[comp.sys.amiga.games] MegaBALL on A3000

dave@unislc.uucp (Dave Martin) (04/03/91)

Well, Ball didn't work on the 3000 because the Ball was invisible (is a
sprite used for the ball?) so I didn't play it.

Then I saw MegaBALL with its claims to work on A3000 (according to the
readme).  Guess what?  the Ball is STILL INVISIBLE!  This is
frustrating, as I think I would enjoy this game.

I tried sending mail to the author (not to the exact address he gave, as
that machine is not found in the DNS lookup system but to a similarly named
machine at the same site), it bounced.

I would really like to see this game work.
--
VAX Headroom	Speaking for myself only... blah blah blahblah blah...
Internet: DMARTIN@CC.WEBER.EDU                 dave@saltlcy-unisys.army.mil

witzany@sparc1 (David Witzany) (04/04/91)

dave@unislc.uucp (Dave Martin) writes:

>Well, Ball didn't work on the 3000 because the Ball was invisible (is a
>sprite used for the ball?) so I didn't play it.

>Then I saw MegaBALL with its claims to work on A3000 (according to the
>readme).  Guess what?  the Ball is STILL INVISIBLE!  This is
>frustrating, as I think I would enjoy this game.

>VAX Headroom	Speaking for myself only... blah blah blahblah blah...
>Internet: DMARTIN@CC.WEBER.EDU                 dave@saltlcy-unisys.army.mil
>uucp:     dave@unislc.uucp or use the Path: line.

I've had similar problems with several PD games, like Drip and Sys.  In my
case, the only solution was to push the Preferences screen position controller
to the far right of the box that it appears in.  I don't know why, but doing
this makes the sprites appear on the screen.

skelley@atreus.umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) (04/04/91)

> about MegaBall not working on an A3000

I ran into the same problem (invisable ball) in WB2.0 but was
able to get it to run correctly in 1.3.

Steve Kelley	UMCP CS/UMIACS
Internet:	skelley@umiacs.umd.edu

ecarroll@maths.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll) (04/05/91)

In article <32412@mimsy.umd.edu> skelley@umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) writes:
>> about MegaBall not working on an A3000
>
>I ran into the same problem (invisable ball) in WB2.0 but was
>able to get it to run correctly in 1.3.

Are you using an overscanned Workbench under 2.0? This can steal sprites
away from the display. Even though MegaBall itself doesn't use overscan
(that I could see), its screen is aligned with the left edge of the
Workbench screen.

Use Left-Amiga/Mouse-drag to slide MegaBall's screen over to the right a bit
and you should get the ball back.

Eddy
--
Eddy Carroll           ----* Genuine MUD Wizard  | "You haven't lived until
ADSPnet:  cbmuk!cbmuka!quartz!ecarroll           |    you've died in MUD!"

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) (04/06/91)

skelley@atreus.umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) writes:

>> about MegaBall not working on an A3000

>I ran into the same problem (invisable ball) in WB2.0 but was

Megaball runs fine on my Amiga 3000 under wb2.0.

The only time I had problems was when I had autopoint running (autopoint
is the wb utility that automatically makes a window acitve when you move
your mouse pointer into it). With autopoint running the game kept pausing
itself every few seconds.

--
John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)957-4200 2400 BPS
D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 6 lines, public access unix

randy@csseq.tamu.edu (Randy Hutson) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr05.194906.4660@disk.uucp> sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) writes:
->skelley@atreus.umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) writes:
->
->>> about MegaBall not working on an A3000
->
->>I ran into the same problem (invisable ball) in WB2.0 but was
->
->
->Megaball runs fine on my Amiga 3000 under wb2.0.
->
->The only time I had problems was when I had autopoint running (autopoint
->is the wb utility that automatically makes a window acitve when you move
->your mouse pointer into it). With autopoint running the game kept pausing
->itself every few seconds.

Megaball doesn't work correctly (the ball is invisible) with an overscanned
workbench in both WB1.3 and WB2.0.  Get rid of the overscan, and it should
run just fine on a 3000.

Randy

dave@unislc.uucp (Dave Martin) (04/18/91)

From article <1991Apr5.114521.15852@maths.tcd.ie>, by ecarroll@maths.tcd.ie (Eddy Carroll):
> In article <32412@mimsy.umd.edu> skelley@umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) writes:
>>> about MegaBall not working on an A3000
>>
>>I ran into the same problem (invisable ball) in WB2.0 but was
>>able to get it to run correctly in 1.3.
>
> Are you using an overscanned Workbench under 2.0? This can steal sprites
> away from the display. Even though MegaBall itself doesn't use overscan
> (that I could see), its screen is aligned with the left edge of the
> Workbench screen.
>
> Use Left-Amiga/Mouse-drag to slide MegaBall's screen over to the right a bit
> and you should get the ball back.

Ok, this worked for me and now I can FINALLY play it on my 3000.  (I've
been playing on on a friend's 1000).  Now if it would just let you save the
last level you played so you could use 'C' between invocations of the
program...

A sugestion for the next version, please check for a 2.0 system and adjust
screen accordingly, or use a different sprite (how does this sprite
stealing work anyway, does it take sprites one by one as the screen gets
farther left or do you lose all execept the mouse pointer one?)

This game (and the new missile command) does not get along with virusX
under 2.0 by the way.