[comp.sys.amiga.games] WIZARDRY VI

atul@cadence.com (Atul Srinivasan) (02/27/91)

Okay, how the hell do you exit the damn first level of the castle to get back to
the main menu. I'd like to exchange a character or two, and it seems like
I can't do that. HELP. Please.

Also any suggestions for initial spell selection, or distribution of skills.

Thx
Atul
atul@cadence.com

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb26.202305.19696@cadence.com> atul@cadence.com (Atul Srinivasan) writes:
>Okay, how the hell do you exit the damn first level of the castle to get back to
>the main menu. I'd like to exchange a character or two, and it seems like
>I can't do that. HELP. Please.

if I remember correctly from the manual, there isn't really a way to exchange
characters in your party.  you can remove them, and add new ones, but the
removed characters get deleted.

>Also any suggestions for initial spell selection, or distribution of skills.

I have been using heal, sleep, knock knock, and direction nearly exclusively
so far, but then, I am still in the very early stages of the game myself.
I find skill points harder to assign, and dependent on class.

>Thx
>Atul
>atul@cadence.com

all in all, I am enjoying this game, but am annoyed by the clunky user
interface, the EGA graphics, and the fact that it expects all the game
disks to be in df0: if you don't install it on a hard drive.

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (02/28/91)

In article <11699@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) writes:
>In article <1991Feb26.202305.19696@cadence.com> atul@cadence.com (Atul Srinivasan) writes:
>>Okay, how the hell do you exit the damn first level of the castle to get back to
>>the main menu. I'd like to exchange a character or two, and it seems like
>>I can't do that. HELP. Please.
>>

>if I remember correctly from the manual, there isn't really a way to exchange
>characters in your party.  you can remove them, and add new ones, but the
>removed characters get deleted.

Actually, you can't exchange characters in your party at all (according
to the Amiga-specific instruction card, anyway).  The manual says you can,
but you can't.  Once you start the game, you're stuck with the characters
you've selected (more realistic that way, anyhow -- what would a first
level character be doing wandering around in a dungeon?)

>>Also any suggestions for initial spell selection, or distribution of skills.
>>

>I have been using heal, sleep, knock knock, and direction nearly exclusively
>so far, but then, I am still in the very early stages of the game myself.
>I find skill points harder to assign, and dependent on class.

For starting out, I would highly recommend a Bard (assuming all starting
Bard's come with a Lute, which can be used to cast unlimited sleep
spells....).  Other than that, just get a couple fighting types, a thief
type, and some spell-casters.  I started with a Fighter, Valkyrie, Ranger,
Bard, Psionic, and Bishop.

The thing is, switching classes is quite useful, and you may not end up
sticking with the classes you started with.

As for assigning skill points, don't bother putting many in the fighting
attributes, as those go up automatically.  Put them in spell-casting,
scouting, etc.

>all in all, I am enjoying this game, but am annoyed by the clunky user
>interface, the EGA graphics, and the fact that it expects all the game
>disks to be in df0: if you don't install it on a hard drive.

I've been playing from a hard drive, which is quite smooth, so I wasn't
aware that they didn't know how to use extra floppy drives.  For a
5-disk game, that'd be pretty freaking annoying...  (but I think you
could assign the save-game disk to df1: or df2:, so on a 2-drive system,
it might actually work logically (I don't know about you, but I
save/restore a *lot*...).

	Nancy

Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
uunet!tegra!nad       | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts

cpc@czaeap.UUCP (Chris Cebelenski) (03/02/91)

In article <11699@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, Boing writes:

> In article <1991Feb26.202305.19696@cadence.com> atul@cadence.com (Atul Srinivasan) writes:
> >Okay, how the hell do you exit the damn first level of the castle to get back to
> >the main menu. I'd like to exchange a character or two, and it seems like
> >I can't do that. HELP. Please.
> >

> if I remember correctly from the manual, there isn't really a way to exchange
> characters in your party.  you can remove them, and add new ones, but the
> removed characters get deleted.

Right.	The exchange option was removed because it ruined the design
goal of "one adventure, one party."

> >Also any suggestions for initial spell selection, or distribution of skills.
> >

> I have been using heal, sleep, knock knock, and direction nearly exclusively
> so far, but then, I am still in the very early stages of the game myself.
> I find skill points harder to assign, and dependent on class.
>
> >Thx
> >Atul
> >atul@cadence.com
>
> all in all, I am enjoying this game, but am annoyed by the clunky user
> interface, the EGA graphics, and the fact that it expects all the game
> disks to be in df0: if you don't install it on a hard drive.

yes, rather annoying...

I'm stuck at about the point where your just about out of keys, and
there are still puzzles left... some specific wants:

*  What do I do about the bell tower?  It seems I can't swing across that
   rope more than once.  Is levitate the answer??

*  What about the gate that is opened with the gold key and has the snakes
   in it's lower half.

*  What's the pirate's den password??????  (UGH!)  Alternativly, where
   did Captain Matey bury his treasure?  This is driving me nuts!

