[comp.sys.amiga.games] F-18 interceptor

vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) (09/02/90)

Does anybody know if its possible to sink the submarine in mission 6 of
F-18 Interceptor.  And, if it is possible how do you do it?  I have owned
the game for a couple of years and have never been able to figure it out.
I quit trying after someone I met at a user's group meeting told me it was
impossible.  But, I'm not convinced they were'nt just saying that because
they couldn't do it. Can someone please tell me for certain?  Thanks in advance.
                                                   _____        _______
*********************************    HP48SX       / ___ \      /__    (\
*                               * .----------.    ||   ||     /( _)  z) \
* Paul Vervalin                 * |]]]]]]].-.|    ||___||    |. V__ (_ \/|
*                               * |]]]]]]]| ||    \_____/    |   ( ) ) | |
* vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM  * |]]]]]]]| ||   .-------.   [   |/  (_/ |
*                               * |]]]]]]]`-']---[ AMIGA ]__/ \  `.     /
********************************* `----------'   `-------'     \_______/

paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) (09/03/90)

In article <358@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM> vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) writes:
>Does anybody know if its possible to sink the submarine in mission 6 of
>F-18 Interceptor.  And, if it is possible how do you do it?  I have owned
>the game for a couple of years and have never been able to figure it out.
>I quit trying after someone I met at a user's group meeting told me it was
>impossible.  But, I'm not convinced they were'nt just saying that because
>they couldn't do it. Can someone please tell me for certain?  Thanks in advance.
>                                                   _____        _______

  The game was really quite bad about this whole thing.  I played it a long
time trying to figure out how to sink it (even went so far as to land on
the sub without arrestor-hook -- yes, it was quite insane -- and pummel
the conning tower).  After a little more work I came to the realization
that all you have to do it hit the sub with a single missle.  Then you
return to your carrier and the game will end (no scenes of sub sinking or
anything).  It really was anticlimatic.

  On the topic of F/A-18, is Jetfighter out for the Amiga?  I've seen this
game on several other platforms and the interface looked exactly the same
as that of F/A-18.  However, Jetfighter had like 20 or so missions (compared
to F/A-18's 6).

--
Greg Paul                | Electrical/Computer Engineer in search of a job..
paulg@frith.egr.msu.edu  |

markf@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark Foster) (09/03/90)

From article <358@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM>, by vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin):
> Does anybody know if its possible to sink the submarine in mission 6 of
> F-18 Interceptor.  And, if it is possible how do you do it?  I have owned
> the game for a couple of years and have never been able to figure it out.
> I quit trying after someone I met at a user's group meeting told me it was
> impossible.  But, I'm not convinced they were'nt just saying that because
> they couldn't do it. Can someone please tell me for certain?  Thanks in advance.

It is impossible....

If you notice, you finish the mission without sinking it. I also gave up
trying to sink it long ago.

Mark Foster, Computing Service  |         markf@syma.sussex.ac.uk            |
University of Sussex, Falmer.   |         ccfa3@cluster.sussex.ac.uk         |
England.+44 273 606755 x8096    |         #include std_disclaimer.h          |
"There are no such useless words as 'I didn't have a chance'"... Driving, HMSO

paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) writes:

>  On the topic of F/A-18, is Jetfighter out for the Amiga?  I've seen this
>game on several other platforms and the interface looked exactly the same
>as that of F/A-18.  However, Jetfighter had like 20 or so missions (compared
>to F/A-18's 6).

There is one called Jet (not Jetfighter) on the amiga, and I've seen it on
the IBM-pc. I think it's the same one you are talking about. It's done by
whoever does the Flight Simulator game (Sublogic?)

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep2.205627.13310@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) writes:
>In article <358@shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM> vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) writes:
>>Does anybody know if its possible to sink the submarine in mission 6 of
>>F-18 Interceptor.  And, if it is possible how do you do it?  I have owned
>
>  The game was really quite bad about this whole thing.  I played it a long
>time trying to figure out how to sink it (even went so far as to land on
>the sub without arrestor-hook -- yes, it was quite insane -- and pummel

Difficult, but not insane - the worst that can happen is that the game
will call you a rookie and remind you that jet fighters are not plants.

