[comp.sys.amiga.games] DragonWars

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (11/22/90)

Is anyone playing this game yet?  It showed up on my local dealer's shelf
last week, and since Ultima V was still not available, I picked it up.
My general impression?  I like it!  It's a lot like the Bard's Tale series
(especially the graphics), and in fact can import your Bard's Tale's
characters.  It is not copy protected, hard disk installable, it seems to
multitask properly, and it exits cleanly when you quit the game.  The
documentation is excellent, consisting of a large 'Dragon Wars' manual, and
a smaller Amiga specific reference booklet.  There is one documentation
error in the booklet (actually the program seems incorrect here) where the
'Change Order' command is really P, not O.

The game plays like your standard adventure - you start with a group of
characters with no clothes, money, weapons, etc., and you have to explore
an interesting world and rid the place of the evil Namtar, who has despoiled
the formerly beautiful land.  There are some interesting twists in DW -
for example, increasing your AC by buying expensive armor often decreases
your attacking ability (AV).  Most games track these two independently.
Also, when you gain experience levels, you are allowed to pick and
choose where you want your extra skill points to go.  It adds a nice touch
to the game, and also makes for some interesting strategic choices.

Another nice touch is the auto mapping feature.  You won't need your graph
paper to complete Dragon Wars.  I've played the game for several days, and
was wondering if anyone out there had found a way to defeat the Water
Slime (or whatever they're called) in the Mystic Forset.  These guys are
tough!

Brian Pelletier, Hardware guy | Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.
Sky Computer  Chelmsford, MA  | Amiga!  UUCP: pelletier@grove.uucp (home)
UUCP: brian@sky.com (work)    | Plink: TACK

A_ASENCIO@UPR1.UPR.CUN.EDU (Hard Bytes Amiga User Group) (01/03/91)

Hi everybody:

Question:

At this point I want to know if there is an effective way to avoid or
minimize the damage of the Breath Weapon of the monsters.

Comentaries:

I have found more useful to increase Fistfighting than the weapons, I do
more with the Fists that with a sword!
(And only costs 1 point to increase it)

For those who don't know Dragon Wars, if you like Bard's Tale, this your
type.

This is what Bard's Tale should been, great graphics, animated, great
music, HD instalable, no copy protection, and the best of all, great
auto-mapping. Also you can transfer 4 of your Bard's Tale characters.

Best wishes to Namtar,
Angel//
   \X/

      Angel Asencio//               Computer Engineering Student
                 \X/                University of Puerto Rico
802360644%rumac%upr1.upr.clu.edu    Mayaguez Campus
A_ASENCIO%upr1.upr.clu.edu
  ******* Amiga, it's not just a computer, it's THE COMPUTER *******

ECZ5ACK@OAC.UCLA.EDU (Andy Kohler) (01/03/91)

>For those who don't know Dragon Wars, if you like Bard's Tale, this your
>type.
>This is what Bard's Tale should been, great graphics, animated, great
>music, HD instalable, no copy protection, and the best of all, great
>auto-mapping. Also you can transfer 4 of your Bard's Tale characters.

Is this game challenging (like Bards Tale II) or is it fairly
routine (like Bards Tale III)?  I enjoyed the puzzles in BT II, along
with the hack/slash parts, but BT III (played on my C64) was too
simple - the game guided me along too much, like Champions of Krynn did.
How does Dragon Wars compare?

Andy Kohler
ecz5ack@mvs.oac.ucla.edu  or  ecz5ack@UCLAMVS

vgibbs@nmsu.edu (GIBBS) (01/25/91)

I have been playing for about a day on this game, and haven't figured
out, through reading the manual or game play how to get back spell
points. Any tips? Thanks, vgibbs@dante.nmsu.edu

robinson@delux2.cs.umass.edu (Richard Robinson) (02/13/91)

HELP! I just got Dragon Wars and tried it on my 512K Amiga 1000. It loaded,
went past the title screen, came to main screen and then died - GURU.
Has anyone else had this problem or is it my disks? They copy fine and
have no read/write errors on them. Thanx in advance.

-Dread
--
robinson@elux1.cs.umass.edu

A_ASENCIO@upr1.upr.clu.edu (Hard Bytes Amiga User Group) (04/25/91)

Hi:

I'm stuck in the Magic College test in Rustic.
How I pass the Gargoyle that turn my group into stone?

Thanks,
Angel//
   \X/

   //  Hard Bytes                University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez
 \X/   Amiga User Group          A_ASENCIO@upr1.upr.clu.edu
    Turquesa #20, Vista Verde
    Mayaguez, PR 00708
  ******* Did you eat your Apple? Is your machine STuck?  *******
  ***//**  Or your Inferior Broken Machine doesn't work?  ***//**
  *\X/***   @ @         WE HAVE THE CURE           @ @    *\X/***
  *******  \___/   Get an Amiga, it's the best!   \___/   *******

jcc@frog.UUCP (Jim Chagnon) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr25.225352.5287@watdragon.waterloo.edu> trhubman@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Troy Hubman) writes:
>I'm stuck with the following problems:

>1) Nergil, in Necropolis, wants to be fed and served.  What do I feed him?

 Mushrooms, found in the magic forest.

>2) How do I get out of the initial room in the College of Magic?

 I couldnt get out of there either.  I may have to start over, cause
I sold some stuff that seemed useless and I needed some dragon stones.

  Also, don't steal stuff.  I joined the Byzanople(?) army, was told to
wander about the town, and "borrowed" some stuff I found.  At some point,
the stairs went away and no magic I tried would let me out.  End of game.

jcc

DA3721A@acad.drake.edu (05/02/91)

Have found three pieces of Lanc'toor, need to find his head, any ideas where
it might be located?
					David Aschbrenner