[comp.sys.amiga.games] Archon

tom@clipper.ingr.com (Tom Granvold) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr25.170501.30047@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <yorkw.672611079@stable.ecn.purdue.edu>, yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>>
>> Good luck finding the archons, and better luck with getting them to WORK.
>> (I've never seen them) The other OLD ea titles don't like stuff like
>> non-Chip Memory, Anything higher then a 68000, and Very picky about drive
>> alingment.
>>

>Well, I have Archon I with a 68000 + 3 megs + 1 meg agnus and have tried
>like crazy to get it to work with the above mentioned patches.  But I only
>get as far as the EOA screen and then it gurus every time.  I'd also love
>to get Seven Cities to work too (unfortunately both were written for 1.1)
>
>Oh yeah, I'm running it under 1.3 (and have tried 1.2 with no luck as well.)
>
>So, am I doing something wrong or do the patches not work with my setup?
>
>David Poland
>2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

As far I know both Archon (I) and Seven Cities both work under 1.1.  My
son still plays them both on my old 1000.

Name:    Tom Granvold
Mail:    2400 Geng Rd., Palo Alto, Calif., 94303
UUCP:    ucbvax!decvax!decwrl!pyramid!garth!tom
  or:    tom@clipper.ingr.com

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/02/91)

[]
I have played many games of both ArchonI and ArchonII on a 28Mhz 9M GVP
030 equipped Amiga 2000, using KS 1.3.
For Archon II I used a program called FIXEA, which just modified the
bootblock to mask out all fast memory.  It used to be on all the BBS's.
I wrote a preboot and patch for Archon I, and uploaded it to some
ftp sites, but it required one to manually tweek ones bootblock using
DiskX or something like that, and required a preboot which ASSUMES
that one as 2M of expansion ram starting at $200000 (I think).
It worked but was ugly.  Many people have gotten it to work on their
systems.

It is possible, just not easy.

-ROger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (05/03/91)

In article <8963@crash.cts.com>, Roger Uzun writes:

> []
> I have played many games of both ArchonI and ArchonII on a 28Mhz 9M GVP
> 030 equipped Amiga 2000, using KS 1.3.
> For Archon II I used a program called FIXEA, which just modified the

Can you either POST it here, in uuencoded format, or mail it to me, please?  I
haven't been able to play Archon since I got my A2500 (also with GVP 030 card
and 9Mb!  :-)

Ta.
[Sorry, I can't mail YOU]

Dac
--
David Andrew Clayton. // _l _  _|Normally a resident at dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au
Canberra, Australia.\X/ (_](_l(_|But, due to circumstances beyond my control, I