[comp.sys.amiga.games] Omega1.50

jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu (Jonathan David Abbey) (03/27/91)

I downloaded this game and installed it on my system, and it is wonderful!
Omega the way it was never meant to be played, but should have!

The problem is that it crashes rather frequently, usually with an address
error, but occasionally (once) with a line A exception.

Here's my configuration that I am running it in:
Amiga 1000, 2.5 megs of ram, 68000 vanilla
two units of RRamDisk, omega executables and files in fast1: and saved levels
and such on fast0:.

I've tried stack up to 60000 with no change in behavior.

It seems that it crashes more frequently when it is about to open a window,
particularly the file requester window and the overhead view window.  This
is just a perception, however.

Software running in my system:
AutoCLI
SRT
SKsh/ArpShell
RRamDisk

I've tried running the game from the RRamDisk immediately after booting,
before SKsh/ArpShell has loaded, and the behavior remains the same.

Other experiences would be appreciated.

Jonathan David Abbey              \"Take your place on the great Mandela" P,P&M
the university of texas at austin  \  jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu     "Love me, love
computer science/math?/psychology?  \ (512) 472-2052              my Amiga" -Me

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (03/27/91)

> I downloaded this game and installed it on my system, and it is wonderful!
> Omega the way it was never meant to be played, but should have!
I just got it today, too...

> The problem is that it crashes rather frequently, usually with an address
> error, but occasionally (once) with a line A exception.
It has crashed every single time I have tried to play it as soon as I try to
move past the guards at the front gate of Rampart.

> Here's my configuration that I am running it in:
> Amiga 1000, 2.5 megs of ram, 68000 vanilla
> two units of RRamDisk, omega executables and files in fast1: and saved levels
> and such on fast0:.
Mine is:
A1000 with 2.5 megs, 68000 vanilla (hmmm...)
40 meg Tiny-Tiger hard drive
OMEGA files in a subdirectory in my GAMES directory, with the config file
edited to reflect that fact...

> I've tried stack up to 60000 with no change in behavior.
So have I...up to 80000...

> It seems that it crashes more frequently when it is about to open a window,
> particularly the file requester window and the overhead view window.  This
> is just a perception, however.
You got a LOT farther than I got...

> Software running in my system:
> AutoCLI
> SRT
> SKsh/ArpShell
> RRamDisk
In mine:
MachIII (which I turned off)
SRT (love it!)
WShell
VirusX (also turned off)

> I've tried running the game from the RRamDisk immediately after booting,
> before SKsh/ArpShell has loaded, and the behavior remains the same.
>
> Other experiences would be appreciated.
There ya go...

> --
> Jonathan David Abbey              \"Take your place on the great Mandela" P,P&
> the university of texas at austin  \  jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu     "Love me, lov
> computer science/math?/psychology?  \ (512) 472-2052              my Amiga" -M

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~second-hand smoke is THEFT~~~

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (03/27/91)

Anyone who is experiencing crashes with OMEGA 1.5 should note that I got it
to run just fine last night on my 1000, by setting the stack to 150000.
                                        ^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^ ^^ ^^^^^^^
The manual sez that the stack should be 15000. Twice.
I will experiment tonight to find the minimum stack size that will avoid
crashes and post the results here.

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~second-hand smoke is THEFT~~~

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) (03/28/91)

From reading about Omega that just came over the net, it seems like everone
is having different problems. Me too.

On my 3000, 2Megs of memory, stack 10000 (just to be safe) WB2.0
it starts up fine but when it draws the town screen, it runs off the bottom
of the screen, and only around half of it shows up. The screen it opens is
640 x 200, and from what I can see, it looks like maybe it should be
a 640 x 400 screen (since only half of the town shows up and it fills the
screen)?

--
John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)957-4200 2400 BPS
D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 6 lines, public access unix

Jonathan David Abbey <jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu> (03/28/91)

Hm.. perhaps I'll try turning of SRT, then.. but I guess it looks as if
that won't do a whole lot of good.

I'll get back to you soon with more details.

Jon

2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/28/91)

Though this is the best implementation of Omega I've seen yet, it suffers the
same problems every other version of Omega I've tried.  The thing crashes
consistently, if it can't find a pathname, it gurus, enter a building, dungeon
or whatever with the Overhead Map on and exit, instant guru.  I seem to
have gurus whenever something big in the game happens (ie looking for files,
going in/out doors etc.)

