on the screen.
The graphics were high quality.  Sounds like you just didn't like what there
were, cute and benign.  They met my expectations of what Amiga gfx should be;
full of detail, distinct, shaded, textured, et ceter-ed.  As for the size of
the lemmings... they "were tiny little figures" is your game-shattering
complaint?  The animation did a great job of defining their shape, which is
a lot better than a poorly animated big figure.

> The way the game makes a level difficult, is on a very technical level.  On
> the levels that were difficult, and there are very few of them, you had to
> click the mouse on the Lemming to cause it to perform a certain act at a very
> precise instant.  If this is not done, all else is for naught, and you have
> to go through the entire process again.
Here, I agree.  Some of the harder levels were simply tedious, but not
challenging...  in fact, they were even fun.  This wasn't the case with the
early harder levels, but it was as the game progressed.

> Sorry if this letter disturbs those enthusiastic about the game, but perhaps
> the version I have is not the same as those others have found exciting..?
Now you're just baiting.  "Maybe there are two versions, my shitty one, and the
ones y'all were talking about?"  Yeah, right.
--
      ________                       __________
     /_______/        __________    /_________/   cs360x2A@DucVAX.Auburn.EDU

markg@amix.commodore.com (Mark Gardner) (04/03/91)

PFREY%drew.bitnet@pucc.princeton.edu (PETER C. FREY) writes:

> I've been subscribed to this list for some months now, and ever since
> Lemmings was released, about every other message has been by a firm
> supporter of Lemmings.
>
> After a couple months of these messages, I decided to purchase Lemmings
> for myself.  That proved to be an uneventful date.
>
> I was at first taken in by the 'cute' theme song and novel idea behind
> the game.  The song, which sounded suspiciously like a digital version
> of the song to My Fair Lady, was redone in almost every possible way in
> each level.  The 'Menacing' level on Tricky was one exception to the
> continuous variations of the same theme.

Myself, I turn the soundtrack off in favor of the sound F/X.  Ditto for
just about every other game I have that offers a choice (like Blood
Money).

> When I became stuck on those occasional difficult levels, the once 'cute'
> and poppy song became so annoying I had to turn the sound off.
>
> The graphics of the program are not completely smooth.  That is not my main
> critique of the graphics, however.  The only time I was able to see just
> what a 'Lemming' is, according to the programmers, was in the intro.  The
> intro itself was short and inoffensive.  The main critique I have of the
> graphics, which look like something I would expect from Atari ST programmers
> or for IBM VGA, is that the Lemmings were tiny little figures on the screen.
> A friend of mine and I laughed at Robocop 2's figure of Robocop.  Lemmings
> are in the same vein, only more miniscule.

I suppose the idea with the teensy lemming characters is to be able to
see the screens as full-height instead of having to scroll vertically.
Me, I find the li'l buggers cute.  (Oh wait, that isn't a redeeming
feature to you, is it?  :-)

> The entire 'novel' idea of the game is one that would appeal to the preschool
> It is cute and inoffensive, as stated above.  The music is something out of
> a Fischer Price game.  The blowing up and shattering of the lemmings is simil
> to a Tom & Jerry's cartoon, where figures are blown up like just one more
> function of their lives.

And what's wrong with Tom & Jerry cartoons?  :-)  Maybe you have to have
a certain mindset for it.  Did you really think the game would be some
sort of drama, with lemmings agonizing over the lot that life has dealt
them?  :-)

> The fact that each level can be played over and over again places no importan
> in each time you play.  In just about every game I've played, it Matters whet
> you succeed or not.
>
> The way the game makes a level difficult, is on a very technical level.  On
> the levels that were difficult, and there are very few of them, you had to
> click the mouse on the Lemming to cause it to perform a certain act at a very
> precise instant.  If this is not done, all else is for naught, and you have
> to go through the entire process again.
>
> You don't fail at a level because it is complex.  You fail at the level becau
> of one technical mistake; a mistake that you know how to surmount, only you
> did not hit the button at the precise moment.

This could be said for many games.  Of course, in the basic shoot-em-up,
this is also called "kill or be killed".  Psygnosis has done a good job
of making this particular video-game theme a little less xenophobic.

> I got through the fun, tricky, and taxing in little over 20 hours spent over
> the first two days after purchase.  By the time I started into mayhem, the
> game had become too routine for me.  I'll admit the two player part of the
> game looks interesting, but of no tribute to the game.  It looks interesting
> because the monotony of the game is broken by competition with a person.

Yeesh, do you SLEEP?  No wonder the soundtrack was so annoying to you - I
don't want to hear anything that sounds absolutely WONDERFUL for 20
hours.... :-)

> As I write this now, I am on my way to a friend's room.  There, I shall give
> over this annoying little game to him, to see if he finds it as simple as I.
>
> Sorry if this letter disturbs those enthusiastic about the game, but perhaps
> the version I have is not the same as those others have found exciting..?
> Perhaps, by the look of it, I was slipped a mac or atari st version of the
> game with a built in emulator..?  I doubt that, for I have read the box many
> times.  That would be too easy an explanation.

<stuff deleted about what makes a 'real game'>

Hey, you didn't like the game - it didn't appeal to you.  It happens.
Like I said above, perhaps it requires a certain mindset.  I know folks
who are absolutely annoyed by Tetris, or couldn't stand through five
minutes of Dungeon Master, two other highly-acclaimed games.  IT HAPPENS.

Now, where did I put my joystick?  :-)

 -MG

--
"Reversing entropy is every-   | Mark J. Gardner   --  "Accidental Angel"

jamie@defoe.enet.dec.com (04/03/91)

...and notice that although he didn't like the game he still spent over
twenty hours playing it!