[comp.sys.amiga.games] bane of the cosmic forge

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (01/06/91)

[]
Is this game out yet.  It looks GREAT, and I really loved wizardry
years ago.

any comments on it?  Will it work with the 3000?
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

atul@cadence.com (Atul Srinivasan) (03/01/91)

Thanks to all who replied to my previous question.

This one is silly, but I must have missed something
obvious. How do you open the gates which are all over
the castle ? I have keys, but they never work. I
assume that only certain types of keys will open
the gates, but so far I've tried copper, iron, and
chrome keys, and not a single gate has opened.

Since I can't seem to equip keys, I assume they do not
need to be equipped to work. I've tried using every
character I have, but still no luck. What gives ?

Also when a door is magically jammed, how does one
open it ?

Thx
Atul
atul@cadence.com

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Feb28.164129.2828@cadence.com> atul@cadence.com (Atul Srinivasan) writes:
>Thanks to all who replied to my previous question.
>
>This one is silly, but I must have missed something
>obvious. How do you open the gates which are all over
>the castle ? I have keys, but they never work. I
>assume that only certain types of keys will open
>the gates, but so far I've tried copper, iron, and
>chrome keys, and not a single gate has opened.
>
>Since I can't seem to equip keys, I assume they do not
>need to be equipped to work. I've tried using every
>character I have, but still no luck. What gives ?

You just haven't found the right keys.  When you do find one, you will
probably know it (they tend to have names that give a clue to where they
are used, such as "Key of Spades", "Jailer Key", "Dungeon Key", etc.).

To use one, you just say "Use" from the main menu, when standing in front of
the gate, and then select the key.

Supposedly the copper & iron keys will open some of the "normal" doors in
the dungeon, but I preferred to pick those, to hone my character's skills,
so I never tried this.  The chrome keys are apparently good for something,
but I don't know what.

An important clue: In general, if an object is important, the game won't
let you drop it.  You will notice that you can drop the iron & copper
keys, but not the chrome keys.

>Also when a door is magically jammed, how does one
>open it ?

Supposedly, once a door is jammed, only a knock-knock spell will open it.
Some doors are jammed because they can only be opened with specific means,
such as a specific key, so both picking and knock-knock will say "jammed".

If I was trying to pick a lock and it got jammed, I just quit and
restored the game and tried again until I got it open.  I do that a
lot...  ;-)

	Nancy

Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
uunet!tegra!nad       | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts

bhv@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Bronis Vidugiris) (03/02/91)

)
)This one is silly, but I must have missed something
)obvious. How do you open the gates which are all over
)the castle?

Specific keys open specific gates.  There are a very few gates
in the game that open with means other than keys, (a special
item, or a concealed button), but most of them open with
a specific key.

One of the earliest keys is the key of Raam, which you can
find in:  (spoiler warning)

The area right after the 'service gate'

The copper, iron, and chrome keys all open rooms, as I recall -

csj015@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (03/04/91)

I have figured out the iron key can be used to open the doors in the lower
level of castle, the copper key for the first level, and the chrome keys are
used to open the door of the King's and the Queen's bedroom. The gold key is
used to open a gate in the lowest level of castle (there is a huge serpent
inside). The key of spade open the door of the room in which a zombie still
lives. Then I am stuck. I have several places in the castle which I can't get
to, and I can't figure out how to get out of the castle. Here are my questions:
1. Who is breathing heavily behind the door in one of the tower? How do I get
  in?
2. Can we kill the huge serpent? I blast him with several energy blast at power
  5 but my party just got slaughtered anyway.
3. What lies beyond the bellfry? How do I get across?
4. There are 2 keys of spade. I have used one (to fight the zombie). What is
  the use of the other key of spade?
5. Where is Captain's Buried Treasure? Is it outside the castle? Do I have to
  retrieve the treasure before I can enter captain's den?
6. What do the mystery oil and rutabega do?
7. In general, how do I open most of the gates in castle? There are more than
  a dozen of gates I can't open. Is there a specific key for each gates? Is it
  possible to open all the gates? Most important of all, how do I leave the
  castle?
8. I have found several quest items I can't find a use in the castle, i.e.
  deadman's log, wine bottle etc. Are they only useful once I leave the castle?

