[comp.sys.amiga.games] War Games...

coatta@cs.ubc.ca (Terry Coatta) (07/03/90)

I would like to develop a list of war games that are available for the
Amiga (games such as KampfGruppe, and the Universal Military Simulator).
If you are aware of any such programs please send me mail (or post material
to the net if I seem unreachable).  Please include any comments you have about
the game... whether or not the computer will play one side, acceptability
of the graphics, speed, etc.  After a couple of weeks I will construct
a list of all the responses that I get, and I'll either mail it to anyone
who would like it, or post it here.

Thanks,

--
Terry Coatta
Dept. of Computer Science, UBC, Vancouver BC, Canada

axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) (07/25/90)

I would like to make a wargame...and am interested in any ideas anyone might
have...any gripes you had with other games...graphics...etc...

John Bryant
Computing and Technology Services..

Standard disclaimer Applies....
Please respond Via Email.....

rs7f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard K. Shehady) (04/29/91)

	Ok, you war gamers out there.  Any suggestions on which one I should
buy?  I hear Empire is really cool, but that was in a magazine review,
and they usually doesn't help me.  From what I read, it did look good,
but I'd like to hear from anyone that has it first.
	Of course, if anyone has anything better, please tell me.  $40 is a lot
of money for me (poor college student :-).  I also hear Harpoon is
really good, but I'd rather have some land units in there.

-Rick <rs7f+@andrew.cmu.edu>

d88domze@odalix.ida.liu.se (Dominik Zemmler) (05/06/91)

rs7f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard K. Shehady) writes:

>	Ok, you war gamers out there.  Any suggestions on which one I should
>buy?  I hear Empire is really cool, but that was in a magazine review,
>and they usually doesn't help me.  From what I read, it did look good,
>but I'd like to hear from anyone that has it first.
>	Of course, if anyone has anything better, please tell me.  $40 is a lot
>of money for me (poor college student :-).  I also hear Harpoon is
>really good, but I'd rather have some land units in there.

>-Rick <rs7f+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Empire is GREAT, but it takes time. I think I lost several months of
my life just sitting and playing Empire all nights.

--DZ

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May6.132721.5781@ida.liu.se> d88domze@odalix.ida.liu.se (Dominik Zemmler) writes:
>rs7f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard K. Shehady) writes:
>

>>-Rick <rs7f+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>
>Empire is GREAT, but it takes time. I think I lost several months of
>my life just sitting and playing Empire all nights.
>
>--DZ

Does Empire have any graphics in it?  Are we talking about the PD version that
I see on ab20?  Or is this something different?

Thanx (and no Dig 'Em Smacks [read: flames] please)

Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore  --  The Man Your Momma Warned You About.  --
----------Amiga: The One and Only.  All the Rest Can Get the Bozack.-----------
"I ain't never got gaffled like that, I used to do the gaffilin'--
McDonald's was my spot."
"Man, what you used to do??"
"Jack them motherfuckers for them Nissan trucks.  Right in the drive thru."

bpv9073@sjfc.UUCP (Brett VanSprewenburg) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May6.132721.5781@ida.liu.se> d88domze@odalix.ida.liu.se (Dominik Zemmler) writes:
>rs7f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard K. Shehady) writes:
>

>>	Ok, you war gamers out there.  Any suggestions on which one I should
>>buy?  I hear Empire is really cool, but that was in a magazine review,
>>and they usually doesn't help me.  From what I read, it did look good,
>>but I'd like to hear from anyone that has it first.
>>	Of course, if anyone has anything better, please tell me.  $40 is a lot
>>of money for me (poor college student :-).  I also hear Harpoon is
>>really good, but I'd rather have some land units in there.
>
>>-Rick <rs7f+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>
>Empire is GREAT, but it takes time. I think I lost several months of
>my life just sitting and playing Empire all nights.
>
>--DZ

I know what you mean. Ever hear of a game called Galactic Bloodshed? It
only runs under Unix and is in the Empire vein, but different. Considering
that there are multiple planets to conquer, huge battle fleets to muster,
(Death Star type Orbital Assault Platforms are my fav, great for enslaving
other races worlds), enemies to make, alliances to break, destruct to make.
What a lousy rhyme. :-) The point of this little tirade is to say that
I am still wondering what happened to me during that last 4 month game. I mean
here I am today, and the last thing I remember was some where along about
Christmas break. And where did I get all these bruises...are who cut my
hair...what do you mean I no longer have a girlfriend...

It's like an awakening after the game is over. I can still hear the
battle cries: "Time for an Update!", "Oh my God, I missed a movement faze
and lost 400,000 people to a missile attack in Ursharbi."

Blah, Blah, Blah goes the professor.

==Brett

sphaak@vela.acs.oakland.edu (sphaak) (05/12/91)

SECOND FRONT from SSI is absolutely the best computer wargame I have ever seen!
And the interface is so good you would swear it was written originally for the
Amiga; it puts EVERY Electronic Arts IBM-port I have ever seen TO SHAME!

To summarize very quickly: it requires one meg, but there are no cute digitized
pics; there are no neat-o sound effects; it is, simply, a massive and very
detailed game, with the best game "system" I have ever seen, which is both
very easy to learn and flexible; into which a lot of work went, and if you like
wargames (boardgames OR computer games) YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY BUY SECOND FRONT!
It includes June 22, 1941 and June 28, 1942 campaigns as well as shorter
scenarios played in small areas of the map; the battle of Moscow and the Battle
of Stalingrad!
The computer can play eitherr or both sides, or you can have two players.
See my posting of a few days ago, "SECOND FRONT GERMAN ORDER OF BATTLE" for an
idea of how detailed the game is!  Or if you would like me to E-Mail you a very
detailed German Order of Battle for June 22, 1941 (down to the inndividual
batallion and battery) just e-mail me and I will get it right out to you!
-Ross Starkey

d88domze@odalix.ida.liu.se (Dominik Zemmler) (05/13/91)

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) writes:

>Does Empire have any graphics in it?  Are we talking about the PD version that
>I see on ab20?  Or is this something different?

>Thanx (and no Dig 'Em Smacks [read: flames] please)

>Malcolm "The Capital MD" Moore  --  The Man Your Momma Warned You About.  --

I'm talking about the other Empire. Something completely diferent from
the PD version. More like Strategic Conquest on MAC, but better. (In my
opinion anyway - I played both).

--DZ