[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings on an A3000?

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (05/11/91)

     Okay, I'm sitting here with this way-cool nifty-neato wowie game lemmings
in my A3000, and just watched the funky intro sequence.  Neat!
     Great... now it's sitting here with this lemming hand pointer and a blank
screen.  The machine isn't locked because I can still move the pointer.  But
that's all!  Nothing else works.  Nothing.
     I've got an A3000/25 with 8 and 2 megs memory, 1 floppy drive and a hard
drive.  Is there something I have to do to run this game?  Thanks!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

martin@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Daniel Martin) (05/12/91)

In article <91130.135851DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:
>     I've got an A3000/25 with 8 and 2 megs memory, 1 floppy drive and a hard
>drive.  Is there something I have to do to run this game?  Thanks!

   Try clicking the mouse in the intro sequence.  My hardware setup is
similar to yours (A3000/25 with 8 and 2 megs memory)

   Since I have two drives, I just put both disk in, and the games works
perfectly (in 2.0).  I tried it with one drive, and it ask you to put the
second disk in.

   If this doesn't work, try the game on one of the machines at your dealer;
some disk can be damaged due to the added protection.

--
    // Daniel Martin                            Universite de Montreal   \\
   //  MediaLab, ca vous regarde!               C.P. 6128, Succursale A,  \\

paulm@cbnewsj.att.com (paul.j.maioriello) (05/14/91)

In article <91130.135851DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu>, DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:

>      Okay, I'm sitting here with this way-cool nifty-neato wowie game lemmings
> in my A3000, and just watched the funky intro sequence.  Neat!
>      Great... now it's sitting here with this lemming hand pointer and a blank
> screen.  The machine isn't locked because I can still move the pointer.  But
> that's all!  Nothing else works.  Nothing.
>      I've got an A3000/25 with 8 and 2 megs memory, 1 floppy drive and a hard
> drive.  Is there something I have to do to run this game?  Thanks!
>
> /---------------------------------------------------------------------\
> | -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
> | -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
> | -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
> | --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
> | Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
> \---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

I had exactly the same problem.  I even took the disks back to the store.
They worked great in his 3000.  I got a new copy anyway.  Took the
new copy home, booted up .... GUESS WHAT?? ... same problem.
Why does it work in the store's machine and not mine?  Well I have this
5 1/4 inch drive TURNED OFF that the store didn't have.  Gee maybe
I'll turn the drive on and try again.  Result, Lemmings now runs fine
(GREAT GAME ... My son now pretends he is a blocker).  Apparantly
something in the copy protection doesn't like 5 1/4 inch turned off
drives.  If you have one of these and Lemmings isi't working, make
sure the drive is on.

Hope this helps!!

Paul Maioriello
lzatt!pjm

chuckh@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Chuck Hacala) (05/14/91)

>     Okay, I'm sitting here with this way-cool nifty-neato wowie game lemmings
>in my A3000, and just watched the funky intro sequence.  Neat!
> Great... now it's sitting here with this lemming hand pointer and a blank
>screen.  The machine isn't locked because I can still move the pointer.  But
>that's all!  Nothing else works.  Nothing.
>     I've got an A3000/25 with 8 and 2 megs memory, 1 floppy drive and a hard
>drive.  Is there something I have to do to run this game?  Thanks!

Do you have AMax?  If so, unplug it before running Lemmings.  I have an A3000
an found that Lemmings would not run if AMax was plugged in.

Good Luck!

Chuck >:-{)

markb@tplrd.tpl.oz.au (Mark Bower) (05/20/91)

In article <58980002@hpindwa.cup.hp.com> chuckh@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Chuck Hacala) writes:
>> Great... now it's sitting here with this lemming hand pointer and a blank
>>screen.  The machine isn't locked because I can still move the pointer.  But
>>that's all!  Nothing else works.  Nothing.

[stuff deleted]

>an found that Lemmings would not run if AMax was plugged in.

I had the same lock-up problem with my A2000 - I had a non-commodore 3 1/2"
drive connected (a 1.44 MB chinon modified for the 2000). Each time it was
supposed to ask me for the 2nd disk, it would access DF1: (the 1.44 M drive)
and just die - with the 1.44 M drive light still on. Removing the 1.44 M drive
(unplugging data and power leads) solved the problem. - A real pain in the ***
though.

Cheers,

Mark.
                                                            | /\
------------------------------------------------------------|/  \  /-----------
Mark F. Bower.  (markb@tplrd.tpl.oz.au)  |  -Music is Life-      \/ -808 State-
Telectronics Pacing Systems R & D        |    Ex PC user, now Amiga User :-)
7 Sirius Rd, Lane Cove 2066,             |-------------------------------------
Australia | Phone (Voice) <aust> 413 6913|   Disclaimer: All opinions my own

specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) (05/21/91)

markb@tplrd.tpl.oz.au (Mark Bower) writes:

>In article <58980002@hpindwa.cup.hp.com> chuckh@hpindwa.cup.hp.com (Chuck Hacala) writes:
>>> Great... now it's sitting here with this lemming hand pointer and a blank
>>>screen.  The machine isn't locked because I can still move the pointer.  But
>>>that's all!  Nothing else works.  Nothing.

>[stuff deleted]

>>an found that Lemmings would not run if AMax was plugged in.
>>

>I had the same lock-up problem with my A2000 - I had a non-commodore 3 1/2"
>drive connected (a 1.44 MB chinon modified for the 2000). Each time it was
>supposed to ask me for the 2nd disk, it would access DF1: (the 1.44 M drive)
>and just die - with the 1.44 M drive light still on. Removing the 1.44 M drive
>(unplugging data and power leads) solved the problem. - A real pain in the ***
>though.

>Cheers,

>Mark.
>                                                            | /\
>------------------------------------------------------------|/  \  /-----------
>Mark F. Bower.  (markb@tplrd.tpl.oz.au)  |  -Music is Life-      \/ -808 State-
>Telectronics Pacing Systems R & D        |    Ex PC user, now Amiga User :-)
>7 Sirius Rd, Lane Cove 2066,             |-------------------------------------
>Australia | Phone (Voice) <aust> 413 6913|   Disclaimer: All opinions my own

IF I boot lemmings up with my hard drive turned on, it will star turning and it
doesn't stop. just thought that might be of some relevance. ITs a CLTD controler

Byron

--
Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                       |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                       |      ///  //  \\

In article <1991May13.210811.20649@cbnewsj.att.com> paulm@cbnewsj.att.com (paul.j.maioriello) writes:
>I had exactly the same problem.  I even took the disks back to the store.
>They worked great in his 3000.  I got a new copy anyway.  Took the
>new copy home, booted up .... GUESS WHAT?? ... same problem.
>Why does it work in the store's machine and not mine?  Well I have this
>5 1/4 inch drive TURNED OFF that the store didn't have.

>something in the copy protection doesn't like 5 1/4 inch turned off
>drives.  If you have one of these and Lemmings isi't working, make
>sure the drive is on.

	No, actually what happens is the 5.25" drive pulls the lines down
and makes it look like there are 4 drives attached.  This eats 16+K chip ram
per drive, which can be enough to stop a game from running properly.  The
other possibility is their disk code is confused by drives that are shown
as existing but don't respond (since they don't exist).

	I first saw this with a golf program (Mean 18?) back in 1986, I
think, at a local dealer.

	Always leave your 5.25 (or any other) external drives on when using
the machine.

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.