[comp.sys.amiga.games] Copy protection, etc

roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (04/01/91)

xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent the man from xanth) writes...

>Lost Turrican I in four hours of play time, too.  Grrr.
>Nuke Copy Protection! Up the Jolly Roger!

Well I too am a bit upset over the horrors of copy protection.  I'm mad, I'm
furious!  I'm scared of losing my only copy which I can't back up.  I really
hate the idea that when I get a Hard Drive, many of my games cannot go on it.
 I'm also upset that my games don't multi-task.  Copy Protection sucks!
It makes me want to go out and kick the #@#@%$! out of the people that caused
this situation.  No, I'm not talking about the games developers or the
software houses.  I'm talking about software pirates.  SOFTWARE PIRATES CAUSE
COPY PROTECTION.  Don't anyone tell you any different.  Sure, we all hate
having to pay for things.  I hate having to pay for my computer, but I didn't
steal it!

%g     __
%g    |__) _   __   %wGEnie: R.EARL4
%g    | \ (_) (_/  %wUsenet: roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca
%g            _/

colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (04/02/91)

> xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent the man from xanth) writes...
> >Lost Turrican I in four hours of play time, too.  Grrr.

Always play from a backup!!!
I play Turrican II on a backup of my original made with XCopy III.
I play lemmings on a backup of my original made with Action Replay II.

Note: this is not piracy, only personal archival, since backups of backup with
XCopy III will fail, and copies made with Action Replay won't load on machines
which don't have the same memory config as yours.

--
Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) (04/02/91)

In article <roger_earl.3395@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca> roger_earl@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) writes:
>xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent the man from xanth) writes...
>
>>Lost Turrican I in four hours of play time, too.  Grrr.
>>Nuke Copy Protection! Up the Jolly Roger!
>
>Well I too am a bit upset over the horrors of copy protection.  I'm mad, I'm
>furious!  I'm scared of losing my only copy which I can't back up.  I really
>hate the idea that when I get a Hard Drive, many of my games cannot go on it.
> I'm also upset that my games don't multi-task.  Copy Protection sucks!
>It makes me want to go out and kick the #@#@%$! out of the people that caused
>this situation.  No, I'm not talking about the games developers or the
>software houses.  I'm talking about software pirates.  SOFTWARE PIRATES CAUSE
>COPY PROTECTION.  Don't anyone tell you any different.  Sure, we all hate
>having to pay for things.  I hate having to pay for my computer, but I didn't
>steal it!

this is nothing more than the same arguments rehashed by software companies.
If you removed all copy protection, im quite sure you will not have as much
piracy as you have now. It will still exist but I think more people would
indeed be inclined to purchase the software. I know alot of pirates for the
Amiga and who were pirates on the old commodore 64 and copy protection was the
#1 reason why they said they would not or did not buy software. I also dont
think games should cost more than $30 unless they are large and very nice.

 colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
> xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent the man from xanth) writes...
>> Lost Turrican I in four hours of play time, too.  Grrr.

> Always play from a backup!!!

> I play Turrican II on a backup of my original made with XCopy III.

> I play lemmings on a backup of my original made with Action Replay II.

> Note: this is not piracy, only personal archival, since backups of
> backup with XCopy III will fail, and copies made with Action Replay
> won't load on machines which don't have the same memory config as
> yours.

I've quite given up trying to keep copy software to beat out vendor's
copy protection, to make the backups the law says I should be able to
make in any case.

The cost of that copy software just becomes a hidden tax on playing the
copy protected games, paid to uninvolved third parties, and the cost
compared to the replacement media cost would never be recovered before
the new copy protection schemes made them useless.  I don't care to
finance that race any more.

I won't buy Turrican II, though Turrican I was a tremendous amount of
fun for as long as the media survived. I won't buy any game from
Psygnosis until they officially make HD installation, without key disk
or other media failure prone requirements, standard company policy. I
will grind my teeth a lot, but submit to word in the manual copy or
code-wheel protection.

I do understand the effects of piracy on game manufactureres, I just
refuse to suffer the inconvenience of rapidly failing media, and
battered floppy drives, any longer from vendors who treat the people who
buy their games legitimately as crooks, and solve their piracy problems
by inconveniencing the paying customers and treating with contempt.

I can hardly wait for CDTV; CDs are copyable to CDs only with $100K
press machine hardware, or $5000 rewritable CD drives and $120 media,
the impetus is there to defeat copying to floppy disks by making the
games _huge_ (it is easy to put enough game data on a CD that the cost
of copying it to floppies exceeds the cost of the game), which just
means more fun for me, and the media is close to failure proof; I
regularly stick CD audio albums on repeat and leave them playing for
days without media problems. (The problem with my brain turning to
Wheetena as a result is a separate issue! ;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.