That should about do it.. There are other sticking points (likes holes in
walls, door that are wizard locked, gates with no keys, etc.) that are
annoying, but I DO want to solve some of this myself!!

> #! rnews 1981
    Chris Cebelenski        UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage                : cpc@czaeap.UUCP
                                 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
                               \X/
               Sex, and Drugs, and Rock and Roll-Playing!     (DEVO RULES)
NOTE: Due to brain dead mailers, this message can *NOT* be REPLIED to, to
reach me you MUST send a NEW message.  Sorry!

jimmy@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) (03/03/91)

In the Amiga Version the System's Reference Card says that the 'Replace'
option has been removed so, you are only allowed to have separate parties
without being able to exchange characters.

In article <18c2a738.ARN0e77@czaeap.UUCP> cpc@czaeap.UUCP writes:
>I'm stuck at about the point where your just about out of keys, and
>there are still puzzles left... some specific wants:
>
>*  What do I do about the bell tower?  It seems I can't swing across that
>   rope more than once.  Is levitate the answer??

Keep trying.  Sometimes it takes more than one try to make it across.

>*  What about the gate that is opened with the gold key and has the snakes
>   in it's lower half.

Am a little confused with this one.  If I remember correctly the gold key
opens the gate where you get the Key of Ramm.  Don't remember snakes but
do remember Jungle vines.  Or there is the dungeon area where there is
the one serpent.

>*  What's the pirate's den password??????  (UGH!)  Alternativly, where
>   did Captain Matey bury his treasure?  This is driving me nuts!

For the Pirate's den password you just have to find the Deadman's log
which is coded til you find the decoder ring which is in the dungeon.  To
get into the dungeon you will need the Book of Ramm and the Key of Ramm.
When you read the Deadman's log you will know where Captain Matey buried
his treasure and then just tell Queequeg which he will then tell you what
the captain's den password is.

>That should about do it.. There are other sticking points (likes holes in
>walls, door that are wizard locked, gates with no keys, etc.) that are
>annoying, but I DO want to solve some of this myself!!

Don't worry you still have a lot more to go.

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (03/06/91)

In article <18c2a738.ARN0e77@czaeap.UUCP> cpc@czaeap.UUCP writes:
>In article <11699@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, Boing writes:
>

>> all in all, I am enjoying this game, but am annoyed by the clunky user
>> interface, the EGA graphics, and the fact that it expects all the game
>> disks to be in df0: if you don't install it on a hard drive.
>
>yes, rather annoying...

This would be annoying.  I've been playing off a hard disk (which is
very smooth), and wasn't aware of the problem.  How often does one
have to switch disks?

>I'm stuck at about the point where your just about out of keys, and
>there are still puzzles left... some specific wants:
>
>*  What do I do about the bell tower?  It seems I can't swing across that
>   rope more than once.  Is levitate the answer??

The belfry is misleading.  Both sides appear identical, unless I suppose,
you have a direction spell going.  One side has a locked door for which you
need the Bell Key (which is located in a dungeon somewhere, which you
will find after you find the altar, etc.).  When you swing, sometimes
you make it across, and sometimes not.  The only way to tell is to
try the door.

Meanwhile, swinging on the rope is a great way to get experience points.
I would swing there until the whole party is about level 4-5.

>*  What about the gate that is opened with the gold key and has the snakes
>   in it's lower half.

Not sure what you mean about snakes.  There is a puzzle to solve here.
If you push all the right buttons, you will be able to make all the
pits go away, and will find a treasure chest (I forget what is in it).

>*  What's the pirate's den password??????  (UGH!)  Alternativly, where
>   did Captain Matey bury his treasure?  This is driving me nuts!

You need the Key of RAAM (located in the main level, in the room with
the blood stain in the middle of the floor).  Then you need to get into
the King's bedroom, and use the key to open some gates there.  This will
lead you to that altar room and some other goodies.  Eventually you must
find the Deadman's Log and a Coder ring, which will reveal where the
treasure is buried.  Tell Queequeg where the treasure is, and he will
tell you the password.

>That should about do it.. There are other sticking points (likes holes in
>walls, door that are wizard locked, gates with no keys, etc.) that are
>annoying, but I DO want to solve some of this myself!!

There are several gates in the castle that you won't find keys for until
much later.  Also, doors that appear Wizard Locked (the Spade Door, the
Gem Door, the Belfry Door) just need special keys.

This is a great game!!

	Nancy

Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
uunet!tegra!nad       | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts

wolff@pbinfo.uni-paderborn.de (Marcus Horstmann) (04/04/91)

Hint: The Wizard Ring can use as a key!

that should help many in theis area.

  Marcus
==                         mail :  Marcus Horstmann                  ==
==       //  Amiga                 Liboriberg 22                     ==
==      //     is                  W-4790 Paderborn                  ==
==  \\ //     FUN!                 Germany                           ==
==   \X/   (Isn't it?)     Tel. :  ++49-5251-27406                   ==
==                         email:  wolff@uni-paderborn.de            ==