[comp.sys.amiga.games] armour-geddon

jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu (MacGyver) (01/07/91)

     While I was tooling around my local amiga shop I noticed a new
psygnosis game armour-geddon.  Has anyone played this?  I kinda like
simulators and this looks like a nice multi-veceicle simulator.
     Now if there was only an x-tank port!

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
<UseNet:jrichard@hawk.ulowell.edu| meteor viens stream across the night>
>Plan:                           | ...the spark still flies            <
<MacGyver-ize programs 'til they | reflected in another pair of eyes." >
>work (pass the duct tape please)|                                     <
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/09/91)

[]
Well, it came today, and I have been playing it.
Good news is that it runs fine on the A3000 under any KS version.
It is not HD Installable.

Graphics are mediocre.  Story is interesting, but poorly written,
documentation stinks big time, many aspects are not clearly
mentioned or even mentioned at all, (what is an emergency beacon for?)

Playability is very very low.

All in all this thing suffers A LOT from then designed for 512k A500
syndrome.  Stellar 7 is a MUCH better game, I bought that a couple
of weeks ago and it is much more enjoyable.

Sound effects on Armour-Geddon are poor as well.
This one looked good in the magazine ad, but is really poorly documents,
(documented) and has very low playability.  I can kill quite a few of the
enemy ships/stations, but still cannot even complete my first mission.

Stellar-7 is a similar style game, is HD installable, also runs on the
A3000 under 2.0, and has GREAT sound effects and very good graphics.

I cannot recommend Armour-Geddon, despite the ads.
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

beust@taloa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.081603.2955@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>[]
>Well, it came today, and I have been playing it.
>This one looked good in the magazine ad, but is really poorly documents,
>(documented) and has very low playability.  I can kill quite a few of the
>enemy ships/stations, but still cannot even complete my first mission.

  Well, although I was very impressed at first sight, I must agree
with you: Armor Geddon is quite hard to play. Like you, I haven't been
able to complete my first mission yet. I think I located the building but
how the hell can I retrieve that god*** detonator??? And with which
vehicle? Light tanks run out of fuel, choppers can't even reach it and
fighters go much faster to see anything around.

  Maybe I lack practise but I've been on it for a week now...

>Stellar-7 is a similar style game, is HD installable, also runs on the
>A3000 under 2.0, and has GREAT sound effects and very good graphics.

  Mmmhh... I'm not that enthusiastic about Stellar 7, however... I
played a lot on my old Apple ][ and was very disappointed by the Amiga
version.

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@taloa.unice.fr                       $whoami               |
| UUCP: llaor.unice.fr!arkonis!beust               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (05/13/91)

In article <102@taloa.unice.fr> beust@taloa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) writes:

>  Well, although I was very impressed at first sight, I must agree
>with you: Armor Geddon is quite hard to play. Like you, I haven't been
>able to complete my first mission yet. I think I located the building but
>how the hell can I retrieve that god*** detonator??? And with which
>vehicle?

Perhaps the problem is not really the game, but rather with you? The manual
tells you quite clearly which craft to use to retrieve the detonator. However,
the game is not copy-protected. So perhaps you manage without having the manual
at all? The vehicle(s) which can grab neutron bomb segments are mentioned at
the bottom of page 23.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

gfm@mole.gnu.ai.mit.edu (George) (05/13/91)

In article <2777@public.BTR.COM> valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <102@taloa.unice.fr> beust@taloa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) writes:
>>
>>  Well, although I was very impressed at first sight, I must agree
>>with you: Armor Geddon is quite hard to play. Like you, I haven't been
>>able to complete my first mission yet. I think I located the building but
>>how the hell can I retrieve that god*** detonator??? And with which
>>vehicle?
>
>Perhaps the problem is not really the game, but rather with you? The manual
>tells you quite clearly which craft to use to retrieve the detonator. However,
>the game is not copy-protected. So perhaps you manage without having the manual
>at all? The vehicle(s) which can grab neutron bomb segments are mentioned at
>the bottom of page 23.
>
>Valentin
>--
>"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
> is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700
>                                                 Usenet:    mips!btr!valentin
>                     - Ancient Inca Proverb      Internet:  valentin@btr.com

1) Did you ever notice how quick other people are on this newsgroup to label
   other people as pirates, when they have no real proof of it?
   I am not the person this was directed at, but maybe instead of infering
   that he was a pirate, you just point out that it's in the manual, alot of
   people that BUY games dont read the manuals unless they have to...And maybe
   since it gives you a choice of vehicles, and doesnt give you one for the
specific mission, he assumed you had to figure this out for yourself...

2) You say this game is non-copy-protected, I do not have it so I cannot be
   sure, but I find it real hard to swallow that Psygnosis released a non-
   copy protected game
   They are one of the worst for disk protectipon (gronk gronk gronk)

--
  /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\
 |Yet another Commodore-  //|      /        | Email to: gfm@gnu.ai.mit.edu |

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/13/91)

[]
Well I now have the Neutron Bomb, but cannot find the laser canon.
I have dropped the Neutron Bomb on everything that looks remotely
promising, but no luck.

