[comp.sys.amiga.games] Champions of Krynn.

nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se (Ron Birk) (05/27/90)

I leave the review to other fellows (I'm too lazy), but I can say so much that
there were not so many friends of mine who played Heroes of the Lance, BUT
CoK nearly ALL my friends played day and night!!!! It is very good!!

You can install the game on harddisk too, and for example copy the whole
game to ram (3 disks) and then play from ram, (I have 7 meg ram). Later you
can exit the game and continue with the workbench. That good too.

Ron Birk, nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se

matt@onyx.jpl.nasa.gov (matt of ASTD) (05/30/90)

In CoK I must commend the battle sequences.  Fighting the battles
allows the use of tactics for increased success.  For example,
hitting spell casters first, trying to manuever the bad guys
above or below the party, etc.

I was worried that the battle sequences would become boring
because weak creatures would constantly drag the party into
combat.  However, the bad guys become more vicious as the
adventure continuous.  This means that combat is also important
and generally can't be done thinking about something else.

I do have a problem though.  Does anyone know how to slow down
the combat messages?  Does anyone know how to speed up the
regular messages?  Whenever my party leaves treasure on the ground
we get this slow message asking them if it is ok.  I would like
to speed this up.

Matthew Presley (UCLA CS Grad. Student) & (JPL CS dude)
Internet (presley@cs.ucla.edu) or (matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov)
"Twisted yellow puppies play broken flutes loudly..."

crash@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Larry Gordon) (05/31/90)

In article <3866@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, matt@onyx.jpl.nasa.gov (matt of ASTD) writes:
>In CoK I must commend the battle sequences.  Fighting the battles
>allows the use of tactics for increased success.  For example,
>hitting spell casters first, trying to manuever the bad guys
>above or below the party, etc.
>
>I was worried that the battle sequences would become boring
>because weak creatures would constantly drag the party into
>combat.  However, the bad guys become more vicious as the
>adventure continuous.  This means that combat is also important
>and generally can't be done thinking about something else.
>
>I do have a problem though.  Does anyone know how to slow down
>the combat messages?

Go into ALTER on the ENCAMP screen and change the SPEED

>Does anyone know how to speed up the
>regular messages?  Whenever my party leaves treasure on the ground
>we get this slow message asking them if it is ok.  I would like
>to speed this up.

Same way.  I believe you can change this during combat as well.

	I believe I've found a bug in the game.  I use the mouse to play the
game (because it's simpler) but something I'm doing is making the game not
recognize pointing&clicking on the characters for commands such as view or
memorize.  Anyone else have this problem?

	I really think that COK is a great game, but I believe that more time
could have been spent with the conversion to Amiga.  I think Amiga's graphics
capabilities far outrank those of the IBM EGA version of the game they ported
over.  It reminds me of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Amiga.  It looks
exactly like the IBM (of course its a terrible came, in itself.) In fact, a
friend told me that 688 attack sub was a direct port over from the IBM EGA
version when a VGA version was available.  Now correct me if I'm wrong, but
wouldn't you think Amiga would be capable of handling (ahem) 'the awesome VGA
graphics' which make (cough) IBM the 'leader in the computing field?'

Just some thoughts...
Crash@maple.circa.ufl.edu
Larry Gordon
'No generalization is worth a damn, including this one'

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (07/01/90)

Well I picked this up the day it came out and finally started playing it
(non-stop since I started except to visit the net) two days ago...

and am wondering, what are the best spells to be memorizing (my spell
casters know up to second level spells...)

besides cure light wounds and magic missile, what would you all that solved
it so damn quick suggest?

jaosn

ktj@ceres.physics.uiowa.edu (07/02/90)

In article <MOFO.90Jun30132427@bucsf.bu.edu>, mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) writes:

> Well I picked this up the day it came out and finally started playing it
> (non-stop since I started except to visit the net) two days ago...
>
> and am wondering, what are the best spells to be memorizing (my spell
> casters know up to second level spells...)
>
> besides cure light wounds and magic missile, what would you all that solved
> it so damn quick suggest?
>
> jaosn

For 1st level Spell--

Sleep - this is a great spell for Hobgoblins and other first level monsters
and it works on one or two high level fighter ( 2- 4th level).  Ehat I like to
do is cast sleep on the spellcasters and back ranks of my opponents.  That
way my first rank engages their first rank of monster and my back rank can
spend the killing the spellcaster with arrows.

Enlarge - Increases the targets strength which give extra damage if the
PC hit.
For 2nd Level Spell

Stinking Cloud - This works great against all types of target, even some
dragons.  Spellcaster can't in the cloud and some enemies will be immoblized
 and helpness.   This spell can also be an effective temporary barrier to
hide behind and use range weapons ( arrows and such ).

mirror image - may let a PC with low AC live a couple of rounds longer
against monster that always seem to hit.

