[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings bug-fix and complaint.

hjalmar@cbmswe.UUCP (Peter Hjalmarsson) (05/13/91)

In article <91133.103849DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:

>     When a game boots itself off of a floppy and then siezes control over the
>entire operating system (including disk accesses, etc.) then it is treading on
>thin ice.  Unless the people making the game plan on re-writing entirely the
>basics of disk access and such, there are going to be problems: my point?...
>
>     As you may recall, I was lamenting that I could not get Lemmings, that way
>nifty funky-cool game from (guess!)  Psygnosis to run on my A3000.  The game
>would load fine, but at the point where it should have asked for the second dis
>k on my one-floppy system, it just died.  The mouse would still move, but the
>screen remained blank.
>
>     After much hair-pulling, I thought to myself: okay... it's possibly lookin
>g for that second disk.  But I don't have another disk dri..... oh.
>
>     Reaching around to the back of my machine, I unplugged the A-max cartridge
>and after that the game ran flawlessly.
>
>     Seeing that *something* was plugged into the disk-drive port, the game jus
>assumed that it was a disk drive.  This kind of copy protection has *got* to go
>when it will cause the game to not run for things that would be trivial on any
>system-booted game.  I see this as the best argument against siezing control of
>the OS.  Wake up, Psygnosis.

What happened to the hard-disk-installable system-friendly version that the
programmers of Lemmings promised us? I havent seen it on sale in Sweden yet
anyway.

Peter Hjalmarsson
{uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmswe!hjalmar

Doug Bischoff <DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/13/91)

[...]

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/