[comp.sys.amiga.games] Masterpieces?; Was: Eye of the Beholder

colas@celeste.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (05/28/91)

In article <25043@well.sf.ca.us>, farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>  but I've seen every single concept used in DM long before, in
> one game or another.
>   But it isn't a work of genius, it
> isn't a masterpiece.

No man is an island. Take Mozart for instance. All the concepts in his
masterpieces can be traced down to obscure composers of his time. His genius was
to "integrate" the whole thing and come with a real original work, yet based on
all that was available at the time.

For me DM is (in a very small scale) comparable to Mozart quatuors: you get a
sense of perfection that can only be pushed off-balance if you try to enhance
them. Putting AD&D rules in DM is for me like putting a piano in the quatuors,
thinking that since piano is a more powerful instrument, it should be better...

BTW: my computer games masterpieces:
	wizardry (dated now. I think success was due to lack of competition)
	lode runner
	sundog
	dungeon master
	populous: my favorite.
		(powermonger is for me a little off-balance. As we say in
		 french: "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien", the better is good's
		 ennemy)