[comp.sys.amiga.games] Epic in England.

paul@abekrd.co.uk (Paul Cameron) (04/02/91)

	There has been a bit of talk in this group on Epic, although most
entries were made as replies to an original request for information on Wing
Commander and therefore probably passed some people by.

	Epic is distributed in England by Ocean and has been available for a
few months now. It is available in Amiga, ST and IBM formats and appears to
cost around 15-20 pounds.

	I don't have the game myself but have scanned all the publications I
have come across since it's launch for reports/comment. I have been thinking of
getting it myself but, with a tight budget to contend with, want to make sure I
do not waste my money.

	I read some blurb that said that Epic came from the `same team that
bought you F29 Retaliator'. To my way of thinking this is not good news. F29 is
still riddled with bugs, even on the updated version, although when it does run
it is quite pretty. Let us hope Epic is a little more bug free though.

	I have seen stills of Epic and they look very exciting. Pictures of
spaceships pulling into docking bays etc.. Problem is one can't tell if the
stills one sees are opening screen stills, in which case one would expect that
kind of quality, or on-the-fly stills in which case one is looking at something
special.

	Magazines have been reluctant in England to sing Epic's praises. It
hasn't appeared in any top ten ratings, and I have seen no in-depth reports on
it as one would expect from a new trail blazing game. One can only therefore
come to the conclusion it isn't up to much at all.

	I read comment that Epic is a shoot-em-up, and nothing more, and from
somewhere else that it is like Awesome. This does not sound good for something
that, as I saw somewhere else, perports to be a flight simulator!

	Apart from that I have found nothing, but maybe that is news in itself!
If distributors have not been in any hurry to release Epic in other countries,
as people seem to be suggesting in this news group, I think one can only
assume Epic isn't a very exciting distribution prospect for them.

	Has anyone got this game out there? How's about putting pen to paper
(alright - finger to keyboard !) and giving us all the in-depth report the
press seem reluctant to give themselves. Or are you frankly too embarassed to
admit you spent your money unwisely!

	Thanks, in prior appreciation of efforts made.

colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr2.094154.15231@abekrd.co.uk>, paul@abekrd.co.uk (Paul
Cameron) writes:
> Magazines have been reluctant in England to sing Epic's praises. It
> hasn't appeared in any top ten ratings, and I have seen no in-depth reports
> on
> it as one would expect from a new trail blazing game. One can only therefore
> come to the conclusion it isn't up to much at all.

Or that it is not out yet. Just because it appears to be available in mail order
advertisments doesnt means at all that it is available.

As far as I know it isn't even in beta-test...

--
Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

buffa@yeu.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.094154.15231@abekrd.co.uk>, paul@abekrd.co.uk (Paul Cameron) writes:
> 	Epic is distributed in England by Ocean and has been available for a
> few months now. It is available in Amiga, ST and IBM formats and appears to
> cost around 15-20 pounds.

Epic is not available yet. Magazines only showed screnns coming from
unfinished versions, and never tested the game itself. I read an interview of
the programmers and they said it will be out in six months, and it may be
longer if the game does not satisfy them. They are really ashame that F29 has
been marketed while it was not completely finished due to a too constraining
contract with Ocean.

Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65

paul@abekrd.co.uk (Paul Cameron) (04/04/91)

In <10673@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:

>In article <1991Apr2.094154.15231@abekrd.co.uk>, paul@abekrd.co.uk (Paul
>Cameron) writes:
>> Magazines have been reluctant in England to sing Epic's praises. It
>> hasn't appeared in any top ten ratings, and I have seen no in-depth reports
>> on
>> it as one would expect from a new trail blazing game. One can only therefore
>> come to the conclusion it isn't up to much at all.

>Or that it is not out yet. Just because it appears to be available in mail order
>advertisments doesnt means at all that it is available.

>As far as I know it isn't even in beta-test...

>--
>Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
>Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

	Yes, you're correct, as confirmed by my local games pusher, Epic has as
yet not been released.

	Further to this Ocean confirm that it will be released in September '91,
which probably means `earliest possible from September'. The game is however in
their latest brochure, so at least they are confident enough to do a bit of
typesetting etc. for it.

	I must say in passing, I have learned something from all this, as my
local pusher has been advertising Epic as an off-the-shelf item since last
summer. I suppose he hopes people will walk in and bye something else instead?

	Thank goodness they don't use the same marketing ploy on food. We'd all
starve to death !! "Big Mac, regular french fries and a strawberry milk shake?
Certainly sir, here is a picture of what it will look like, and we will have it
all ready for you to pick up next September. Have a nice day !!!!"