[comp.sys.amiga.games] Falcon - anyone gotten it to work yet on a 3000?

sanders@chopin.udel.edu (Robert M Sanders) (05/21/91)

Hey gang!
   I'm loving life here on my new (2 weeks old) 3000 25/50, and was trying to
get Falcon up and running.  I've still got my 2000 and was dreaming of playing
head to head with the guys on my floor during exam week.  Now the problem.
I can't get Falcon to run.  I've got Falcon 1.1 and as of right now, this
is the sequence of events....
   1) boot system (either 1.3 or 2.0)
   2) insert Falcon1.1 disk
   3) double click falcon icon
   4) title screen comes on, music plays
   5) click mouse button
   6) presto.... instant black screen, no further activity changes the screen
      except ctrl-amiga-amiga.

Any ideas?  I'm gonna keep playing with stuff and see how far I get, but if
anyone has any hints/suggestions/commiserations(I think I spelled it right)
drop me a line......

							Rob

sanders@chopin.udel.edu
sanders@brahms.udel.edu
sanders@freezer.udel.edu

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) (05/24/91)

sanders@chopin.udel.edu (Robert M Sanders) writes:

>   I'm loving life here on my new (2 weeks old) 3000 25/50, and was trying to
>get Falcon up and running.  I've still got my 2000 and was dreaming of playing
>head to head with the guys on my floor during exam week.  Now the problem.
>I can't get Falcon to run.  I've got Falcon 1.1 and as of right now, this
>is the sequence of events....

[...Details of sequence deleted...]

Well, I just called Spectrum Holobyte, and I was informed by their
tech support that Falcon WILL run on an A3000, but not under WB2.0.
Currently, the game will only work under 1.3.  In order to do this,
however, you need to have version 1.2 of the Falcon game.

When I asked if they are going to port to WB2.0, they replied "Well,
there are so few A3000 owners out there, and even less 2.0 owners.  Why
would anyone want a 2.0 version?".

Yet another vendor not interested in supporting 2.0, until 99% of
the owners already have the software in ROM...

--
dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks)
Copper Electronics, Inc.

seebs@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (The Laughing Prophet) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.205315.9826@coplex.uucp> dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:
>When I asked if they are going to port to WB2.0, they replied "Well,
>there are so few A3000 owners out there, and even less 2.0 owners.  Why
>would anyone want a 2.0 version?".

???????????????????????????
Every a3000 I've ever seen (except for 3kUX, which is different) has
2.0 - so how are there fewer of them?

>dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks)
>Copper Electronics, Inc.
>Louisville, Kentucky

--SeebS--
--
Peter Seebach - The Laughing Prophet     |     |        Anonymous Posting Here!
I don't speak for St. Olaf, St. Olaf     |     |           seebs@acc.stolaf.edu

ridout@uservx.afwl.af.mil (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.205315.9826@coplex.uucp>, dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) writes:
> sanders@chopin.udel.edu (Robert M Sanders) writes:
>
>>   I'm loving life here on my new (2 weeks old) 3000 25/50, and was trying to
>>get Falcon up and running.  I've still got my 2000 and was dreaming of playing
>>head to head with the guys on my floor during exam week.  Now the problem.
>>I can't get Falcon to run.  I've got Falcon 1.1 and as of right now, this
>>is the sequence of events....
>
> [...Details of sequence deleted...]
>
> Well, I just called Spectrum Holobyte, and I was informed by their
> tech support that Falcon WILL run on an A3000, but not under WB2.0.
> Currently, the game will only work under 1.3.  In order to do this,
> however, you need to have version 1.2 of the Falcon game.

How do I get Version 1.2 then?  I think I have 1.1 now.
And are the two mission disks ok then?

