[comp.sys.amiga.games] I got da Dungeon Master blues...

johnsonc@topaz.ucq.edu.au (04/08/91)

In article <Apr.5.10.40.13.1991.2742@dorm.rutgers.edu>, jgreene@dorm.rutgers.edu (Jeffrey Greene) writes:

> The gem is in the ROOM OF THE GEM. Just keep looking.

     I still can't find it.  Is there perhaps a secret passage/panel which
could reveal it?  If there is, the switch is very well hidden as I've searched
and searched - pressing walls and poking at holes in the wall.  But no dice.
I even decided to jump down that pit to take a gander but all I had was a
bruised party and a discovered drumstick.  Am I getting close enough?

signed

USELESS.

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (04/09/91)

RE: ROOM OF THE GEM: Ya GOTTA explore every nook and cranny! Did you
get the compass? If so, proceed along the passageway and keep going
NORTH as far as you can. You will see a cul-de-sac staight ahead,
and one the same size to the right. A short passageway T's out at
the left and dead ends. There is a brick that you push to the left
as you face the wall. This opens up the secret room. If y'all are
having trouble NOW......heh heh! Wait till it starts getting DIFFICULT!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

shaun@iris.mincom.oz.au (Shaun Hayes) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.105551.7004@topaz.ucq.edu.au> johnsonc@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:
>In article <Apr.5.10.40.13.1991.2742@dorm.rutgers.edu>, jgreene@dorm.rutgers.edu (Jeffrey Greene) writes:
>>
>> The gem is in the ROOM OF THE GEM. Just keep looking.
>
>     I still can't find it.  Is there perhaps a secret passage/panel which
>could reveal it?  If there is, the switch is very well hidden as I've searched
>and searched - pressing walls and poking at holes in the wall.  But no dice.
>I even decided to jump down that pit to take a gander but all I had was a
>bruised party and a discovered drumstick.  Am I getting close enough?
>
>signed
>
>USELESS.

Actually, I feel the same way.  I've been playing intermittently for the
last two months (_very_ intermittently), and looked around and around,
and all I could find was rock monsters (I mean it's hard enough when
every bloody time I cast a spell, whether fire ball or poison cloud (how
do you kill rock monsters anyways?) 75% of the time I get a "need more
%#$@^&^#&^$ practice" message! - I'm getting real tired of this).

So where is the damn thing?????

--
|-----   "Strange how potent cheap music is..."                              |
|\ = /                           Julie Andrews as Gertrude Lawrence in "Star"|

johnsonc@topaz.ucq.edu.au (04/10/91)

In article <956@iris.mincom.oz.au>, shaun@iris.mincom.oz.au (Shaun Hayes) writes:
> In article <1991Apr8.105551.7004@topaz.ucq.edu.au> johnsonc@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:
>>In article <Apr.5.10.40.13.1991.2742@dorm.rutgers.edu>, jgreene@dorm.rutgers.edu (Jeffrey Greene) writes:
>>>
>>> The gem is in the ROOM OF THE GEM. Just keep looking.
>>
>>     I still can't find it.  Is there perhaps a secret passage/panel which
>>could reveal it?  If there is, the switch is very well hidden as I've searched
>>and searched - pressing walls and poking at holes in the wall.  But no dice.
>>I even decided to jump down that pit to take a gander but all I had was a
>>bruised party and a discovered drumstick.  Am I getting close enough?
>>
>>signed
>>
>>USELESS.
>
> Actually, I feel the same way.  I've been playing intermittently for the
> last two months (_very_ intermittently), and looked around and around,
> and all I could find was rock monsters (I mean it's hard enough when
> every bloody time I cast a spell, whether fire ball or poison cloud (how
> do you kill rock monsters anyways?) 75% of the time I get a "need more
> %#$@^&^#&^$ practice" message! - I'm getting real tired of this).
>
> So where is the damn thing?????

     I've managed to gain a Craftsman level wizard level for all of my
characters on level 2 by sitting down and just casting spells at the walls.
(Fireballs, Invisibility, etc)  Unfortunately I don't have them anymore
as I didn't save the game - it was when I was trying to find the gem.

     I've found the gem anyway.  Thanks to everyone who has been writing.
As one fellow DM'er has put it, I can "go to worm-parties" on the third
level now.  I'm not sure if poison spells are so effective with rock-monsters
as their main weapon is poison.  From my experience with having played
Dungeons and Dragons, creatures who are naturally poisonous in combat have
a very high resistance to poisons as they are in contact with them a lot.
However I don't know if this is the case in Dungeon Master as I preferred
using fireballs on the rock-monsters.  Anything goes when you are battling
the blue beasts.

     Chris.

In article <7183.28014AD6@zswamp.fidonet.org>, Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) writes:
> RE: ROOM OF THE GEM: Ya GOTTA explore every nook and cranny! Did you
> get the compass? If so, proceed along the passageway and keep going
> NORTH as far as you can. You will see a cul-de-sac staight ahead,
> and one the same size to the right. A short passageway T's out at
> the left and dead ends. There is a brick that you push to the left
> as you face the wall. This opens up the secret room. If y'all are
> having trouble NOW......heh heh! Wait till it starts getting DIFFICULT!

Fair go, Stewart!  I found it and I'm not exactly happy that I missed it
so easily.  I've got an idea of the difficulty of the later stages now after
having read other postings and progressing to level 3 when I got sick of
ROOM OF THE GEM.  Yes, I found the compass and found it VERY HANDY for
the MATRIX.  A friend of mine managed to map it out properly without the
compass after about a month of playing.  He kept dropping objects in
particular corners of every square and mapped by their positions.  Mind
you, he had the compass but didn't hold it in the hand of one of the party.