I don't really think its my setup, I've got a plain old 7mhz A2000 with
a SupraRam with 2 megs and a Quantum HD.

So, is there a way around these system crashes?  I've tried a stack
as high as 512k, so I don't think that's it.

Now if just worked as well as it looks...:-)

David Poland
2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

jonabbey@cs.utexas.edu (Jonathan David Abbey) (03/28/91)

Nope, Omega150 still crashes even with a 100k+ stack set.  What's really
annoying is that it happens at seemingly random times, and with good
frequency.  This last time I didn't get a task halted, but instead the
program simply terminated, leaving behind its screen, windows, menus,
etc.

Unless there is something in my system environment that is munging this
maliciously and actively, I simply can't understand how errors of this
magnitude were missed and released to the public.  It sort of feels like
a ..test..test..test..last minute revision..release type thing, except maybe
easy on the initial testing.

This looks like something the author has put a lot of good work into, and it
looks like something that I would send a freeware contribution for, if it
becomes about 10000% more stable.

jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John G. Hardie) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar27.165833.5700@disk.uucp> sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) writes:
>From reading about Omega that just came over the net, it seems like everone
>is having different problems. Me too.
>
>On my 3000, 2Megs of memory, stack 10000 (just to be safe) WB2.0
>it starts up fine [...]

Try setting your system default font to an 8pt font first.  You can
use the USE selection rather than the SAVE selection in preferences.

I don't know if this will work, but I had this same problem with version
1.0 - and that's the solution.

---Unfortunately, I've just added 4Meg to my 3000 and now neither
version of Omega (1.0 and 1.5) will run at all - under 1.3 or
2.0.  They show the intro screen then crash the machine.  None of
my other programs have any problems - including NetHack - which
is just about as large.  I've tested the memory (the old write-pattern-
read-back test) and can find no problems. <Sigh>

John

--
jgh1@unix.cis.pitt.edu

		Who Me?  I didn't say anything.

aggaton@diku.dk (Klavs Torben Pedersen) (04/03/91)

Hi!

   Hmmm...It seems like I might be wanted in this discussion, since I am the
unlucky person who ported this game...
   The problems you mention all seems odd to me (of cource...) but certainly
very annoying. Could there really be so many differences between NTSC and PAL?
But for a good sake I'll scribe up my system.
Hardware:
A2000 7.5MHz 68000
3M ram (1M chip 2M fast)
40M Quantum HD
Normal Software:
Wshell
MachIII
Fcomp
SID
stack 20000 (pay attention to this low numeber :) )
addbuffers 260
setpatch R
(and a hell lot of aliases, paths and assigns)

My brother gametested it in 70 hours non-stop without a single guru or
system restart on his A500 with 1M SlowFast ram...Strange, really strange.
Now that I thought I really got it right !@#$%^&* (Well it needs a totally
clean machine, like most other games that uses lots of chip-mem, so make a
reboot if you just played some music or painted something, one of the drawbacks
on the Amiga I'm afraid...)
But I'll promise to look deeper into it, if I could get some more specific
symptoms like where, what etc, I've been working very hard to make it bugfree
until now, so this frustates me a bit. ARGHHHHH!!!

						Klavs Pedersen
						aggaton@freja.diku.dk

				       The one who thought he made it all right

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (04/04/91)

For the benefit of the masses, I did some experimenting with this game
on my A3000, before and after installing an additional meg of fast ram.
The gist is as follows: Omega worked fine under 2.0 prior to memory
expansion.  But after I raised the memory to 3 megs, the game would lock
up and freeze the system after the title screen.  The most obvious
solution turned out to work: I simply filled up the additional RAM (by
copying the Omega file to RAM:), and the game worked fine.  Strange days
indeed.

Mike Shapiro
ms0p@andrew.cmu.edu
I don't live in fantasy; I only work there.

sl242003@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon Paul Baker) (04/05/91)

The person who said to set the stack to 150,000 appears to have been
correct.  Before playing earlier I had set the stack to at most
80,000.  It appears to work fine, and I played for a couple hours both
with and without the overview window with no problem, including
restoring games repeatedly.

Jon