[comp.sys.amiga.games] Tips needed for Ultima 5

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) (05/04/91)

Hi!
I need some general tips for Ultima V. First of all, where should I start
looking for clues in my quest? I went to Lord British's castle and looked
around briefly, but there were a couple magically locked doors, and I didn't
find many clues to follow.

Do I have to pay attention to virtue as in Ultima IV? Is it okay
for me to run from combat and take the weapons/scrolls/potions/etc. that I
find hidden in dressers, etc in castles and towns?

Also, when people ask for my name, should I tell them or make something up?
Thanks, Steve

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!steves
ARPA: crash!pnet01!steves@nosc.mil
INET: steves@pnet01.cts.com

mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M Friedrich) (05/05/91)

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:

>Hi!
>I need some general tips for Ultima V. First of all, where should I start
>looking for clues in my quest? I went to Lord British's castle and looked
>around briefly, but there were a couple magically locked doors, and I didn't
>find many clues to follow.

You can search barrels and lockers and anything like this. There are items
in some of those, armour, weapons, skull keys for those magic locked doors...
Look for clues in every town. Talk to the people in each town. The most
important thing in Ultima is to talk to the people. Some know the magic
words for opening the dungeons for example.

>Do I have to pay attention to virtue as in Ultima IV? Is it okay
>for me to run from combat and take the weapons/scrolls/potions/etc. that I
>find hidden in dressers, etc in castles and towns?

You have to pay attention to the virtues for you are an Avatar. You'll ever
have to pay attention, even in Ultima VI. So it is not okay for you to run
away from battles, to kill sleeping persons (though a nice effect :)
don't kill citizens, don't steal food from fields.
But you may take the items you find.

>Also, when people ask for my name, should I tell them or make something up?
>Thanks, Steve

Why do you want to fake a name? Makes no sense. Tell them your name, why not?
---
   /~\   |  Martin Friedrich       IRC/FN/BITNET: Efchen
  C oo   |  Postfach 1602     NightFall: Sir Efchen, Knight of Elvendar
  _( ^)  |  8520 Erlangen
   ~\    |  GERMANY        InterNet:mnfriedr@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
 Tie two birds together. Though they have four wings, they cannot fly.
                                                    - The silent Flute

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) (05/08/91)

mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M Friedrich) writes:

>You can search barrels and lockers and anything like this. There are items
>in some of those, armour, weapons, skull keys for those magic locked doors...
>Look for clues in every town. Talk to the people in each town. The most
>important thing in Ultima is to talk to the people. Some know the magic
>words for opening the dungeons for example.

Are there any skull keys in Lord British's castle? Can I buy them anywhere?

>Why do you want to fake a name? Makes no sense. Tell them your name, why not?

In Yew, there is a sign that says "Wanted: Steve, Iolo & Shamino," and I
thought that I might get jailed if I told people my name.

mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M Friedrich) (05/08/91)

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:

>mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M Friedrich) writes:

>>You can search barrels and lockers and anything like this. There are items
>>in some of those, armour, weapons, skull keys for those magic locked doors...
>>Look for clues in every town. Talk to the people in each town. The most
>>important thing in Ultima is to talk to the people. Some know the magic
>>words for opening the dungeons for example.

>Are there any skull keys in Lord British's castle? Can I buy them anywhere?
Nope, Skull Keys can be found in the tree in the northwest corner of Minoc.
Every noon, the Blacksmith puts 5 Keys in there.
You can buy them somewhere, too, but to get them from the tree does not cost
anything.

>>Why do you want to fake a name? Makes no sense. Tell them your name, why not?

>In Yew, there is a sign that says "Wanted: Steve, Iolo & Shamino," and I
>thought that I might get jailed if I told people my name.
The sign always says WANTED: The first three of your characters.
You're jailed in when you won't pay the guards in the towns. Never let them
talk to you. And BTW, if you have keys, you can easily get out of jail.
(If you have none, someone comes to your cell at 10am and may sell you some.)

-Efchen
---