[net.railroad] McCloud River RR Excursion

msm@sri-unix (08/30/82)

>From menlo70!ucbvax!menlo70!sytek!msm  Tue Aug 24 02:26:22 1982
Date: 20-Aug-82 12:15:27-PDT (Fri)
From: ucbvax!menlo70!sytek!msm
Subject: McCloud River RR Steam Excursion
To: menlo70!ucbvax!C70:railroad@Berkeley

I have just received  the  following  information regarding an excursion on the
McCloud River Railroad during the Labor Day Weekend:

                          Great Western Tours Presents
                              THE RETURN OF NO. 25
                           A McCloud Steam Excursion
                            September 4 and 5, 1982

You are invited to join us for a  very  special  weekend on California's scenic
McCloud River Railroad.  Number  25,  the  line's  last  steam  locomotive, was
recently  returned to  service  after  years  of  storage.   To  celebrate  the
occasion, we've arranged for a two  day  trip  on  the railroad that we're sure
you'll enjoy.

At  9:00  A.M.  on  Saturday, September  4th,  one  of  the  railroad's  diesel
locomotives  and  our  train of Sierra Western "Big Window" coaches will depart
Mount Shasta City for the sixteen mile run to  the  town  of  McCloud. Majestic
Mount  Shasta  serves  as  a backdrop on this portion of the line and our train
will negotiate one  switchback  --  a  true  rairity  in  this day and age.  At
McCloud Number 25 will relieve  her  diesel  sister  and  take  us on a 60 mile
roundtrip to Hambone. When we  return  to  McCloud,  the  diesel will take over
again and have us back in Mount Shasta City about 6:00 P.M.

On Sunday, September 5th,  the train will originate in McCloud at 9:00 A.M. and
Number 25 will take us on a 120 mile  roundtrip  to  the lumber town of Burney.
The Burney line was completed in 1955  and  the  highlight  of  the line is the
bridge across Lake Britton. We should be back in McCloud about 5:00 P.M.

Photostops are planned both days and  a box lunch is included.  The capacity of
the train is limited to  150  each  day.   There  are many fine motels in Mount
Shasta City, but since this is a holiday weekend, it's advisable  to call ahead
for reservations.

                              GREAT WESTERN TOURS
    Sheraton-Place Hotel  *  San Francisco, CA 94105, USA  *  (415) 398-2994

Tickets cost $65.00 for either the Saturday or Sunday trips.  A ticket for both
days is $99.00.

I have  placed  this notice here as an announcement only.  I have no connection
with the operators of this trip (though I may be a passenger).

Michael S. Maiten
Silicon Gulch, CA
<msm@mit-mc> (arpa)
<...!ucbvax!menlo70!sytek!msm> (usenet)