[comp.sys.amiga.games] Many opinions and reviews requested

tony@uc780.umd.edu (04/29/91)

Hi.  I have a basic old A500 with (500 Chip, 500 fast RAM), and a
second floppy drive.  With these limitations in mind...

There are a lot of games out there I am leary about, mainly because
I haven't heard a lot of opinion about them.

Would anyone care to comment on playability, graphics, and interface
for:

o  Space Quest and King's Quest games from Sierra...so many games are
   ported instead of really rewritten (Space Rogue comes to mind), and
   it seems that the ones that have been rewritten (like SimCity) are
   a lot more friendly than clunky ports...How do these Sierra games
   add up.

o  Future Wars.  I've seen this in the stores, but have heard no comments
   about it.  Is it text, graphics, what?  How is it?

o  Spellcasting 101.  Is this out for the Amiga?  I have not seen it at all.

These were foremost in my mind.  Next time I'm in the store, I'll note
others and ask about them.  Any comments on the above titles would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

--Tony   (tony@uc780.umd.edu   tony@uc780.bitnet)
         (tmurray@umuc.umd.edu)

roger_earl@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca (Roger Earl) (05/01/91)

tony@uc780.umd.edu (Tony) writes...
>Would anyone care to comment on playability, graphics, and interface
>for:
>
>o  Space Quest and King's Quest games from Sierra...so many games are
>   ported instead of really rewritten (Space Rogue comes to mind), and
>   it seems that the ones that have been rewritten (like SimCity) are
>   a lot more friendly than clunky ports...How do these Sierra games
>   add up.
>
>o  Future Wars.  I've seen this in the stores, but have heard no comments
>   about it.  Is it text, graphics, what?  How is it?
>
>o  Spellcasting 101.  Is this out for the Amiga?  I have not seen it at all.
>
>These were foremost in my mind.  Next time I'm in the store, I'll note
>others and ask about them.  Any comments on the above titles would be
>greatly appreciated.

I have almost all the Sierra games on the Amiga, they are indeed just 'ported'
over.  This makes the games more or less the same as they are on an IBM.
Some of the Sierra games do treat the second floppy a bit odd (can use it for
save disks, but not game disks, but this is how I would use it anyway).

Future Wars is one of my favorite adventure games to date.  The graphics are
superb and original, the plot is subtly more humorous than the Sierra games.
The interface is really what makes it shine, though.  Point and click all the
way, so its the puzzles themselves that are hard.  None of the old trying to
figure out what that green blob is supposed to be like the Sierra games.

I've never heard of Spellcasting 101.

                                                __________
                                               |  ______  |
   ________                                    | |      | |
  | ______ |      'But that isn't a fair       | |      | |
  ||      ||       comparison.  People         | |______| |
  ||______||      like the Etch-A-Sketch.'     |          |
  | o    o |                                   | _ _ _ _ _|
  |________|                                  (|__________|\
                                              |     ________)_
Roger Earl                                   [^]   |          |
roger_earl@icecave.wimsey.bc.ca              [_]   |__________|

elaine@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Elaine May) (05/04/91)

>    o  Space Quest and King's Quest games from Sierra...so many games are
>       ported instead of really rewritten (Space Rogue comes to mind), and
>       it seems that the ones that have been rewritten (like SimCity) are
>       a lot more friendly than clunky ports...How do these Sierra games
>       add up.
Space Quest III is rather clunky (EGA graphics), but I thought the humor
and the plot line made up for it.  I plan on getting Space Quest IV when
it is available.

I also have Kings Quest I and Manhunter NY.  Both have wretched graphics
and neither have interested me enough to want to play them for very long.

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/08/91)

In article <11480010@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> elaine@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Elaine May) writes:
>>    o  Space Quest and King's Quest games from Sierra...so many games are
>>       ported instead of really rewritten (Space Rogue comes to mind), and
>>       it seems that the ones that have been rewritten (like SimCity) are
>>       a lot more friendly than clunky ports...How do these Sierra games
>>       add up.
>Space Quest III is rather clunky (EGA graphics), but I thought the humor
>and the plot line made up for it.  I plan on getting Space Quest IV when
>it is available.
                                [...]
I have seen derogatory comments about the Space Quest series before, and I
always wondered, 'Don't these guys have a sense of humor?'

I mean, do we have to be such fascists about the Amiga all the time?  Just
because an implementation falls below the level of the Amiga's capabilities
doesn't mean it is not worth playing!

I had a blast with Space Quest I, in spite of the EGA style graphics and
uninspired sound effects.  The enjoyment came from the humorous way that the
puzzles were solved.  I spent several days solving the problem of how to get
away from the monster in the cave (he has a name but I forget).  Anyway, I
finally thought to throw the can of dehydrated water at him, and the result
was hilarious (to me anyway, but I always liked Calvin and Hobbes, too).

I am probably a pretty uninspired adventurer, so it took me months to finish
all the puzzles in this game.  I was frustrated at times, but it was worth it
when I figured them out, and the humor made it even better.

Was there a Sapce Quest II, BTW?  I've seen III, but I've never seen II.
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.
  Warren   v\ *|     ----------------------------------------------
             V       {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.com
--

wrl416@unhd.unh.edu (William R Letourneau) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May08.155858.27499@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>Was there a Sapce Quest II, BTW?  I've seen III, but I've never seen II.

 I know there was a Space Quest II for the IBM.  (I believe it's called
 Vohaul's Revenge)  It was a little easier than the first one, but just as
 funny and enjoyable.  Space Quest III was the easiest so far (I finished in
 three hours) so I really hope that SQ IV is more challenging.

                           (I don't know if it's on the Amiga)

                             my .02,

                             ---Bill

Total Carnage, I love it!

There was rompin' and stompin' an occasional crash, a fist fight or two and
Nintendo for cash.

tedg@apollo.HP.COM (Ted Grzesik) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May08.155858.27499@convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>I have seen derogatory comments about the Space Quest series before, and I
>always wondered, 'Don't these guys have a sense of humor?'
>
>I mean, do we have to be such fascists about the Amiga all the time?  Just
>because an implementation falls below the level of the Amiga's capabilities
>doesn't mean it is not worth playing!
>
>I had a blast with Space Quest I, in spite of the EGA style graphics and
>uninspired sound effects.  The enjoyment came from the humorous way that the
>puzzles were solved.  I spent several days solving the problem of how to get
>away from the monster in the cave (he has a name but I forget).  Anyway, I
>finally thought to throw the can of dehydrated water at him, and the result
>was hilarious (to me anyway, but I always liked Calvin and Hobbes, too).

I agree!  Some games are great in spite of themselves.
Case in point:  I have MANY games for my Amiga, but the clear winner (in terms
of number of times played and multi-player enjoyment) has been Mean-18 -
a crummy EGA port if ever I've seen one.  I will give them credit for
improving the sound effects.

I own SOTB I and II and although I persist in trying to play them, I really
hate the games (it's a real love-hate situation).  Suuuuuurrrrreeeee, they've
got awesome graphics, awesome background music, and a high pricetag, but can
you play them?

Just another opinion against the constant waves of whining about IBM ports.

Ted Grzesik       Massachusetts Language Lab             Hewlett-Packard Company
tedg@apollo.hp.com                          Chelmsford, MA  (508) 256-6600 x5959
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
                                       -- Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)