[comp.sys.amiga.games] SimCity/Populous

stone@mars.mpr.ca (Darren Stone) (04/04/91)

Hi.  I've had my Amiga 1000 for a looong time and have
never broken the 512K barrier.  I don't use it much
but all of a sudden I've got a killer urge to play
SimCity.  I'm not going to expand memory, but I
noticed on the package that it'll run on a 512K or
1Meg Amiga.

My question is:  What do I sacrifice (there must be
something!) if I run it in only 512K?  Can anyone
verify this for sure before I buy the thing?
What's this stuff about version 1.0/1.1/1.2?

I haven't played SimCity or Populous myself, so
how do they stack up against each other (I know
they're different, but is more fun or interesting
to play?)

Thanx in advance...

- Darren -

2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.235922.1761@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, witzany@sparc1 (David Witzany) writes:

> You
> should note, however, that only Sim City can be installed on your hard drive.
> Populous is copy-protected, and will make the worst gronking noises you've ever
> heard your floppy drive make.  There are a lot of net filk who would suggest
> that you avoid it on that ground alone.

Well, there is salvation for Populous...Project D 2.0 has a special copier
for Populous that de-protects it and lets you stick it on a hard drive and
run it on 680x0 systems.

> 	Dave Witzany
> 	(witzany@sparc1.isgs.uiuc.edu)

David Poland
2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

witzany@sparc1 (David Witzany) (04/05/91)

stone@mars.mpr.ca (Darren Stone) writes:

<stuff deleted>

>My question is:  What do I sacrifice (there must be
>something!) if I run it in only 512K?  Can anyone
>verify this for sure before I buy the thing?
>What's this stuff about version 1.0/1.1/1.2?

	The 512K version of SimCity only has 8 colors; I don't think it has any
sound, either.  The 1 meg version has 32 colors, and assorted city-type sounds
(planes, traffic, nuclear meltdowns...).  I can't say that the sounds do that
much for the game (except maybe Godzilla). Both versions are included in the 1.2
release of the game, which should be the only version on the shelves these days
(be careful if you go to a Walden Software store, however; they often have
earlier versions of software, at discounted prices.  I've asked them why; they
seem to think that it's store policy).  Maxis recommends that you use the 512 K
version of the game to print out the maps of your cities; the more detailed mapsget pretty muddy on paper, apparently.  I also used the smaller version for the
first week I had my Amiga, while I waited for my multisync monitor to arrive
and had to hook the computer to my TV (kids, don't try this at home--ecch!  :^)

>I haven't played SimCity or Populous myself, so
>how do they stack up against each other (I know
>they're different, but is more fun or interesting
>to play?)

	I bought them both, and have played them each about the same amount.
Sim City is great for open-ended gaming; it's really as much a simulation as it
is a game-- maybe more so.  Populous is similar, in that you "suggest" to your
followers that they should do one thing or another, rather than actually point
an individual at an enemy Walker and say "Kill!".  Because you actually have an
opponent in Populous, it has a different flavor-- you don't just lose due to
your own incompetence; there's an enemy god actively working against you, as
well.  Overall, I can highly recommend them both, as games go.  If you get tiredof the repetitiveness of one, you can switch to the other for awhile.  You

--

slewis@sugar.hackercorp.com (Steve Lewis) (04/05/91)

> My question is:  What do I sacrifice (there must be
> something!) if I run it in only 512K?  Can anyone
> verify this for sure before I buy the thing?
> What's this stuff about version 1.0/1.1/1.2?
>

> - Darren -

The answer is you lose some colors, but the gameplay is just fine.

sl242003@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon Paul Baker) (04/06/91)

By the way, the 512K version (at least on my 68000 A500) runs about
150% faster than the 1meg version.  Useful thing if you are trying to
build a big city and have run out of money.  I use the 1meg version
when I am doing more than one thing at a time.  (Like talking to
friends, not as in multitasking...:)

Jon