[comp.sys.amiga.games] Cinemaware demise endangers

dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (05/10/91)

I just got off the phone with my local software dealer, who informed
me that SpeedBall II has been scrapped by Electronic Arts (who took
over Cinemaware's active titles) because the English version was so
messed up.  They may or may not continue working on Speedball II to
bring it to the US market.

Apparently, the mail order versions (if there still are any) are
"grey market" versions, imported from France, with french docs.

I loved SpeedBall, and after all the frothing on the net about how
great SpeedBall II is, I was really looking forward to playing it.
This news was, of course, really really disappointing.

Anyone know if EA is working on Speedball for the US market?

dylan
--
dylan mcnamee             / "I stood there on the sidewalk, Roy Rogers
dylan@cs.washington.edu \/lunchpail in my hand.  Then I heard sweet children's

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.201300.16596@beaver.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>I just got off the phone with my local software dealer, who informed
>me that SpeedBall II has been scrapped by Electronic Arts (who took
>over Cinemaware's active titles) because the English version was so
>messed up.  They may or may not continue working on Speedball II to
>bring it to the US market.

This is interesting.  I got my copy from the local Amiga dealer (who
gets import games, as well).  I guess it was the English version.  The
docs are English, and the game is NTSC.  I don't know what makes it
'messed up', though.  It's run flawlessly for me-- never crashed once,
and the game is fantastic.

>Apparently, the mail order versions (if there still are any) are
>"grey market" versions, imported from France, with french docs.

Hmm.  My docs were in English, as I said.

>I loved SpeedBall, and after all the frothing on the net about how
>great SpeedBall II is, I was really looking forward to playing it.
>This news was, of course, really really disappointing.

Check with your local dealer; they may import, as mine did.

>dylan mcnamee             / "I stood there on the sidewalk, Roy Rogers

Dave Hopper      |     /// Anthro Creep  | Academic Info Resources, Stanford
                 |__  ///     .   .      | Macincrap/UNIX Consultant
bard@jessica.    |\\\///     Ia! Ia!     | -- Just remember: love is life, and
   Stanford.EDU  | \XX/  Shub-Niggurath! | hate is living death. :Black Sabbath

j_parsons@csc32.enet.dec.com (Jack Parsons) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.201300.16596@beaver.cs.washington.edu>, dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes...

>I just got off the phone with my local software dealer, who informed
>me that SpeedBall II has been scrapped by Electronic Arts (who took
>over Cinemaware's active titles) because the English version was so
>messed up.  They may or may not continue working on Speedball II to
>bring it to the US market.

I wonder what's supposed to be wrong with the English version? I suppose
that's what I have, since the docs are in English. I've had the game for a
couple of weeks (got the last copy at a local store), and have never had a
problem loading or playing it (except for the fact that I'm not very good at
it!).

>Apparently, the mail order versions (if there still are any) are
>"grey market" versions, imported from France, with french docs.

As I mentioned above, the copy I got had English docs, not French.

>I loved SpeedBall, and after all the frothing on the net about how
>great SpeedBall II is, I was really looking forward to playing it.
>This news was, of course, really really disappointing.

Speedball II is much different than the first game. I think it's better, too.
You need a really good joystick to be at all proficient in it, though.

>dylan

Jack
j_parsons@csc32.enet.dec.com