[comp.sys.amiga.games] Don't do DOS

goose@surf.sics.bu.oz.au (Ralph Schwarten) (04/10/91)

iFrom vn Wed Apr 10 14:50:42 1991
Subject:"Don't do DOS" was Re: HELP !! Cadaver
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.games,rec.games.misc

From article <2939@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au>, by webbc@kirk.nmg.bu.oz.au (Chris
Webb):
>> In article <1489@surf.sics.bu.oz.au>,by goose@surf.sics.bu.oz.au
(Ralph Schwarten):
>> Hi,
>>can someone help me with Cadaver ?
>> I am stuck in the beggining stages of level 2
>> I can get past the spitting volcanoes etc but am stumped with the
>>levers
>> any help greatly appreciated
>>
>> Ralph
>
> Ralph mate for crying out loud get rid of your poxy little Amiga and
get
> a real machine. Everyone knows Commodore only make stuf for kids>  You
can't even buy decent hard disks for them.
> Imagine the thrill of playing a game and not having to swap disks >
> AA - Amigas Anonymous.

Listen you big Dos head... I *used* DOS for three years and it nearly killed me ! So
you can't say that I am not being objective when I say that the Amiga is
a better computer in all regards
1) Better sound  (Even if you have a add-on card)
1a)All software uses the sound (it is integrated !)
2) Better operating system
2b) Multitasking
2c)No riduclous memory limitations or hacky buggy kludges to use more
than the paltry 640k
3) Better graphics (not blocky and jerky like VGA graphics)
3c) 2 custom co-processors to handle graphics  and animation
3d) Sprites implemented in *HARDWARE* (means smoother more complex
animation) etc etc

The only reason that the *FEW* programs I have require that you swap
disks even if you have more drives attached, is that the were ported
from ms-dos.  The programmers, obviuosly braindead after programming DOS
machines for so long, didn't bother taking advantage of the Amiga's
superior cababilities and went for limited functionality (DOS like).
Most programs written for the Amiga by Amiga programmers, use it's
enhanced facitlities. And take advantage of extra drives

With my $1500 *toy* Amiga 1000 with about 4 programs *running* the GUI
s..ts all over the kludgy hack called windows 3.0 (performance wise)
I think it would take a fast 33mhz 486 to get windows going as fast as
my *slow* 7.6mhz 68000 runs it's GUI.

So there !  :-)

Another blow struck against the evil DOS.
We will fight on 'till the truth be known.

Remember, bill the Cat says "Don't Do DOS !"

I know why you flamed my inoccent post for help about Cadaver...
Secretly you are jealous of games like cadaver, which has great graphics
and sound, because it would never look as good on a DOS machine (if it
would run at all !)

jeff@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Jeff Gosztyla) (04/10/91)

>> Ralph mate for crying out loud get rid of your poxy little Amiga and
[Some idiot building up something worthless]

>Listen you big Dos head... I *used* DOS for three years and it nearly killed me
[Some weakling complaining about how the whole computing world missed the boat]

	Look, if this crap is going to start again I'm unsubscribing.  I
sick and tired of all these petty machine wars.  I've got both
machines, each with its limitations and powers and I don't want to hear
it all again and again and again.

                                         - Jeff
Jeff Gosztyla
North Carolina State University

jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (04/11/91)

In article <1491@surf.sics.bu.oz.au> goose@surf.sics.bu.oz.au (Ralph
Schwarten) writes:
>   Listen you big Dos head... I *used* DOS for three years and it
nearly killed me !

If it nearly killed you, then you deserve to be killed.

I have both machines and I can tell you:
 The Amiga and the PS/2 behave better together than any of you guys.

[Please respect the followup]
--
Jose Pedro T. Pina Coelho   | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fct.unl.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto          | UUCP: ...!mcsun!unl!jpc

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?

barry@clark.edu (Barry Lieberman) (04/12/91)

I missed a few articles, a bunch maybe, so that I don't know how this
thread got started.  My response to the following article is at the end.

In article <1991Apr10.090802.17991@ncsu.edu> jeff@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Jeff Gosztyla) writes:
>>> Ralph mate for crying out loud get rid of your poxy little Amiga and
>[Some idiot building up something worthless]
>
>>Listen you big Dos head... I *used* DOS for three years and it nearly killed me
>[Some weakling complaining about how the whole computing world missed the boat]
>
>	Look, if this crap is going to start again I'm unsubscribing.  I
>sick and tired of all these petty machine wars.  I've got both
>machines, each with its limitations and powers and I don't want to hear
>it all again and again and again.
>                                         - Jeff
>Jeff Gosztyla
>North Carolina State University

	I agree with Jeff in that I like Unix and DOS for different reasons.
(Do not flame me just because I like both.)  If someone likes one machine,
such as an Amiga, someone that likes DOS machines only and hates(/extremely
dislikes others) should not tell that other person that he/she is using the
wrong machine.
	Another point I would like to make is that seeing as how I am reading
this article in the 'comp.sys.amgia.games' newsgroup that I would think
that most if not all articles would pertain to Amiga games or games that
people would like to be made available on the Amiga.  Not which system is
better, etc.
--
uunet!clark!barry      "Old men don't die - they send in young men."
    or             "My darma got run over my karma"