[comp.sys.amiga.games] lemmings: A total disapointment

PFREY%drew.bitnet@pucc.princeton.edu (PETER C. FREY) (04/04/91)

_IN%"cs360x2a@ducvax.auburn.edu"  "HASH BROWNS"  writes:

>The graphics were high quality.

High quality?  Maybe for an Atari.  I've seen equivalent games on the Atari,
Ibm, and Mac.  If high quality for the Amiga is matched by those computers,
then the Amiga doesn't live up to its rep in exceptional graphics.  If you
want to see Amiga graphics at their best, look at some of the demos being put
out these days.  ProVista and Disney Animation are also good examples of
Amiga graphics at their best.  Maybe you just haven't seen Amiga graphics at
their best..?

>Sounds like you just didn't like what there were, cute and benign.

I did say they were cute in benign.  So cute and benign, it should come
complimentary with every Teddy Rukspin doll sold.

>  They met my expectations of what Amiga gfx should be;
>full of detail, distinct, shaded, textured, et ceter-ed.

Your expectations may not be as high as others.  In that case, I'm sure the
game DID meet with them.

>As for the size of
>the lemmings... they "were tiny little figures" is your game-shattering
>complaint?

Much like those who critisized the movie Dick Tracy because Warren Beatty
was lame, I critisize the lemmings for being lamers.  Why?  BECAUSE THEY ARE
THE VERY THING THE GAME IS ABOUT.

>  The animation did a great job of defining their shape, which is
>a lot better than a poorly animated big figure.

I thought the lemmings in the intro, which were much bigger than the insectlike
lemmings in the game, were well animated.  In fact, if the graphics of the
lemmings and the background in the game equalled those in the intro, then I
would support the game.

>Here, I agree.  Some of the harder levels were simply tedious, but not
>challenging...  in fact, they were even fun.  This wasn't the case with the
>early harder levels, but it was as the game progressed.

Yes, they were fun...at least until I went through 60 levels of 'fun.'

>> Sorry if this letter disturbs those enthusiastic about the game, but perhaps
>> the version I have is not the same as those others have found exciting..?

>Now you're just baiting.  "Maybe there are two versions, my shitty one, and the
>ones y'all were talking about?"  Yeah, right.

You bet I was baiting.

                                                - PFREY@DREW.BITNET

Disclaimer:  I always get the last word.