[comp.sys.amiga.games] CARRIER COMMAND Cheat Mode -- Problems...

daguru@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Da Guru) (02/16/91)

I decided to try out the Cheat Mode for Carrier Command, but
although I can get it 'activated,' some stuff doesn't seem to be
working for me.

Specifically:

I can't seem to toggle MANTA invincibility, nor shields.  In
fact, the computer doesn't acknowledge my typing in the 'Grow
old...' line.

I can't seem to get the replace-shield function to work, although
direct destination and refuel seem to work fine.  Might have
something to do with not being able to turn shields on...?

In short, I must be trying the wrong keys for 'toggling'...
Anybody know what I should be typing, and in what order?

-Nick

.sig?  We no need no stinking .sig!

calhoun@ducvax.auburn.edu (02/17/91)

In article <12417@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, daguru@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Da Guru) writes:

> I decided to try out the Cheat Mode for Carrier Command, but
> although I can get it 'activated,' some stuff doesn't seem to be
> working for me.
>
> Specifically:
>
> I can't seem to toggle MANTA invincibility, nor shields.  In
> fact, the computer doesn't acknowledge my typing in the 'Grow
> old...' line.

I've never heard of the 'Grow old...' line.  The only Cheat I know of is
to pause the game and then type 'the best is yet to be+'  (don't include
the single quotes, and the + is the one on the numeric keypad).  After
this your Manta's and (those other ones) become impervious to enemy fire.

You can also hold down 7 (numeric keypad) and time will speed up -- useful
when traveling between islands.  I think 9 will show your current difficulty
level (65535 in cheat), and 6 makes colored blocks cover the screen.

I haven't played the game extensively (obviously since I can't remember
the names of the amph. tanks and aircraft), but the only way I've found to
destroy the enemy carrier is to enter cheat mode, find the carrier, load
one of the aircraft with missiles, and after emptying all the missiles
into the enemy carrier repeatedly fly thru the enemy carrier (thus
inflicting damage).  You can go on and reclaim all the islands, but
there is no spectacular ending (just a congrat's message)   ;(

I'd be interested in hearing about any other cheat modes out there.
Except for the impossibility of the game in normal mode, I think the
game play and graphics are really good (well ok, fast).

	- Omner Calhoun		calhoun@ducvax.auburn.edu
				calhoun@auducvax.bitnet

calhoun@ducvax.auburn.edu (02/17/91)

> pause the game and then type 'the best is yet to be+'

Then again, it might be 'the best is yet to come+'  (my memory banks
aren't working too well today).  Sorry.

	- Omner				calhoun@ducvax.auburn.edu
					calhoun@auducvax.bitnet

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb16.170252.3436@ducvax.auburn.edu> calhoun@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:
>In article <12417@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, daguru@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Da Guru) writes:
>
>I haven't played the game extensively (obviously since I can't remember
>the names of the amph. tanks and aircraft), but the only way I've found to
>destroy the enemy carrier is to enter cheat mode, find the carrier, load
>one of the aircraft with missiles, and after emptying all the missiles
>into the enemy carrier repeatedly fly thru the enemy carrier (thus
>inflicting damage).  You can go on and reclaim all the islands, but
>there is no spectacular ending (just a congrat's message)   ;(
>
>I'd be interested in hearing about any other cheat modes out there.
>Except for the impossibility of the game in normal mode, I think the
>game play and graphics are really good (well ok, fast).
>
>	- Omner Calhoun		calhoun@ducvax.auburn.edu
>				calhoun@auducvax.bitnet
No you can destroy the enemy carrier in normal play by backing towards it
when you are at the same island as the enemy carrier and launching Cruise-
missiles at it. It takes a little practice though. The carrier usually tries
to speed away but 4 SLCMs will do the trick.

Bill

bgi@stiatl.salestech.com (Brad Isley) (05/14/91)

In article <1991Feb16.170252.3436@ducvax.auburn.edu> calhoun@ducvax.auburn.edu writes:

>I haven't played the game extensively (obviously since I can't remember
>the names of the amph. tanks and aircraft), but the only way I've found to
>destroy the enemy carrier is to enter cheat mode, find the carrier, load

Ahh, come on!  The game is really easy to beat!  All you have to do is load up
a jet with missiles and blast the carrier.  It might take more than one jet
to do the job, but it makes the game a bit pointless.  All that work trying to
work up a good strategy and one jet can take out the carrier.  (Been too long -
can't remember if the jet is a manta or something else...)
--
-----------------------------\      / ..and Apple thought GUI was theirs!.. \
 bgi@salestech.com 841-4169    \---| Yer local zymurgist & Amiga hacker/user |