+++++++==========>>>KTJ

moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moynihan) (07/03/90)

In article <MOFO.90Jun30132427@bucsf.bu.edu> mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) writes:

>Well I picked this up the day it came out and finally started playing it
>(non-stop since I started except to visit the net) two days ago...
>
>and am wondering, what are the best spells to be memorizing (my spell
>casters know up to second level spells...)
>
>besides cure light wounds and magic missile, what would you all that solved
>it so damn quick suggest?
>
>jaosn

Early on, your MU's should be carrying sleep rather than magic missle.
sleep can leave several monsters helpless per casting, so your fighters
will be able to cut 'em down with a single blow...although I'd keep the
fighters working on the awake monsters, and have the MU use darts to
finish off the sleepers...Only start carrying MM when you hit fifth
level.

I had my clerics memorize close to as many cures as possible.  A big
surprise, though, is the stinking cloud...It works on undead!  (Exactly
what *are* they breathing *with* anyway?)

Make sure you have a red mage in the party.  When you eventually get
the dragonlance, it's in a wizard locked room.  Only red MU's can cast
the knock spell, so without one, you can't get the lance.  (I only had
one MU, and she was a white mage.  I had to remove my kender from the
party, create a new red mage, and protect him until he accumulated
enough experience to cast a knock.  *Then* I was able to recover the
lance...Took me the better part of an afternoon to get on with things.)

I eventually wound up with two Knights.  It's amazing what you can do
when 1/3 of your party has an armor class of -5.

Won the game yesterday.  (So damn quick?  I've been at this for six
weeks.  I'm married and in the "real world"...that takes a bit out of
the available time.) The party:

    Personah Fied     Human   Knight   Level: 7
    Garth Darkblade   Human   Knight   Level: 7
    Valin             1/2 Elf F/C      Level: 7/7
    Claryssa          Human   C        Level: 8
    Nelvanna Grey     Human   White MU Level: 8
    Kellen            Kender  F/T      Level: 5/8

With help from...

    Neutrolian        Human   Red MU   Level: 4

Next game up:  SSI's Star Command...anyone out there played it?

Bob

============================///====================================
moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com   /// "Winners are losers who got up and
Plink: Moynihan        \\\///  gave it just one more try."
Hewlett-Packard/Apollo  \XX/                        -Dennis DeYoung

matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov (matt of ASTD) (07/03/90)

In article <4b5a88fe.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Moynihan) writes:
>Make sure you have a red mage in the party.  When you eventually get
>the dragonlance, it's in a wizard locked room.  Only red MU's can cast
>the knock spell, so without one, you can't get the lance.

This is not true.  You don't need a red MU to get a dragon lance.  My
party had no red MU, but it did have a lance.

As far as I'm concerned, the only first level cleric spell is cure ]
light wounds.  Does anyone have any creative suggestions on how to
use other first level cleric spells?
Matthew Presley (UCLA CS Grad. Student) & (JPL CS dude)
Internet (presley@cs.ucla.edu) or (matt@sapphire.jpl.nasa.gov)
"Twisted yellow puppies play broken flutes loudly..."

rickb@tanus.oz.au (Rick Buhagiar) (07/03/90)

Lads,
I have a major problem when I play this game. I sometimes (by accident) put my
characters on auto. Question is, how do I get them off auto?
Rickb

UUCP: {munnari  cbosdg  hplabs!hpsdd  sdcsvax nosc}!phoenix!tanus!rickb
ARPA: phoenix!tanus!rickb@nosc.mil
INET: rickb@tanus.cts.com

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (07/03/90)

WEll gee tha nks for all your help...

too bad I played the game non-stop for two days before checking back in :-)

now I'm crusing around Neraka with some buttkicking characters. I like this
game...

j_parsons@csc32.enet.dec.com (Jack Parsons) (07/10/90)

In article <177@jabiru.oz.au>, rickb@tanus.oz.au (Rick Buhagiar) writes...
>Lads,
>I have a major problem when I play this game. I sometimes (by accident) put my
>characters on auto. Question is, how do I get them off auto?
>Rickb
>
>UUCP: {munnari  cbosdg  hplabs!hpsdd  sdcsvax nosc}!phoenix!tanus!rickb
>ARPA: phoenix!tanus!rickb@nosc.mil
>INET: rickb@tanus.cts.com

You should be able to get out of auto-mode by hitting the space bar.

	Jack Parsons			|
	j_parsons@csc32.enet.dec.com	|

weic@munnari.oz.au (Wei Kiat CHONG) (07/11/90)

G'day fellow gamers!
	I need some help here...

