[comp.sys.amiga.games] Jez San's Flight Simulato

tricky@cix.compulink.co.uk (Richard Harrison) (05/03/91)

Subject: Re:  Jez San's Flight Simulator
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.games

>>In article <15080014@hpmwmat.HP.COM> mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:
>>Originally to be called "Hawk", Jez San's flight simulator is now named "Birds
>>of Prey".  He originally wrote it on a PC with lots of add-ons (mostly extra
>>memory) and then had to figure out what to cut out so it would run on an

Jez didn't write Birds of Prey/Hawk on a PC. It was originally written on
the Amiga derived from the Starglider II game shell. The first version I saw
ran on a 1mb Amiga, and mid-term versions needed ~2mb, but it is now back to
running on a 1mb Amiga. Jez didn't do much of the coding himself, his company
(argonaut) did, with a team of 4-8 people over the last three years.

On an A3000 it is truly awesome; making as much use of the processing power
and fast memory as possible.  It runs at 20-35 frames per second, which
makes it the fastest 3d solid graphics game which I've ever seen on the
amiga.  I believe most of the speed improvement comes from the super
efficient graphics routines which argonaut have written which are faster
than the blitter on a normal amiga; and run at light-speed on a souped up
Amiga.

|     .           .   | Richard J. Harrison, tricky@cix.compulink.co.ukc  |
|   .__  (__  __)  .  |  '.co.ukc', the domain where international mail   |
|     /     ~~______  |             costs $0.06/kb                        |
| / /\ . /|  _ \  /   | Sometimes the above address fails, if so use      |
| \/  \|/ |_/\\_\/__/ | tricky%cix.compulink.co.uk@specialix.co.uk        |