>the conning tower).  After a little more work I came to the realization
>that all you have to do it hit the sub with a single missle.  Then you
>return to your carrier and the game will end (no scenes of sub sinking or
>anything).  It really was anticlimatic.

Actually you have to shoot down at least 3 planes as well (in my experience)
to get the mission completed.  This gets extremely tricky after 3 or 4 times
through when they only give you 1 or 2 planes.  (I've noticed that if you
play the missions over and over again they get noticably harder)  The only
workaround I've discovered for that is to make sure you destroy the plane
at a high altitude, then follow it down and keep shooting it over and over
again.  Each time you hit it will give you credit for a kill, and eventually
you'll get enough to complete the mission.

I still play F-18 (when I play games, which is rare these days) because a
little imagination can add a whole lot of life to it.  For example, try
to challenge yourself in different ways - take out the cruise missile
without using the afterburners, or shoot off all your missiles before
engaging the first plane and make yourself use the guns, or cut your
engines 20 miles from the carrier (at your ceiling) and try to glide
to a safe landing.  Or hit your ceiling, point straight up, shoot off a
missile and then go catch it... (I've never managed this myself - I
don't think the game allows for you to be hit by your own weapons)

.                            <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
.---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (09/07/90)

In article <2042@nyx.UUCP>, bscott@nyx.UUCP (Ben Scott) writes:

> I still play F-18 (when I play games, which is rare these days) because a
> little imagination can add a whole lot of life to it.  For example, try
> to challenge yourself in different ways - take out the cruise missile
> without using the afterburners, or shoot off all your missiles before
> engaging the first plane and make yourself use the guns, or cut your
> engines 20 miles from the carrier (at your ceiling) and try to glide
> to a safe landing.  Or hit your ceiling, point straight up, shoot off a
> missile and then go catch it... (I've never managed this myself - I
> don't think the game allows for you to be hit by your own weapons)

For some other fun stuff I've discovered try these:

Slow the plane to about 150 knots and then turn it upside down.  Now
slowly descend toward the ground (about 5 ft/sec) and land.  The plane
will then glide across the ground slowly and then finally stop.  But
only do this during the cockpit view, if you use the outside view the
plane will blow up.  But you can use outside view after the plane has
stopped.  (This works on land or water.)

During the training mode of maneuvers climb into the air and get
yourself in line with the chase plane (just use the return key to line
it up.)  Then accelerate to some speed faster than the chase plane
and ram him.  Now as the chase plane is plummeting downward press
the return key again to line up behind him.  Doing this you can follow
him all the way to ground! (Something I've always wanted to do when
I've shot down an enemy plane.)

Anybody else have some interesting things they've done with F-18?

David Poland

In <586@metaware.metaware.com>, rickh@metaware.metaware.com (Rick Herrick) writes:

>Also, if you've ever tried to waste the TransAmerica tower or Alcatraz, you
>know that most buildings can't be shot.  There's one exception, and that's
>a building that turns out to be EA's headquarters in San Mateo.  Fly south
>from the Bay Bridge (if you're not from the Bay Area, that's the one that
>crosses the bay from east to west, and is in two parts, with an island in
>the middle).  As you see the San Mateo Bridge coming up, start to bank
>right.  You basically want to follow the bridge up to the land.  Right
>as you get to the land, you'll see a couple of smallish buildings.  Let
>loose some missiles in their parking lot.  O.K. it's not really that spec-
>tacular, but it beats trying to land on the Golden Gate Bridge!

It's also kinda fun to just taxi around at high speed. Taxi out onto the
highway and get your speed up to about 100, and head south. Take the left turn
heading for the San Mateo Bridge, and stop by to give EA a load of missiles.
Then continue on to the bridge itself and try to cross it. :-)

Oh, and while taxiing down the highway, get the outside view (from the rear),
and play with the elevator... fun stuff.. wheelies on the highway.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

rickh@metaware.metaware.com (Rick Herrick) (09/07/90)

In article <25450.26e6aa97@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>During the training mode of maneuvers climb into the air and get
>yourself in line with the chase plane (just use the return key to line
>it up.)  Then accelerate to some speed faster than the chase plane

I like to just turn on afterburners as we're taking off, then kind of
settle down on top of his plane.