Thanks
--
|  Brian Ridout                  What's the difference between a CAR       |
|  PL/SCSS                       salesman and a COMPUTER salesman?         |

sanders@chopin.udel.edu (Robert M Sanders) (05/24/91)

Hey y'all,
   I've gotten some GOOD news since I posted this plea earlier.  I also
called Spectrum Holobyte and was told the following:

	1) version 1.2 does run on the 3000
	2) version 1.1 *should*
	3) there is a but in operation: firefight, free upgrade offered
	   just send in the disk and SH will ship you the new on free
	4) upgrades to version 1.2 from 1.1 cost only the original disk
           #1 of v 1.1 and 5 dollars
	5) mention of an upgrade for operation counterstrike as well

   Since I called SH, I received mail from Dean Brooks (dean@coplex.uucp)
which got Falcon 1.1 to run on my Ami (3000 25/50 6 megs ram and 2.03)
under workbench 1.3.  As follows:

1.  Installing Falcon onto the hard drive (optional, I guess)
2.  Turn off the memory caching.  (i.e. "cpu nocache" from the CLI)

   I wanted to thank all the people who responded to my question, and
ESPECIALLY Dean for helping me to take to the skies again.....

						Rob

sanders@chopin.udel.edu
sanders@brahms.udel.edu
sanders@freezer.udel.edu

In article <17187@chopin.udel.edu> sanders@chopin.udel.edu (Robert M Sanders) writes:

>   I've gotten some GOOD news since I posted this plea earlier.  I also
>called Spectrum Holobyte and was told the following:
>
>	1) version 1.2 does run on the 3000
>	2) version 1.1 *should*

>   Since I called SH, I received mail from Dean Brooks (dean@coplex.uucp)
>which got Falcon 1.1 to run on my Ami (3000 25/50 6 megs ram and 2.03)
>under workbench 1.3.  As follows:
>
>1.  Installing Falcon onto the hard drive (optional, I guess)
>2.  Turn off the memory caching.  (i.e. "cpu nocache" from the CLI)

	Correct.  Falcon was among the many games tested for compatibility
with 2.0, and I made certain SH (in particular Marisa Ong, "nineteen" on
BIX) had up-to-date versions of 2.0 and knew of all 2.0/A3000 issues.  One
difference between 1.3 and 2.0 on the A3000 (and A2500/030) was that 2.0 was
turning on all the caches, while 1.3 turns on only the instruction cache.
The next version of 2.0 won't do that because of old hurricane '030 boards -
unless you set up page tables to make chip regs IO space, turning on the
data cache will kill them.  SetPatch will turn on the caches, and will
have a "NOCACHE" keyword or some such.

	I spent quite a few hours playing mission disk 2 on my test 3000,
and splashed quite a few migs, tanks, bridges, etc.  Good game, and I believe
it's coming out for CDTV as well.

--
Randell Jesup, Jack-of-quite-a-few-trades, Commodore Engineering.
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) (05/26/91)

Anyone know if Falcon 3.0 will be released for the amiga, or a 2.0 friendly
version of falcon? it would be a shame if we couldnt use it when we all
eventually upgrade to 2.0. Does Powermonger run under 2.0? I bought PM and like
it alot but if its not going to work under 2.0, im not sure what I can or will
do. I wont be very pleased however.

**********************************PiRho****************************************
"All power comes from the barrel of a gun"  //
sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu            \\ // Amiga makes it possible
                                         \X/

sanders@chopin.udel.edu (Robert M Sanders) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May24.132033.22861@uservx.afwl.af.mil> ridout@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:

>How do I get Version 1.2 then?  I think I have 1.1 now.
>And are the two mission disks ok then?

In the manual that came with original Falcon disks there should be an
address to mail letters to.  According to the info I was given by
SH, just send $5 and disk #1 of Falcon 1.1 to SH, and they will send
the appropriate Falcon 1.2 disk (just the boot disk, I assume).
As to the mission disks, I was told that they work, and also :

	1) there was a bug in the operation:Firefight disk, and a
 	   free upgrade was mentioned.

	2) that an upgrade was also available for the
	   operation:counterstrike disk

Hope this helps......

						Rob