First of all, am I supposed to find a Dragonlance in the keep at Gargath?
When I reached the top of the keep, Myrtani flies off with the lance on a
dragon and I had to combat 4 (I think) black dragons. Anyway, could anyone
tell me if I'm missing anything?

Secondly, where is the thief's guild in Sanction? I was told by a thief that
its somewhere near the inn but somehow I couldn't find it... I could see
two doors in the tavern but I could not get in. Everytime I say I don't need
a drink I get kicked out.

Thanks for any help!

						See ya!

weic@munmurra.cs.mu.oz.au "Don't you love the Amiga?"

moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moynihan) (07/11/90)

In article <4790@munnari.oz.au> weic@munnari.oz.au (Wei Kiat CHONG) writes:
>G'day fellow gamers!
>	I need some help here...

...don't we all... :-)

>First of all, am I supposed to find a Dragonlance in the keep at Gargath?

Yes.  You're supposed to find it in the hands of Myrtani, who then sics three
(I think) black dragons on you and flys away - with the Dragonlance.

>When I reached the top of the keep, Myrtani flies off with the lance on a
>dragon and I had to combat 4 (I think) black dragons.

Ah, you're doing just fine so far...

>Secondly, where is the thief's guild in Sanction? I was told by a thief that
>its somewhere near the inn but somehow I couldn't find it... I could see
>two doors in the tavern but I could not get in. Everytime I say I don't need
>a drink I get kicked out.

The thieves guild isn't in the tavern.  You need to catch three thieves in the
act of picking your pockets to get all the info you need.  As I recall, it's
in the southeastern quarter of Sanction, on the street west of, and parallel
to, the street with the shops.  I think it's south of the tavern.

>Thanks for any help!

You're welcome.

>weic@munmurra.cs.mu.oz.au "Don't you love the Amiga?"

As a matter of fact, yes, I do.

============================///====================================
moynihan_r@apollo.hp.com   /// "Winners are losers who got up and
Plink: Moynihan        \\\///  gave it just one more try."
Hewlett-Packard/Apollo  \XX/                        -Dennis DeYoung

weic@munnari.oz.au (Wei Kiat CHONG) (07/12/90)

	Thanks a lot for the help but I'd have to say it came a bit late for
me... Not that my characters perished but I finished the game before I read
your reply.
	After I posted the article, I went back to the game and found out
what I missed and so I went on to complete the game on the same day! The game
was very good on the whole and now I can't wait for Pools of Radiance and
Curse of the Auzure Bonds!
	Anyway, see ya!

weic@munmurra.cs.mu.oz.au "Amigas Rule!"
			  "Don't you agree?!"

changed@fiji.berkeley.edu (Chang... Ed Chang.) (07/18/90)

In article number #####, <put name here> writes:

> <something to the effect of "I rescued Caramon and cleared out Throtl, but
>  the Commandant still isn't satisfied">

To which I reply:

If you just cleared out the city itself, you're not done yet.  Exit through
the gate on (9,0) in Throtl for an unpleasant surprise.

Ed

rickb@tanus.oz.au (Rick Buhagiar) (07/18/90)

Is Pools of Radiance out yet on Amiga? No shops in Australia have it yet.

UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!tanus!rickb
INET: rickb@tanus.oz.au

j_parsons@csc32.enet.dec.com (Jack Parsons) (07/20/90)

In article <183@jabaru.oz.au>, rickb@tanus.oz.au (Rick Buhagiar) writes...
>Is Pools of Radiance out yet on Amiga? No shops in Australia have it yet.
>
>UUCP: {munnari}!jabaru!tanus!rickb
>INET: rickb@tanus.oz.au

Nope, but it looks like it might be out here in the US by late summer.

	Jack Parsons			| Nobody Can Hear You When You're
	j_parsons@csc32.enet.dec.com	| Screaming in Digital
					|              -Queensryche

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (03/12/91)

Okay, I solved this game a while back on an IBM when it first came out, and
when I heard about Death Knights of Krynn, well, I bought Champions so I
could have buff characters, powergamer that I am. (What else would you call
someone who made triple-classed characters in Pool of Radiance obtain
7th level as fighters to get the extra attacks for Curse of The Azure Bonds?)
Now I come to my problem.

I had thought, in the endgame,

<spoilers>

last chance....

that I had gotten to all the ogres, started fires for all the draconians,
even sent the old red dragon to his death, and thusly done everything right.

Now I am stuck, with one saved game (I zoomed thru. no cluebook), inside
the fortress. I can't get past the guardian (of course), and I can't pick
the lock on the book. What do I need to do to open it? I even memorized
a knock spell, but it won't give me the option to use it.
I can't exit because Myrtani's forces are trying to retake the gate.

