[comp.sys.amiga.games] DAS BOOT/BLUE MAX

justin@county.oz.au (Justin Beech) (04/02/91)

I just bought DAS BOOT & BLUE MAX.
What a load of old cobblers! Both of these games are conversions of the IBM
packages, both released by 360. Despite the review a 3000 owner gave DAS
BOOT (wunderbar), it doesnt grab me at all. The 3D is SLOW (this is a bog
500 tho, but thats no excuse), killing the arcade excitment. The strategy
looks less than silent service. I wish I had waited for SSII.
As for BLUE MAX. It makes A10 Tank Killer look ok. enough said? No? ok:
SLOW SLOW 3d, acceptable when the detail is turned off, the biplane
graphics are turned off, the digitized images are turned off, and the letterbox
screen size option is chosen, at which point the game looks like a demo of
an area fill routine with a colour pallet of two. I didnt try the 'special
strategy facilities' if I want strategy I'd buy a proper wargame. Maybe
these two play well on a 3000. Try before you buy. If Wings=10, then BlueMax=5.

Lesson:
When looking at screen shots, and reading reviews of a game, make sure its
the amiga version being reviewed, and on the machine that you have.
Be _very worried_ if it started as an IBM PC game.

Also got TOWER FRA and SWIV.
TOWER FRA I really liked, It is plausible that this is a very close simulation
of the german air traffic control systems, and although lacking much graphics
has bags of tension and realism. (has full speech samples for all commands too).
Also has neat information pages+graphic on a whole bunch of planes, although
titled in german.

SWIV. Basically silkworm as a look-down vertical scroller. Flawless but not
ground-breaking.

PS: dont buy BETRAYAL (rainbird). Does anyone (who has) disagree?
--
Justin Beech - County Natwest Pty Ltd  (justin@synth.county.oz)
UUCP:     uunet!synth.county.oz.au!justin

roddi@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Roddi Walker) (04/02/91)

In <1991Apr2.013455.2776@county.oz.au> justin@county.oz.au (Justin Beech) writes:

>I just bought DAS BOOT & BLUE MAX.
>What a load of old cobblers! Both of these games are conversions of the IBM
>packages, both released by 360. Despite the review a 3000 owner gave DAS
>BOOT (wunderbar), it doesnt grab me at all. The 3D is SLOW (this is a bog
>500 tho, but thats no excuse), killing the arcade excitment. The strategy

Sigh.  I was looking forward to playing DAS BOOT.  Anyone else out there
want to give their opinion as to (a) how fast the game runs on a stock 68000
(with 5MB RAM and 40 MB HD :-) and (b) whether the game is a mindless IBM
EGA port (yech) or one that has been Amigaized.

Roddi.

PS: I heard a novel comes with the game ("The Boat", I think).  Anyone out there
know the name of the author ... I'd still like to read the book even if I don't
buy the game.

PPS: buy Dragon Wars - now that's a REAL game (by the same guys who did Bard's
Tale) --- but it's HD installable, multitasks and is damn good to BOOT (sorry :)

jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (04/03/91)

justin@county.oz.au (Justin Beech) writes:

>I just bought DAS BOOT & BLUE MAX.
>What a load of old cobblers! Both of these games are conversions of the IBM
>packages, both released by 360. Despite the review a 3000 owner gave DAS
>BOOT (wunderbar), it doesnt grab me at all. The 3D is SLOW (this is a bog

I've seen both of these running on a 500 as well as a 3000.  You are correct
in that they are painfully slow on a 500, however, I have to give two thumbs
up if you have a fast machine.  The smoothness of Das Boot on a 3000 is
untouchable.  I'll just have to wait for that Mega Midget Racer before I buy
either on of these.

Jay Ward --> jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu | if (TrailBlazers > Opponents)
"                 " - Marcel Marceau | 		TrailBlazerWins++;

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (04/03/91)

In article <3896@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU>, roddi@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Roddi Walker) writes:
> In <1991Apr2.013455.2776@county.oz.au> justin@county.oz.au (Justin Beech) writes:
>

>>I just bought DAS BOOT & BLUE MAX.
>>What a load of old cobblers! Both of these games are conversions of the IBM
>>packages, both released by 360. Despite the review a 3000 owner gave DAS
>>BOOT (wunderbar), it doesnt grab me at all. The 3D is SLOW (this is a bog
>>500 tho, but thats no excuse), killing the arcade excitment. The strategy
>
> Sigh.  I was looking forward to playing DAS BOOT.  Anyone else out there
> want to give their opinion as to (a) how fast the game runs on a stock 68000
> (with 5MB RAM and 40 MB HD :-) and (b) whether the game is a mindless IBM
> EGA port (yech) or one that has been Amigaized.

Personally I think the fellow that panned DOS BOAT is, well, a bit strong.
DAS BOOT run excellently under 2.0 and on my A3000.  The graphics are nice
(certainly far and above Silent Service) and there seems to be enough in
the strategy department to keep me interested for a while.  To me, it takes
nice advantage of the Amiga.  The sound is excellent and the graphics are
excellent as well.

It also installs on the Hard disk!

> Roddi.

