[net.railroad] Algoma Central Railway Trip

msm@sri-unix (08/30/82)

Article 48:
>From menlo70!hao!hplabs!sri-unix!cca!decvax!harpo!npoiv!npois!cbosgd!nscs!rew Tue Aug 24 17:07:27 1982
Subject: Algoma Central Railway Trip
Newsgroups: net.travel

I just got back from an enjoyable trip to northern Michigan and
the adjacent area of Ontario.  One of the highlights of the trip
was a day excursion on the Algoma Central Railway out of Sault
Ste. Marie.  The train left at 8 AM and returned at 5 PM}i with
a stop for lunch at the end of the line of about 1.5 hours.
The route taken climbed out of Sault Ste. Marie into the hills
north and west of the city.  One spectacular curved trestle complemented
the scenery of pine forest and lakes.  The train included two dining
cars (we ate breakfast there) and about 15 passenger cars.  I
couldn't find the makers plates but I'd guess they were early
50's vintage made for Canadian Pacific.  We all enjoyed the
ride and the lunch break in the Agawa canyon (nice hikes there).
The only drawback was the primative sanitation facilities on
both the train and at the canyon stop.
Thanks to all who responded to my earlier request for information
on this trip.

Bob Warren
cbosg!nscs!rew