>and ram him.  Now as the chase plane is plummeting downward press
>the return key again to line up behind him.  Doing this you can follow
>him all the way to ground! (Something I've always wanted to do when
>I've shot down an enemy plane.)
>
>Anybody else have some interesting things they've done with F-18?

Another kind of wierd thing:  As you're taking off on the aircraft carrier,
get your engines up high enough to get you going.  Then as you're heading
for the edge, cut your engines entirely.  If you do this wrong, you'll
simply plummet over the edge of the carrier, crash, and die.  But if you do
it right, you'll flip over and land on the water upside-down.  You can then
sit there and shoot the carrier (it just smokes, like the sub).  If there's
MIGs around, they'll come try to shoot you sometimes.  But I've never
actually been hit.

Also, if you've ever tried to waste the TransAmerica tower or Alcatraz, you
know that most buildings can't be shot.  There's one exception, and that's
a building that turns out to be EA's headquarters in San Mateo.  Fly south
from the Bay Bridge (if you're not from the Bay Area, that's the one that
crosses the bay from east to west, and is in two parts, with an island in
the middle).  As you see the San Mateo Bridge coming up, start to bank
right.  You basically want to follow the bridge up to the land.  Right
as you get to the land, you'll see a couple of smallish buildings.  Let
loose some missiles in their parking lot.  O.K. it's not really that spec-
tacular, but it beats trying to land on the Golden Gate Bridge!

                                          -Echo
                                           The Potato-Salad-Eatin' Fool.
INTERNET: rickh@metaware.com               AT&T: (408) 427-9814 home
UUCP:     uunet!metaware!rickh             (408) 429-6382 x3086 work

--

hunt@dg-rtp.dg.com (Greg Hunt) (09/08/90)

In article <25450.26e6aa97@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> Anybody else have some interesting things they've done with F-18?
>
> David Poland

I've tried to drive across the bridges, but it doesn't work.  It looks
like you start driving up the ramp, but then you "fall through" the
bridge deck back onto the ground.  You can then look up and see the
bottom of the bridge.

The Golden Gate bridge, at least, isn't a real obstacle.  You can
fly right through it without harm.  I think this is true of the
other bridges as well.

I've also landed on the carrier sub.  I laughed out loud when they
refueled and rearmed my plane for me.  I guess the Russians are
stealing a better class of weapons these days.

I've landed on the US carrier with the F-16 (the one without the
arrestor hook).  You just have to cut all power and stomp on the
brake real quick.

I heard somewhere that all Electronic Arts games contain in them the
three solids that they use for a logo:  the sphere, the pyramid, and
the cube.  Anyone know if the rumor is true?  If so, the only one I
have found in F-18 is the pyramid in the form of the mountains.

--
Greg Hunt                        Internet: hunt@dg-rtp.dg.com
DG/UX Kernel Development         UUCP:     {world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!hunt

liberato@dri.com (Jimmy Liberato) (09/08/90)

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Anybody else have some interesting things they've done with F-18?

>David Poland

Have you tried pulling a sustained 7 Gs during a turn?  Causes me to
blackout.  No, really, the screen actually goes black.

--
Jimmy Liberato   liberato@dri.com
                 ...uunet!drivax!liberato

ms0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Gordon Shapiro) (09/08/90)

As long as everyone's on the topic, does anyone know if Interceptor will
run on an A3000/WB 2.0 setup?

mgs

jasonf@cetemp.Eng.Sun.COM (Jason Freund) (09/08/90)

	My favorite was to fly real low over the tall buildings in SF at
a slow speed and try to eject so that my chute opens and my dude floats
down through a building.

	Try this:  fire missiles at the carrier's control tower and then
view your plane from the tower's view and see the missiles hit you and
blow up.

Jason Freund, Sun Microsystems,  jasonf@cetemp.Corp.sun.com  <== summer address
Deprtmnt of Computer Science, Univ California, Davis. freund@sakura.ucdavis.edu
Quantum Link: JasonF5,  Compu$erve: 72007,244, 690 Erie Dr, Sunnyvale, CA 94087
STOLEN QUOTES -- Please give the authors credit if you know who they are!
"To understand recursion, you need to understand recursion."
"Wow!  Virtual memory!  Now I'm gonna build me a REALLY big ram disk!"
"My other computer is a SUN3/50."  "E. Pluribus UNIX"   -- authors unkown

liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (mark lieb) (09/08/90)

Yeah, actually this game has a few other good things to do...

