[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM Cheat uploaded

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (04/05/91)

Justin Beech (justin@synth.county.oz.au) sent me his
game file for DungeonMaster which contains a party of
(almost) invincible characters.  I uploaded it
for him to abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov as DMGame.dat and
DMGame.Readme in /incoming/amiga. The readme file
is reprinted below.

Thanks Justin.

------------------readme file begins---------------
This file (DMGame.dat) is a Dungeon Master save file, with 4 characters
on level 1, just before the entrance to the stairs area.

The four characters are:

Edvarg The Unfailing - Human
Estival The Lunatic  - Dwarf
Shrefly The Wizard   - Human
Skeeve The Great     - Human

All four characters are Artisan Level in Fighter, Ninja, Priest and Wizard
class, and have Health 999, Stamina 999, and Mana 512.

They all have all personal characteristics (strength, etc) of 176.

They have between them:

Samurai Sword
Axe
Mail
Hosen
Leather Jerkin
Leather Pants (2)
Leather Boots
Suede Boots
Ghi
Trousers
Pants
Tunic
Torch (1)

These Characters should make investigating the Dungeon of Anaias much
less difficult, and keep you from becoming frustrated.

You get experience for bashing doors and critters (fighters)
                       throwing things            (ninjas)
                       casting spells             (priest and wizard)

You'll get more experience for fighting creatures than for hitting doors,
and more for doing it lower down in the dungeon.

The Ability Levels in Dungeon Master are:

Neophyte
Novice
Apprentice
Journeyman
Craftsman
Artisan
Adept
Expert
LO  Master
UM  Master
ON  Master
EE  Master
PAL Master
MON Master
ArchMaster

It takes twice as much experience to reach the next level of ability
as the last level took.

For those interested, these characters were edited by creating a DM
disk with the Aux-Handler inserted into the startup sequence to create
a cli on the serial port.  using another computer, and a debug utility
(ddt) the characters are found in (fast/slow) memory, and their abilities
modified.  Levels of ability were gained by setting experience to one less
than the next level, then doing the appropriate action to gain some exp.,
letting the game do all the setting of other things attendant on level
raises.  The game was then saved normally, and the enclosed DMGame.dat
resulted.

To use this file, create a Dungeon Master Save disk (with the games
format option, or by formatting a disk with DOS with the correct name)
and copy the DMGame.dat file enclosed onto that disk.  You can now
use the "resume" option of DM to start this new group of heavy hitters.

Skip "I just can't play a game FAIRLY" Sanders
---------------end of readme file------------------------------

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (04/07/91)

RE: CHEATING: If you have to cheat at this game, I feel sorry for
you. Not that this game is EASY, not by a long shot! But it's not
the kind of game that you NEED to cheat!! Other mindless shoot-em-

ups are impossible to get anywhere without cheating, But NOT DM and
CHAOS. Use your BRAIN! The designers made the puzzles tough (some)
and there are some areas where the monsters get hard 'n' heavy, but
nothing that can't be overcome. You get a save game feature! Save
before hitting a tough spot, and then if you die, restore! YOU DON'T
*NEED* THESE CHEAT CHARACTERS!!!!! If you do, you obviously don't

have the right attitude for these 2 games, and WON'T get the fun out
of them that the designers intended.

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (04/08/91)

In article <7174.27FFF96B@zswamp.fidonet.org> Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) writes:
> [article about cheating]
>
>have the right attitude for these 2 games, and WON'T get the fun out
>of them that the designers intended.
>

>--
>Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
>UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon
>Internet: Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org

I have to agree, wholeheartedly, with Stewart.  What's the point in
having a baby, if you can't have a baby? You haven't got a womb!
Sorry another thread...but the same principle.  What's the point in
playing an adventure game, if you have all the answers and your
characters are indestructable???  The best part of DM was building up
the characters...I'll never forget the first time I got my butt kicked
hard by the purple worms, but soon developed a strategy and wailed on
them. (You gotta love the cloud of black smoke that they leave
behind). Not to mention fighting the Knights, or the dragon...what a
blast. Or watching your fireballs steadily grow in size and power.

Cheaters! Ah bah-humbug!

Todd

--
-----