That's it for now. I have been playing this game for 1 week and it gets boring
at this point. The monsters are easy (except the huge serpent) and I can't
leave the castle. I don't mind spoilers. Thanks in advance.

781103@sheoak.bcae (leonard hammill) (05/08/91)

I am stuck!!

I've gotten throught the skull door, got the water wings, found the drow
key on the isle of the dead.
  Where is the portal/door for this key?

Found the east exit key, left the castle, got the catapiller his pipe,
he then gave me three red mushrooms what do I do next?

Found some small foot-prints leading into some bushes near where the
catapiller is, does it have something to do with the mushrooms, if so
what?

Wyvern@cup.portal.com (Jeanne Wyvern Harlan-Marriott) (05/09/91)

Hi Leonard!!
   You need to search the walls in the area on the Isle of the Dead
where you found the Drow Key more carefully. There are secret passages
to both the north and south. Take the southern route first to locate,
not too far away, a fountain that restores hits, stamina, magic and
cures a number of afflictions. There are 4 major battles to be fought
in that area for which you will get some great equipment. There is
actually a 5th encounter, but you will not actually kill that monster
at this time. All of this will give you clues to what you can do next.
If you need more help, just write!                  Wyv

jcc5_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jackson Cheng) (05/10/91)

Help!!!  Possible spoilers...

I am stuck right now...  I am at the pyramid and I don't have the means to
open the gate at the top, the one with the oddly familiar face of a strange
beast.  Does any know where I can get a key for it?

A couple of more things...I got the bone key and went down below the pyramid and was able to open a gate at the bottom.  I went down to a long corridor with
lots of traps and buttons.  I've pressed them all.  And I went to the square
room at the end.  I pressed another button there, which revealed a secret room
in the same room.  I went there and found another button which I eagerly pressed. I proceeded to head back to see what this button had done.  It revealed a
small corridor which branched off of the long corridor.  It ended with a button.  Once again, I pressed the button.  Couldn't find anything else that happened.
Now, what was the purpose of the button?

Just a few more...how do I lower the drawbridge???  And I AM an engineer, and
believe me, most of us aren't that proficient with vocabulary.

Last thing...I killed the Rock Guardian at the top of the Giant Mt. and got a
ruby eye from him.  Is this one of the gems to open the Skull Door?

Well, that's all.  Thanks for the patience.  Any help is very much appreciated.

Jaxon.

elaine@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Elaine May) (05/14/91)

>    Help!!!  Possible spoilers...

>    A couple of more things...I got the bone key and went down below the
> pyramid and was able to open a gate at the bottom.  I went down to a long
> corridor with lots of traps and buttons.  I've pressed them all.  And I
> went to the square room at the end.  I pressed another button there,
> which revealed a secret room in the same room.  I went there and found
> another button which I eagerly pressed. I proceeded to head back to see
> what this button had done.  It revealed a small corridor which branched
> off of the long corridor.  It ended with a button.  Once again, I
> pressed the button.  Couldn't find anything else that happened.
>    Now, what was the purpose of the button?
Oh boy, you did just what I did.  I hope you've been making "backup saves",
cause you didn't want to push that button.  You need to fall down the pit
without pushing those buttons in the square room.  You're going to need to
do that to proceed.  [I could be wrong about having to go back to a "backup
save, but I couldn't find any way to make the pit open back up and I know
for sure that the thing that will open the gate you asked about earlier
is down that pit].

>    I killed the Rock Guardian at the top of the Giant Mt. and
> got a ruby eye from him.  Is this one of the gems to open the Skull Door?
Yep.

>    Just a few more...how do I lower the drawbridge???  And I AM an
> engineer, and believe me, most of us aren't that proficient with vocabulary.
Here's some hints & the whole solution:

Here is the solution for the drawbridge.  First are some hints, then some more
blatent hints, then the complete spoiler.

Knowing what the words mean is helpful.
   inchoate -- almost ready to happen
   nascency -- activation
   interdigitation -- interlock
   ascension -- rising
   extrinsic -- outside of
   immurement -- enclosing/activation

The safety switch must be pressed twice -- once at the beginning.

The correct sequence is:
   safety switch
   translux pump
   auto coilwrap
   truss drivers
   safety switch
   spring winder
I waited 5 seconds between the pump and the coilwrap, but I don't know if
that's necessary or not.