Does anyone know where the laser canon is so I can finish this stupid
game.

It is hard at first, but getting all 5 pieces is pretty much
a piece of cake once you get the hang of it.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/13/91)

[]
Well I finally finished the stupid thing.  It is not too tricky,
turns out the laser canon keep is very obvious, but you must hit a certain
structure on it RIGHT ON or it will not blow up.

All in all a cheesy, dissapointing ending graphic.  The game itself
is a real mixed bag, in some ways I like it a lot, in many ways it stinks.

Oh well, off to the next game I guess.

hounsell@nmerh4.BNR.CA (Rob Hounsell) (05/14/91)

In article <102@taloa.unice.fr>, beust@taloa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) writes:
|>   Well, although I was very impressed at first sight, I must agree
|> with you: Armor Geddon is quite hard to play. Like you, I haven't been
|> able to complete my first mission yet. I think I located the building but
|> how the hell can I retrieve that god*** detonator??? And with which
|> vehicle? Light tanks run out of fuel, choppers can't even reach it and
|> fighters go much faster to see anything around.

  I agree! It has nice graphics, but even in training mode I still haven't
finished the first mission. HOWEVER, I can help you regarding the first bomb
part. It seems to be located inside a large structure shaped like a tuning fork
stuck in the ground. What I did was to send a hovercraft out on a suicide
mission (they're all suicide missions...) with a stack of missles and shot 3 or
4 at the structure. It will eventually blow up, leaving the detonator (I
think. At least it left something that looked like a detonator...) but it
disappeared when I brought a heavy tank in to retrieve it. I would have liked
to use the teleport pod I dropped near the site to transport my hovercraft, but
have you ever tried to manuever a hovercraft directly underneath one???

  I wish it was a tad easier! The droptanks of fuel don't last very long at
all! I flew over to the "shooting range" to the west of the base mentioned in
the book, but although the targets there didn't shoot back, everything else
did! Not much use at all.

  Has anyone managed to successfully land a bomber or fighter???

Rob
| Rob Hounsell                           UUNET:  ...!chekov!hounsell          |
| NT Product Support Technology          BNR WAN:  hounsell@nmerh53           |
|                                        PHONE: (613) 765-2904                |
|                                        ESN: 395-2904                        |

hounsell@nmerh4.BNR.CA (Rob Hounsell) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.155604.20282@crash.cts.com>, uzun@pnet01.cts.com
(Roger Uzun) writes:
|> []
|> Well I finally finished the stupid thing.  It is not too tricky,
|> turns out the laser canon keep is very obvious, but you must hit a certain
|> structure on it RIGHT ON or it will not blow up.

  So, how about some sage hints for the rest of us who can't get past the first
mission??  8-)

(thanks)

beust@taloa.unice.fr (Cedric Beust) (05/15/91)

In article <4509@bnr-rsc.UUCP>, hounsell@nmerh4.BNR.CA (Rob Hounsell) writes:
: think. At least it left something that looked like a detonator...) but it
: disappeared when I brought a heavy tank in to retrieve it. I would have liked
: to use the teleport pod I dropped near the site to transport my hovercraft, but
: have you ever tried to manuever a hovercraft directly underneath one???

  :-) Yes, but it is too fast to brake in time. I could teleport a heavy
tank, though, thinking to myself "now I'm far away, they're gonna give me
a break and I can search safely"... How I was mistaken. Just a few seconds
after I reappeared, I was welcomed by missiles and bombs. Looks like the
enemy watches carefully the telepod beacons...

:   Has anyone managed to successfully land a bomber or fighter???

  Nope. I landed a chopper, once, but it was accidental :-) Couldn't
reproduce the event on my home ground.

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@taloa.unice.fr                       $whoami               |
| UUCP: llaor.unice.fr!arkonis!beust               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/15/91)

[]
Shortly after I posted that it was hard, I finished it.  Once you
get the hang of it, it is not difficult at all.  No need to challenge
their forces just drop 3 teleporters in strategic locations and get
all 5 pieces with tanks.  Once the bomb is built fly a bomber into
the cannons territory and hit its power line square on, you win.

To find exactly where all 5 pieces are, just load in their mission game
four and look on the intel screen for the pieces.  The saved games
they gave you are lame though, you cannot win from them because they
have wasted resources on putting teleporters in stupid places.  But
the saved missions provide a lot of intelligence data.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

harpman@bobcat.ent.ohiou.edu (Clint Harpman 298-60-5177 BUSS) (05/21/91)

Could someone please tell me where I can find the armour-geddon demo?

		Thanx,

				Clint
	        	harpman@bobcat.ent.ohiou.edu
		      Amiga--The ONLY one True Computer.