I don't suppose I need a kender, do I? My party is:
(I have Tasslehoff with me, of course)

Human Knight, two-handed sword +3, girdle of giant strength
Human Knight, Dragonlance
Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger
Qualinesti Elf F/M/T
Human Cleric
Human Mage

The knights are 7th, the multis are avg 6th, and the cleric and mage 7th,
if not 8th. (I think 8th).
Naturally max stats :) (Powergamer alert!)

So: how do I unlock the book? do I need to create a temporary kender or
something?
When I solved it on the IBM I had:
Human Knight (bypassed the dragonlance and still won the f*cking game! Yeah!)
Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger
Dwarf Cleric/Ranger
Silv Elf C/F/M
Qual Elf C/F/M
Kender Cleric/Thief

Man, Having 5 clerics' worth of Hold person sure helped! Heh heh heh....
The current party I deem superior, and have used it in Pool and curse,
except the cleric/ranger is a C/F/M half-elf. If you want to talk
powergaming, email me! ;) Ask about my optimized party for when Secret of
THe Silver Blades comes out for the Amiga..

Back to the subject: what do I do with the book? It's been too long.
I solved it on the IBM one year ago somewhere during february.....

Wayne

*    // Only /\      |Lord Zar,Commander Of All He Surveys|Stay Alert! Trust  *
*\\ //      /--\MIGA |(and hater of spaces near commas.)  |No One! Keep--AHHHH*
* \X/ Internet: lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu QuantumLink & Portal: Lord_Zar       *
* I'm a Purple Hearts & Yellow Moons kinda guy; I'm vay-teeng for you, dahlink*
*Don't think of them as pedestrians, think of them as semi-mobile speed bumps.*
*-Lord Teka                                                                   *

scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) (03/12/91)

did you think of using a key? it's in myrtani's bedroom.

PYC136@uriacc.uri.edu (Andy Patrizio) (04/06/91)

Anyone playing this game? I could use a few hints. Right now I'm at the
outpost between Gargath and Jalek.

.signed,
-----
Andy Patrizio            |  Internet: pyc136@uriacc.uri.edu
Class of 2010            |  ARPA:     pyc136%uriacc.bitnet@brownvm.brown.edu
University of RI         |  Usenet:   andypo@idsvax.ids.com
                         |  UUCP:     uunet!rayssd!idsvax!andypo
-----
"I think grown-ups just ACT like they know what they're doing" - Calvin
-----

coulth@thor.acc.stolaf.edu () (04/13/91)

Does anyone know what the sequel to SSI's Champions of Krynn is called?
Does anyone have it? Is it any good?

I just finished Champions of Krynn and I am hungry for more.

Thanks a lot.  Please send e-mail to coultn@carleton.edu.
--
Nick Coult, Micro Computer Consultant
Carleton College

johnsonc@topaz.ucq.edu.au (Who did you think it was?) (05/27/91)

CHAMPIONS OF KRYNN.

From:	TOPAZ::RUSSELLS     "The Gulf War = Iraqi Invitational Gult Tournament." 25-MAY-1991 15:07:34.89
To:	CHRIS
CC:
Subj:	Could you please send this for me..??

>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.games
>
>Thanks for the info on Champions of Krynn...you know, its too bad that SSI
>didn't put more effort into the game.  For some reason, I like it.  I guess
>because its pretty easy and I just don't have the time for the likes of
>Ultima.  But it sure is lacking in quality of interface and attention to
>detail...
>
>One other quick question:  does the order in which you complete the missions
>matter?  For instance, I've been told to check the ogre base to the northeast
>of Jelek, as well as the Southern Outpost.  Also, I know the dragonlance is
>in Sanction.  Does it affect the game if I get the dragonlance first?
>Judging from the way the game keeps track of time (nonexistant), I would think
>it doesn't matter...but just wanted to make sure.
>
>Thanks

The order doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't recommend going to Sanction
just yet unless your characters are pretty strong because Sanction is loaded
with minotors(??) and they are pretty tough unless you have a few fireball
spells.

Go and check out the ogre base first because there are 8000 steel pieces in
one of the rooms.  In the ogre base, go through all the romms in the central
building before entering the meeting hall.

The next time you leave the Outpost after clearing the southern outpost, Maya
arrives and leads you through Neraka to near where Sir Karl is.  If you don't
go with her immediatly, then you have to fight your way through most of Neraka
to get to the same place.  You'll see what I mean when you get this far.

I have an IBM compatable and this is where I played COK so maybe it will be a
little different on the Amiga.
Shane Russell           | "No nation that ever placed its faith in parchment or
B. App. Sc. (Chemistry) |  paper while at the same time it gave up its
                        |  protective hardware, ever lasted long enough to write
russells@topaz          |  many pages in history." -- Ronald Reagan 1981.
For military-minded persons --->   Tomcats eat Eagles and Falcons for breakfast.