[comp.sys.amiga.games] WONDERLAND -- GET THIS GAME!

swildner@channelz.gun.de (Sascha Wildner) (04/28/91)

Hello, all you adventure freaks! Wonderland is out for the Amiga and it's one
of the best adventures I've ever seen. It consists of four disks, supports
four (!) different resolutions (LoRes/NonInterlace with 16 colors,
HiRes/NonInterlace with 4 grey shades [I suppose this is for people who are
too used to the ST's monochrome mode], HiRes/Interlace with 16 colors [for
the Amiga 3000 owners] and HiRes/Interlace monochrome with no graphics [for
all hardcore text adventure gurus]), comes with animated graphics, wonderful
sound and a menu/window system that has to be seen to be believed. Just the
thing for all those mourning about the exitus of Infocom.

I can recommend it to EVERYONE who likes good adventures and prefers typing
to using the joystick or clicking on dumb verbs and pictures. The rest: Go
play Monkey Island.

GET THIS GAME AND ENTER THE WONDERLAND OF FINE ADVENTURE ON THE AMIGA!

I love this game (and go right back to it after sending off this article).

--
sascha wildner         swildner@channelz.gun.de
am druvendriesch 27    ...!{tmpmbx|mcshh|smurf|unido}!easix!channelz!swildner

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (04/28/91)

From article <swildner.3208@channelz.gun.de>, by swildner@channelz.gun.de (Sascha Wildner):
> Hello, all you adventure freaks! Wonderland is out for the Amiga and it's one
> of the best adventures I've ever seen. It consists of four disks, supports
> four (!) different resolutions (LoRes/NonInterlace with 16 colors,
> HiRes/NonInterlace with 4 grey shades [I suppose this is for people who are
> too used to the ST's monochrome mode], HiRes/Interlace with 16 colors [for
> the Amiga 3000 owners] and HiRes/Interlace monochrome with no graphics [for
> all hardcore text adventure gurus]), comes with animated graphics, wonderful
> sound and a menu/window system that has to be seen to be believed. Just the
> thing for all those mourning about the exitus of Infocom.

Does it multitask?  If so, does it chew and spit out processor time?
What's the storyline? (or is that obvious?)

Greg

All opinions are my own, and not those of my employer.
Why?  He doesn't know I'm doing this.
								-Wubba

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (04/28/91)

In article <11492@uwm.edu> gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) writes:
>From article <swildner.3208@channelz.gun.de>, by swildner@channelz.gun.de (Sascha Wildner):
>> Hello, all you adventure freaks! Wonderland is out for the Amiga and it's one
>> of the best adventures I've ever seen. It consists of four disks, supports
>> four (!) different resolutions (LoRes/NonInterlace with 16 colors,
>> HiRes/NonInterlace with 4 grey shades [I suppose this is for people who are
>> too used to the ST's monochrome mode], HiRes/Interlace with 16 colors [for
>> the Amiga 3000 owners] and HiRes/Interlace monochrome with no graphics [for
>> all hardcore text adventure gurus]), comes with animated graphics, wonderful
>> sound and a menu/window system that has to be seen to be believed. Just the
>> thing for all those mourning about the exitus of Infocom.
>
>Does it multitask?  If so, does it chew and spit out processor time?

The game is from Virgin Mastertronic.  They are not know for being all that
kind to the system.  However, based on the way the game works, it would be
very much to their advantage to use intuition to handle all the windowing
instead of having to reinvent the wheel.  However, I will remain skeptical
until someone states otherwise.

I've seen the pictures in adverts for it that have the IBM VGA screens and
the game looks impressive.  It's a text adventure with graphics for various
parts of it as well as automapping (Beyond Zork/Zork Zero style).  In fact,
the game looks like something that might have come from Infocom if they
were still around today as more than a name.

Anyway, this is a game which under no circumstances should it not be 1)
os friendly, 2) multitasking and 3) HD installable (especially if it's four
disks...).  Also, I'd hardly consider it to be the kind of game that would
be a CPU pig.

>What's the storyline? (or is that obvious?)

The add for the game is not very clear.  Basically you play the part of
Alice and have to solve many strange and demented puzzles.  What the
ultimate object of the game is, I don't know.

If they actually implemented this game well (meaning it meets the criteria
I listed above), I'd buy this game in a second.  But the publisher worries
me...  Maybe they are just acting as distributer for a smaller software
house?

-=> CAW

Christopher A. Wichura                Multitasking.  Just DO it.
caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)                          ...the Amiga way...
u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)

bosman@fwi.uva.nl (Dr.Doom) (04/29/91)

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) writes:

>From article <swildner.3208@channelz.gun.de>, by swildner@channelz.gun.de (Sascha Wildner):
>> Hello, all you adventure freaks! Wonderland is out for the Amiga and it's one
>> of the best adventures I've ever seen. It consists of four disks, supports
>> four (!) different resolutions (LoRes/NonInterlace with 16 colors,
>> HiRes/NonInterlace with 4 grey shades [I suppose this is for people who are
>> too used to the ST's monochrome mode], HiRes/Interlace with 16 colors [for
>> the Amiga 3000 owners] and HiRes/Interlace monochrome with no graphics [for
>> all hardcore text adventure gurus]), comes with animated graphics, wonderful
>> sound and a menu/window system that has to be seen to be believed. Just the
>> thing for all those mourning about the exitus of Infocom.

>Does it multitask?  If so, does it chew and spit out processor time?
>What's the storyline? (or is that obvious?)

I got the game but I have troubles putting it on my harddisk.
They put a nice HD-install program with it but that freezes up
after a while (both unpacked and packed graphics).
It works fine on disks.
Am I the only one with that problem?

--
|bosman@fwi.uva.nl //     |  Dont't loose your head,to gain a minute,   |
|              \\ //AMIGA |  you need your head,your brains are in it.  |

edgar@csri.toronto.edu (Edgar LeBel) (04/29/91)

In article <swildner.3208@channelz.gun.de> swildner@channelz.gun.de (Sascha Wildner) writes:

>GET THIS GAME AND ENTER THE WONDERLAND OF FINE ADVENTURE ON THE AMIGA!
>
>--
>sascha wildner         swildner@channelz.gun.de
>am druvendriesch 27    ...!{tmpmbx|mcshh|smurf|unido}!easix!channelz!swildner
>5030 huerth 6
>++49-2233-15571        "A sucker is born every minute."

			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                        So we're supposed to believe you?

Hobie Orris

jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) (05/02/91)

I took a look at this game in a local store recently. As adventures go,
the adventure itself looks very good. It's really a game for a hard
drive though; the graphis take a while to load from floppy. Also, you're
given the option of 4 game modes :

1) low rez 16 colours
2) med rez 4 colours
3) high rez interlace 16 colours
4) high rez text only

(1) looked good but the text was LARGE and that meant that if a large
room description came up you had to use the scroll bars to read it if
you wanted to keep the windows so you could see the graphics at the same
time.

(2) is playable but the graphics are effectively black and white.
(3) that flicker is TOO much. On a phillips monitor that was unplayable.
I don't know how good a job these flicker-fixers do though. Anyone tried
them ?
(4) is a bit of a cop out really! Especially for 30 quid.

				Jamie.