[comp.sys.amiga.games] SimEarth for the Amiga

morgan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Crunchy Frog) (05/15/91)

I don't know if you have already discussed this in this newsgroup (I
don't read this one) but if not...

You have undoubtedly seem SimEarth on I*M's and M*cs and yearned for a
version for the Amiga.  Well, a friend of mine who works for Maxis gave
me permission to let the world know that SimEarth IS coming out for the
Amiga (there were some doubts in-house initially).  As to when, I have
been told that it will be later this year (figure before Christmas tho').

Incidently (#define SOAPBOX), the reason why they didn't want to do it
originally was that they hadn't sold many copies of SimCity for the Amiga
and didn't think it was worth it.  The reason why they hadn't sold many is,
of course, piracy.  Think about it folks. (#undefine SOAPBOX)

Disclaimer: I don't work for Maxis or receive any benefits from them.  The
words above are mine, not Maxis, although I believe them to be accurate.
No one is bound by the above statement (either Maxis or me!).  What I typed
is not necessarily endorsed by the University of California, the State of
Californias, Bell Labs, President Bush, Cardinal Ximenes, and most of the
New York phone directory.  If pressed, I didn't say it, read it, think it,
or even understand it.  Thhhhpt.

Datclaimer: What he said.

Alan Morgan

colas@celeste.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (05/15/91)

In article <13616@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, morgan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Crunchy Frog)
writes:
> SimEarth IS coming out for the Amiga
> The reason why they hadn't sold many is,
> of course, piracy.  Think about it folks.

It would be VERY interesting to know why they changed their mind:
- amiga market growing
- PC & Mac piracy growing even more important than amiga one (true fact)
- they didn't thought anymore that piracy killed simcity on amiga?
  (look at the sales figure of populous now: still selling!)
- other (atari, C64) markets dying, so amiga remains alone with PC & Mac?
- attracted by the CDTV market?

Seems that microprose too decided to port to amiga, after some in-house
doubts... is that true too?

Could you make you friend share some light on the subject?

Colas.

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Heffernan) (05/16/91)

In article <13616@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> morgan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Crunchy Frog) writes:
|Incidently (#define SOAPBOX), the reason why they didn't want to do it
|originally was that they hadn't sold many copies of SimCity for the Amiga
|and didn't think it was worth it.  The reason why they hadn't sold many is,
|of course, piracy.  Think about it folks. (#undefine SOAPBOX)

	I hate piracy as much as the next man, but it's not the Destroyer
of Worlds.  SimCity probably didn't sell well because it's not an action game,
you can't blow up anything except your own stuff, and to be quite honest, it
grows boring very quickly.  The fact that initial versions required a full meg
probably didn't help, if the marketing data that's been posted here in the past
is correct.

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"I don't understand why you make such a big deal out of everything...haven't
you learned; if it's not happenning to me it's not important?" -Murphy Brown

cryanrm@cc.curtin.edu.au (05/17/91)

In article <13616@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, morgan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Crunchy Frog) writes:
> Incidently (#define SOAPBOX), the reason why they didn't want to do it
> originally was that they hadn't sold many copies of SimCity for the Amiga
> and didn't think it was worth it.  The reason why they hadn't sold many is,
> of course, piracy.  Think about it folks. (#undefine SOAPBOX)

A likely reason for lack of sales in Australia would be the price!!

I Don't have Sim City simply because of this.  Damned if I'll pay $A89 for
a GAME.  If Sim City was priced at a reasonable level over here, I WOULD
have bought it (I have seen it running on someone else's machine).  Most
other companies are able to keep games software to an acceptable level above
the US price, why is Sim City approx triple?  Greed, thats why.

Tell your friends at Maxis that, Allan.
Simply put, if it was cheaper, I'd have bought it.

> Alan Morgan

Bob.

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (05/17/91)

morgan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Crunchy Frog) writes:

>Incidently (#define SOAPBOX), the reason why they didn't want to do it
>originally was that they hadn't sold many copies of SimCity for the Amiga
>and didn't think it was worth it.  The reason why they hadn't sold many is,
>of course, piracy.  Think about it folks. (#undefine SOAPBOX)

Oh, bull.  How do they know that?  I think the reason they didn't sell that
many Amiga SimCities was because 1) they didn't advertise it very well,
2) they didn't distribute it all that well at first, and 3) it wasn't a
particularly good port - and in the beginning, at least, it was NOT HD
installable, AND required 1M.
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

merlin@presto.UUCP (Jeff W. Hyche) (05/22/91)

In article <24830@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>morgan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Crunchy Frog) writes:
>
>>Incidently (#define SOAPBOX), the reason why they didn't want to do it
>>originally was that they hadn't sold many copies of SimCity for the Amiga
>>and didn't think it was worth it.  The reason why they hadn't sold many is,
>>of course, piracy.  Think about it folks. (#undefine SOAPBOX)
>
>Oh, bull.  How do they know that?  I think the reason they didn't sell that
>many Amiga SimCities was because 1) they didn't advertise it very well,
>2) they didn't distribute it all that well at first, and 3) it wasn't a
>particularly good port - and in the beginning, at least, it was NOT HD
>installable, AND required 1M.
>--
>Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

	But it is still one of the best games on the Amiga.

--
                                // Jeff Hyche
  There can be only one!    \\ //  Usenet: hychejw@infonode.ingr.com