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes   "Mr. AmigaVision,  The 32 bit guy"
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================

v30129@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (080.) (04/03/91)

  About DAS BOOT:
>want to give their opinion as to (a) how fast the game runs on a stock 68000
>(with 5MB RAM and 40 MB HD :-) and (b) whether the game is a mindless IBM
>EGA port (yech) or one that has been Amigaized.
  A) Its pretty damn slow, but can be speeded up, but gameplay is puke.
  B) Its junk, the only fun part is the AA gun on the deck, the actual
underwater sailing is stupid, you get no perspective, controls are all a
bunch of button combo's and mouse, no joystick. VERY BAD.
>PS: I heard a novel comes with the game ("The Boat", I think).
  yep its in there, dont know cause I took it back.

careyk@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carey Kinoshita) (04/04/91)

In article <2191@pdxgate.UUCP> jayward@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) writes:
>justin@county.oz.au (Justin Beech) writes:
>
>>I just bought DAS BOOT & BLUE MAX.
>
>I've seen both of these running on a 500 as well as a 3000.  You are correct
>in that they are painfully slow on a 500, however, I have to give two thumbs
>up if you have a fast machine.  The smoothness of Das Boot on a 3000 is
>untouchable.  I'll just have to wait for that Mega Midget Racer before I buy
>either on of these.

It was mentioned that DAS BOAT & BLUE MAX run painfully slow on an A500.

I was wondering what is the best way to accelerate  my A500 to run these

hardware intensive games smoothly.  And has anyone in Netland been successful

in accerlerating their A500.  I was thinking of having that 1 meg chip RAM

modification done to my A500 or replacing my 68000 microprocessor with that

replacement 68000 with 64K of Static RAM Cashe.  Would these upgrades

increase the smoothness of games that are run on an A500 even though I

already have a hard disk and would all of my old games still run.

Please reply using E-mail.  Thanks.

justin@county.oz.au (Justin Beech) (04/04/91)

In article <802.27f8b5de@vger.nsu.edu> manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>In article <3896@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU>, roddi@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Roddi Walker) writes:
>> In <1991Apr2.013455.2776@county.oz.au> justin@county.oz.au (Justin Beech) writes:
>>
>>>I just bought DAS BOOT & BLUE MAX.
>>>What a load of old cobblers! Both of these games are conversions of the IBM
>>>packages, both released by 360. Despite the review a 3000 owner gave DAS
>> Sigh.  I was looking forward to playing DAS BOOT.  Anyone else out there
>Personally I think the fellow that panned DOS BOAT is, well, a bit strong.
                                           ^^^^^^^^
> -mark=

Thats cute humour! I hope it wasnt a typo! It IS a comment on the package IMHO.

----
Justin Beech
--

hamilton@intersil.uucp (04/06/91)

In article <3896@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU>, roddi@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Roddi Walker) writes:
> In <1991Apr2.013455.2776@county.oz.au> justin@county.oz.au (Justin Beech) writes:
>

>>I just bought DAS BOOT & BLUE MAX.
>>What a load of old cobblers! Both of these games are conversions of the IBM
>>packages, both released by 360. Despite the review a 3000 owner gave DAS
>>BOOT (wunderbar), it doesnt grab me at all. The 3D is SLOW (this is a bog
>>500 tho, but thats no excuse), killing the arcade excitment. The strategy
>
> Sigh.  I was looking forward to playing DAS BOOT.  Anyone else out there
> want to give their opinion as to (a) how fast the game runs on a stock 68000
> (with 5MB RAM and 40 MB HD :-) and (b) whether the game is a mindless IBM
> EGA port (yech) or one that has been Amigaized.

a)  I have no idea.  I have an A3000, and I'm still not happy with the game.

b)  The game hasn't really been Amigatized,both manuals are written for the IBM
    (there's a single page update for us Amiga owners, not nearly enough).

Short review:  This game made me want to really, really, try to get Silent
               Service running on my 3000.  Das Boot has neat-o 3D
               perspectives, an EXTREMELY cumbersome and anti-intuitive
               user interface, and less real submarine "stuff" than anything
               I've ever played.  You can't ever run silent (turn off the
               engines), there's no provisions for blowing chaff or whatever
               to make the enemy think you're dead, or blowing your tanks
               for an emergency surface, the 1X 2X 3X 4X speed up modes
               kept reseting to 1X for no apparent reason, and in the 2 days
               I've been trying to play it, I haven't seen ONE ship!  I don't
               want my GAMES to be THAT realistic!  There are many other big
               and little things that annoy me about this game. As much as
               I wanted to like it, I have to warn all of you out there:

               Don't buy this game unless you get a chance to play it for a
               while.  Underneath the 3D graphics, it's a dog (IMHO).

               I bought this instead of Harpoon.  Harpoon has GOT to be better!
--
Fred Hamilton                          "Unlike most of you,
Harris Semiconductor                    I am not a nut..."

am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis) (04/07/91)

	No, actually, Harpoon IS really bad, stay way away.  One of the few
games that I play on my 386 is Harpoon.  Unfortunately, I have nothing to
recommend better than Harpoon for the Amiga by way of strategy, so maybe it is
good, relatively.  Play before you buy.

		HA HA!  YOU THINK THIS IS THE REAL .SIGNATURE?
				IT IS!
Total Computing!**********************************am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu*