[comp.sys.amiga.games] Need help buying Amiga

bill@hpb.cis.pitt.edu (Bill Broadly) (04/22/91)

	I just scanned throuh 300+mesg on the Amiga I am (horrors) a IBM
PC person.  A friend of mine wanted a PC for general use, (a few years
ago) so I pointed him to an IBM clone (lots of software etc).  He ended
up buying/using only games.  (M1 tank, Red baron, pirates etc.)
	He is now ready to spend around $1500 on a new system which
could get him a 386sx 40 MB hd VGA system.  But I was thinking about
pointing towards AMIGA.
	What would be a good system (how much disk how much RAM) to get
for a good game machine?  How much would it cost?  How many games
available relative to IBM.
	Wheres the best place to buy one (there is one small dealer
outside of Pittsburgh), or should he go mail order?
	Any help making a descision would be greatly appreciated.
	I will be reading this group for responses or just Email me
and I will summarize if any interest.
	Any must haves?  (sounds options, joystick options etc)
	If theres a better group for this let me know.  I am not trying
to start a flame war.
	If any pittsbugh local people want to show off an AMIGA let me
know.  Thanks all.

--
Bill Broadley
Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/25/91)

In article <118265@unix.cis.pitt.edu> bill@hpb.cis.pitt.edu (Bill Broadly) writes:

>	He is now ready to spend around $1500 on a new system which

>	What would be a good system (how much disk how much RAM) to get
>for a good game machine?  How much would it cost?  How many games
>available relative to IBM.

  For games, you will rarely need more than one meg of memory, but for other
uses such as multitasking, it is nice to have a little more. Some Amiga 500s
come with 512k and some with 1 meg. A 512k expansion card costs about $60.
A 6 meg card, with 0k onboard, costs about $100. There are tons of games,
and Amiga sells the second largest game market (IBM is first). Also, you can
add ram on the hard drive controller (usually).

>	Wheres the best place to buy one (there is one small dealer
>outside of Pittsburgh), or should he go mail order?

  DO NOT order one from Montgomery Grant, of New York City. Expect to pay
$500 for an Amiga 500.

>	Any help making a descision would be greatly appreciated.
>	I will be reading this group for responses or just Email me
>and I will summarize if any interest.
>	Any must haves?  (sounds options, joystick options etc)

  There are no sound options. All sounds are already built in. Mouse is
included. Joysticks must be purchased separate (Atari 2600 or Commodore 64
joysticks will do). It requires that specific type of joystick plug.

>--
>Bill Broadley
>Broadley@schneider3.lrdc.pitt.edu
>			"GISMO"

  Well, it would cost:

  $500  Amiga 500, mouse, 880k floppy 3.5", 512k or possibly 1 meg
  $250  Analog RGB monitor (or just get a TV w/A520 ($40))
    $6  Slik Sik joystick, made by Suncom
  $600  SCSI controller, 120 meg hard drive, 512k additional ram, 8 megs max
        'DataFlyer' + 120 meg Connor drive
   $40 power supply for hard drive controller

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.