[comp.sys.amiga.games] What about Infocom?

swildner@channelz.gun.de (Sascha Wildner) (03/21/91)

Does anybody know if the rumor about the exitus of Infocom is true? Any back-
ground info?

       | Sascha Wildner, Am Druvendriesch 27, W-5030 Huerth 6, Germany |
       | Phone   : +49 2233 15571   Zerberus: S.WILDNER@TBC.ZER        |
       | MagicNet: DINO-BOX:BILBO   UUCP    : swildner@channelz.gun.de |
       | Fido    : 2:241/5008                                          |

UD191217@NDSUVM1.BITNET (03/26/91)

  The rumor of Infocom no longer exisiting is partially true.  They were
purchased by Mediagenic (formerly Activision) and for a while were left to
their own devices, but Mediagenic absorbed them into their main company.
  If you have questions on Infocom games, I would suggest sending them to
Mediagenic.

       Kenneth Churchill           "The unexamined life is not worth
                                    living" - Socrates

genoa@athena.mit.edu (Jack N Holt) (03/26/91)

In article <91084.103702UD191217@NDSUVM1.BITNET> UD191217@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:

>  The rumor of Infocom no longer exisiting is partially true.  They were
>purchased by Mediagenic (formerly Activision) and for a while were left to
>their own devices, but Mediagenic absorbed them into their main company.
>  If you have questions on Infocom games, I would suggest sending them to
>Mediagenic.
>

>       Kenneth Churchill           "The unexamined life is not worth
>                                    living" - Socrates

Will someone please post Megiagenic's address?

-- Jack

--
My .sig is classified.  I could show it to you, but I'd have to kill you.

bneal@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Neal) (03/26/91)

From article <91084.103702UD191217@NDSUVM1.BITNET>, by UD191217@NDSUVM1.BITNET:

>   The rumor of Infocom no longer exisiting is partially true.  They were
> purchased by Mediagenic (formerly Activision) and for a while were left to
> their own devices, but Mediagenic absorbed them into their main company.
>   If you have questions on Infocom games, I would suggest sending them to
> Mediagenic.

	Last I heard, Mediagenic told them to clear out their offices,
and they did.  Alas, a great company is gone.  :-(

--
++------------------------------------------------------------------++
||   //     Brian Neal        //  ||  "Honesty is my only excuse..."||

mykes@sega0.SF-Bay.ORG (Mike Schwartz) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.024533.12466@athena.mit.edu> genoa@athena.mit.edu (Jack N Holt) writes:
>In article <91084.103702UD191217@NDSUVM1.BITNET> UD191217@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
>>
>>  The rumor of Infocom no longer exisiting is partially true.  They were
>>purchased by Mediagenic (formerly Activision) and for a while were left to
>>their own devices, but Mediagenic absorbed them into their main company.
>>  If you have questions on Infocom games, I would suggest sending them to
>>Mediagenic.
>>

>>       Kenneth Churchill           "The unexamined life is not worth
>>                                    living" - Socrates
>
>Will someone please post Megiagenic's address?
>
>-- Jack
>

>--
>My .sig is classified.  I could show it to you, but I'd have to kill you.

I did some consulting work for Mediagenic a while back and at that time, they
had indeed purchased InfoCom and had consolidated them into Mediagenic in
Menlo Park CA.  InfoCom was operated out of someplace in the northeast, Boston
I think.  Anyhow, one of my good friends who used to work for InfoCom now works
for Comodore in CDTV, and although I have not been following Mediagenic lately,
I hear they are down to 30 people and are pretty close to doing the el-foldo.

I seem to remember that InfoCom was owned by Comodore at one time.  Does my
memory serve me correctly?

* Assembler Language separates the men from the boys. *

kawahara@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Kawahara - CDTV) (04/07/91)

I'm the ex Infocom guy that Mike talks about in his previous posting.
Everyone who was with Infocom when the place was moved to Menlo Park
are now all gone.  No game designers, no producers, no programmers,
no one.  The name Infocom "lives" according to Mediagenic, though.
But how a company with a negative net worth, no sales and a skeleton
staff can keep a product line with no products in development alive
is beyond me.

All in all, I'm glad to have been there, though.

Now, how about we start talking about CDTV ?  Think about where I came
from; I'm not here to get spreadsheets developed for CDTV, ya know.

--Mike

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (04/07/91)

From article <20430@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by kawahara@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Kawahara - CDTV):

> Now, how about we start talking about CDTV ?  Think about where I came
> from; I'm not here to get spreadsheets developed for CDTV, ya know.

So what are you here to get developed?  Be as specific as you can
without disturbing any NDA's you may have on you...  I'm ALWAYS
interested in CDTV info...  Pass the dirt, please... :)

Greg

--
- gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu -	|  IBM's brain is on overload, and Apple
	Gregory Block		|  needs to be potty-trained.  C= may not

am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis) (04/07/91)

In article <20430@cbmvax.commodore.com> kawahara@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Kawahara - CDTV) writes:

>I'm the ex Infocom guy that Mike talks about in his previous posting.
>Everyone who was with Infocom when the place was moved to Menlo Park
>are now all gone.  No game designers, no producers, no programmers,
>no one.  The name Infocom "lives" according to Mediagenic, though.
>But how a company with a negative net worth, no sales and a skeleton
>staff can keep a product line with no products in development alive
>is beyond me.
>
>All in all, I'm glad to have been there, though.
>
>Now, how about we start talking about CDTV ?  Think about where I came
>from; I'm not here to get spreadsheets developed for CDTV, ya know.
>
>--Mike

Hey, I just saw the thing at World of Amiga.  It is _*REALLY HOT*_.  In the
race versus the goons at IBM and MicroJunk and others for true cd based
systems, C= wins hands down.  If marketed right, this will make IBM throw in
the towel - it is that great.  It is irresistable.  Now if only I had a
composite monitor...

		HA HA!  YOU THINK THIS IS THE REAL .SIGNATURE?
				IT IS!
Total Computing!**********************************am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu*

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (04/08/91)

Kawahara - CDTV) writes:

> The name Infocom "lives" according to Mediagenic, though.

But, Mediagenic is dead!

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

brad@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Brad Grier) (04/08/91)

Hey, I've heard that the new Lucasfilm game, Secret Weapons of the
Luftwaffe [SWOTL] is going to be re-engineered for the Amiga and CDTV.
This came from Liz (Lucasfilm product support) on Compu$erve. Should be
interesting to see what they do!

Brad

Brad Grier             ersys!brad@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

kawahara@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Kawahara - CDTV) (04/12/91)

Well, if Luftwaffe shows up I'll be surprised.  Lucasfilm has no plans
for that product for CDTV.  Look for Loom, Indy, and Monkey Island
though.