1:  On the mission to save presidents plane, if you can land along side of
    it, then in the big blow-up pic it gives of US1 landing, you will be
    in the picture too.

2:  I guess I remembered wrong, but 6 missle shots should sink the Ruskie
    sub....or maybe it just counts that as having completed the mission,
    can't recall.

3:  So far as the question of EA putting the []/\() in all of its games,
    this has generally proven to be correct.  I recall in another game,
    Faery Tale Adventure, when you go to the Etherial realm, an annoying
    trio of floating spheres keep bugging you.  They can't harm you, but
    generally you end up destoying them over and over.  Can you get what
    the three shapes are?  Winner gets a years subscription to Antic.

4:  Go to the ceiling, adjust your plane so it is as close to perfectly
    verticle as possible.  Fire off your missiles.

This game has more and more stuff that you can do with it.  I hear that
there is actually a way to get the Yar to come out. :)

				Mark

chem194@canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis, chem dept, UoC NZ) (09/10/90)

In article <57563@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (mark lieb) writes:
> Yeah, actually this game has a few other good things to do...

My personal favourite is to climb to a decent altitude, then using the
minus key reduce thrust to 0 and then on to -ve ( reverse thrust ).

You'll find yourself sucking yourself (slowly) upwards - and I always
thought you had to have a harrier to hover :-)

RIDOUT@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (09/10/90)

> Anybody else have some interesting things they've done with F-18?
>
> David Poland
The only thing I have done is shoot down the two migs chasing Air Force one.
Then I hurry back and land before af1 and try to get it to land on top of me,
shoot it down just before it lands, or even drive through it after it lands.  I
have even tried to fly at its wing as it lands.  I found that to be hard.
I also tried to drive through San Fran and over one of the bridges but they are
not solid so you drive through them and get stuck in the mud.
*  Brian Ridout                     Internet: ridout@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil    *
*  wl/scev                                                                 *
*  Kirtland AFB NM 87117            My Apple is better than your Orange.   *

paulg@frith.uucp (Gregory R Paul) (09/12/90)

In article <11550@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil> RIDOUT@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil writes:
>> Anybody else have some interesting things they've done with F-18?
>>
>> David Poland
>The only thing I have done is shoot down the two migs chasing Air Force one.
>Then I hurry back and land before af1 and try to get it to land on top of me,
>shoot it down just before it lands, or even drive through it after it lands.  I
>have even tried to fly at its wing as it lands.  I found that to be hard.
>I also tried to drive through San Fran and over one of the bridges but they are
>not solid so you drive through them and get stuck in the mud.

   Yeah, I was most disappointed that the bridges weren't solid.  I went
through a lot of trouble to set up a good approach to one, only to fly
through it (was expected at least a neat crash on clipping a wire or
something).

   Landing on the carrier without an arrestor hook was a bitch.

   There has to be something fundamentally wrong when a fighter plane
running with top thrust can get stuck in the mud/sand/whatever on
the ground....

--
Greg Paul                | Electrical/Computer Engineer in search of a job..
paulg@frith.egr.msu.edu  |
Case Center Consultant   | "So why exactly were these borogroves
sysop:  Sietch Tabr      |   so mimsy anyways?"

Rick.Dieffenbach@f43.n135.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Rick Dieffenbach) (09/14/90)

I've just spent most of my time trying to sink the sub.  Wish the darn thing
would do it!  I have switched to Falcon Counterstrike as my premier
simulator.

--
Rick Dieffenbach - via FidoNet node 1:135/943
UUCP: ...!nstar!conch!keys!43!Rick.Dieffenbach

martijn@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Reinalda M.) (09/20/90)

Try this in interceptor :  During flight press the '-' until
your engines stop, release it and keep it pressed again.
Your engines will give reverse thrust, and eventualy you will
be flying your F-18 backwards !!!

