[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM - map for CLOCKWISE section

bratt@csli.Stanford.EDU (Harry Bratt) (04/07/91)

In <GDY&%C-@warwick.ac.uk> pyubg@warwick.ac.uk (Phil Kime) writes:

>I'm real sorry about this. I still can't get out of the clockwise bit on
>DM. I've been round all the 'levels' backwards and forwards a hundred times
>each and have found everything but a key. Please...I'm nearing a
>breakdown...where is the bloody key?
>--
>=====================================*======================================
>|  Phil Kime  (pyubg@warwick.ac.uk)  | "Fate enters and talks in old       |
>|  Dept. of Philosophy W.U.--UK.     |         words." -Van Der Graaf G    |
>=====================================*======================================

The "Clockwise" section of level 11 seems to come up pretty regularly as a
question in this newsgroup and I've never seen anyone post a map for it
(nor is it included in the one PD map set I've gotten through the net).

So, I'm including an ASCII representation of the map I made of it for
myself a while back.

First, however, a quick explanation.  One of the really nice things about
DM is that any complex situation, such as this one, can be broken down
into generally just a few DM "primitives".  For the Clockwise section the
primitives which conspire to form this puzzle are roughly:

1) there are four seperate rooms which have almost identical shapes;
2) each has a teleporter, which
3) is NOT linked to any visual (blue field) or sound (zzzzip), and
4) teleports you to another of the four rooms but in the same relative
   position in that room, and
5) only teleports if your party is facing a specific direction
   [there is a later more obvious instance of a direction-oriented switch
   (which IS linked to a sound (click)) just NE of this Clockwise section
   where the skeleton key is found, incidentally]

Basically, where `Clockwise' comes into it is that the orientation of the
teleports are all such that if you walk onto them facing clockwise you'll
trigger them.

Anyway, to get specific, here's the map segment:

N<--->S         # = wall, <space> = non-wall
#####   #t####  t = treasure
#########-####  - = gate
#C####### ####  C = "Clockwise"
#  > ###K  1 #  K = keyhole
# ## #### ##v#
# ## #### ## #
#4   ####    #
##############
#s############  s = stairs **(where you start the level)**  <---
#    ####    #
# ## #### ##2#
# ## #### ## #
#^ 3 T##K  < #  T = "Turn Back", K = keyhole

> v < and ^ are all teleports.  They teleport to squares numbered
1 2 3 and 4 respectively.  They only teleport *when your party is
facing in the direction indicated* (i.e. you'll get to square 1 if
your party steps onto the square labelled ">" and is facing South
[sorry N points left instead of up on this map]).

I'm afraid I never recorded where any actual items (like the key)
are, but hopefully this should help in navigating.

 -Harry Bratt
  bratt@csli.stanford.edu