[comp.sys.amiga.games] M1 Tank Platoon...Any good?

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (04/15/91)

I'm thinking of buying M1 Tank Platoon. Is it any good. I am
a fairly serious wargammer/simulation buff, some informal reviews
would be appreciated.

am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Alexander Maldutis) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.163421.27875@dmntor.UUCP> bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) writes:
>I'm thinking of buying M1 Tank Platoon. Is it any good. I am
>a fairly serious wargammer/simulation buff, some informal reviews
>would be appreciated.

It is a good game, albeit it was ported poorly to the Amiga.  I can say (with
horror) that I would much rather play it on the (gasp) Messy-DOS computer.
It is accurate, but doesn't have some of the arcane and interesting weapons
like Copperhead laser guided rouds, Air Deployed Minefields; but it has
artillery, the tanks, APCs, 'Hogs, Apaches.  My problem is that the
programmers did everything in dithered colors (which there's no reason for),
as well as totally botching the sounds - the MSDOS version has _BONGS_
instead of explosions, but the're still better than the Amiga sounds.  This
version is especially distressing after the awesome Pirates! and Red Storm
Rising.  One wonders if this isn't a port from the ST or something.

It is, however, hard drive installable, and works (as far as I could tell
from my friend's machine) on the 3000.  It is a pity there's nothing
better, so I guess it is the best of its kind for the Amiga.

No need to break out the flamethrowers if you disagree.

		HA HA!  YOU THINK THIS IS THE REAL .SIGNATURE?
				IT IS!
Total Computing!**********************************am66@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu*

David.Haigh@comp.vuw.ac.nz (David Haigh) (04/16/91)

Kyle) writes:
|> I'm thinking of buying M1 Tank Platoon. Is it any good. I am
|> a fairly serious wargammer/simulation buff, some informal reviews
|> would be appreciated.

M1 Tank Platoon is probably Microprose's finest product to date. The
sheer depth of the program is incredible. The Amiga version suffers a
little (maybe a lot depending upon your expectations) due to the video
modes used - things tend to look a little grainey (sp?). The game has
great lastability due to the random mission system, and the campaign
mode.

In short - the game is a winner. If you want more in the way of details
- let me know.

--
David Haigh.
dhaigh@comp.vuw.ac.nz