Here's more fun : Just by using the '-' and '+' key try to hit
the ground as slowly as possible. If you do it right you won't crash
but the plane will bounce up and down like a skippyball. (You can even
steer it while hopping!!)

c9037090@cc.newcastle.edu.au (03/19/91)

	does anyone know how to sink the sub in mission 6??I have scored several
direct hits but nothing happens.

						rorZORLACh

pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar19.133751.9855@cc.newcastle.edu.au>, c9037090@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:

> 	does anyone know how to sink the sub in mission 6??I have scored several
> direct hits but nothing happens.

Shouldn't this be a FAQ? Do we have a FAQ list in c.s.a.g?

A: You don't actually have to sink the sub to finish the mission. You
have to shoot down all the planes before the cruise missile is launched.
Another thing I've noticed is that the cruise missile will not be
launched if you stay close to the sub. I seem to remember that if you
pump 6 missiles into the conning tower in a row, it will explode,
although I haven't managed it yet.

You don't need to fly back to home to rearm - you will be refueled/armed
if you land on the sub. properly.

Paul Brooks        |Internet: pwb@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au
Uni. of N.S.W.     |If you have trouble sleeping, try lying on the end of
Kensington NSW 2033|   your bed. With a little luck you'll drop off.
AUSTRALIA          |                              - Mark Twain.

perod@ifi.uio.no (Per Christian deg}rd) (03/20/91)

It's an easy task to sink the sub. Just shoot down all the enemy planes/missiles
and Bob's your uncle! You don't even have too see the sub!

Happy hunting!

Per Chr. Odegard (perod@ifi.uio.no)

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (03/21/91)

In article <1229@usage.csd.unsw.oz.au> pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) writes:
                                [...]
>A: You don't actually have to sink the sub to finish the mission. You
>have to shoot down all the planes before the cruise missile is launched.
>Another thing I've noticed is that the cruise missile will not be
>launched if you stay close to the sub. I seem to remember that if you
>pump 6 missiles into the conning tower in a row, it will explode,
>although I haven't managed it yet.
                                [...]
Here is the submarine mission excerpt from my FA/18 spoiler sheet (compiled
from submissions by the readers of this newsgroup):

SUBMARINE MISSION:

It is really not that difficult to land on the submarine,ok ok.. so you stack
2 out of 3 times.. but it certainly is not a fluke thing..

all you need to do is come in verry low,(below the level of the subs decking)
come in just below a stall heading on about a 45 degree angle from the sub
(you should be heading towards the conning tower end (ie land on the rear
of the sub and use the length of the sub to actually stop).  Aim at just
missing the conning tower and come in nice and slow.. air brakes on at the
last minute, wheels down and put the brakes on. Now.. just before you fly
straight into the side of the sub pull up (effectivly stalling) and you
should effectively do a controlled (non damaging) crash on the deck of the
sub.. if you try it a few times you will get it eventually..

also...

If you do it right you will also get refulled and rearmed.. which you can
then go and use against the sub..

But....

Taking off again is more difficult.. Switch to overhead view.. zoom right
back so that you can see your plane and the whole sub decking.. brakes on..
and trottle up to 5% or 10% thrust and put yourself at the extreme end of
the  flightdeck, facing the right way..

Dont fall off.. after getting this far it is a real bummer :-(

go to full thrust,kill the brakes and everything else and you should make it.

KILLING THE SUB:

Dump your ordnance (your AMRAAMs only, the AIMs don't work worth a
damn) on the sub-carrier's conning tower.Then go back and get another load
and do it again. If you can get 6 (not 5, but 6!) AMRAAMs to hit the tower
squarely, you'll be treated to a lovely explosion and a sinking vessel.All of
this can be done at just under 100 feet. I found that pulling up to 95 feet
when you're about to fire works well, and the MiGs never touch me.

            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com
--

steve@nmt.edu (Chuck) (03/23/91)

I've found it easy just to land on the enemy sub using the arresting lines,
and runway it allready has on it...  The crash technique seems much too
difficult. Taking back off is also easy, by just keeping the arrestor hook
on until your after burners are on.  You also get refueled this way.

--
steve@nmt.edu

ic1a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ian Chan) (04/30/91)

To end the missions you either catch the wire or shut down your turbine.

On the sub mission: if you fly to half way between your carrier and the
enemy ship and engage the MiGs there the cruise missile will not appear
and you will not have to chase it down.  Shoot down all the "bogeys" &
you will be done.