[comp.sys.amiga.games] TV Sports Basketball

md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Marcus Dolengo) (12/10/90)

ARGH! can someone explain to me why when I play the computer, the computer
always shoots 77% of their FGA while I cant buy a shot in the paint or if I'm
lucky, I hit 35% of my shots? And my passes always gets stolen. It matters
not what teamI play with or against or if I play leagueplay or exibition or
whatever. Please help.

 o                             o   | This Space For Rent                     //
<< md41@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu >>  | Amerikkka's Most Wanted               \X/
/>                             <\  | I made up my own mind, now I want a Tshirt
"Help! I've fallen and can't get up"
"We went to Holland, land of Dykes. Hated it!" <In Living Color>

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George Withers) (12/13/90)

> ARGH! can someone explain to me why when I play the computer, the computer
> always shoots 77% of their FGA while I cant buy a shot in the paint or if I'm
> lucky, I hit 35% of my shots? And my passes always gets stolen. It matters
> not what teamI play with or against or if I play leagueplay or exibition or
> whatever. Please help.

I've had TVB for less than a week and haven't had these problems.  I don't
usually win against the computer but it isn't a slaughter either.  On average,
I'm shooting about 40-45%, with the computer about 58-63%.

BTW, a fantastic game!  I love it!  Highly recommended, good graphics, great
play, and a good "feel" like real basketball.

One problem I had defending against the computer was that I would keep
chasing the ball with my currently selected defended, thus leaving the man
I should be covering and allowing him to be hit open.  A single press will move
you to the nearest defender to the ball, or will attempt to steal if you are
the nearest defender.  A press-hold will jump (or so it seems, again its been
less than a week).

On offense, make sure the shooters are open and have a decent "shooting"
statistic.  You might try some short exhibition, 3-minute, 2-on-2 games to
work on passing/shooting with a little less resistance from the other team.

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (12/14/90)

In article <18125@shlump.nac.dec.com> withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George Withers) writes:

>One problem I had defending against the computer was that I would keep
>chasing the ball with my currently selected defended, thus leaving the man
>I should be covering and allowing him to be hit open.  A single press will move
>you to the nearest defender to the ball, or will attempt to steal if you are
>the nearest defender.  A press-hold will jump (or so it seems, again its been
>less than a week).

A few tips I've found useful on defense.  First, try to defend one of the
guards.  Don't keep switching off to cover other guys, the computer will
always burn you.  When guarding a good outside shooter, back off him a step
or two.  Hitting the button a few times quickly as he shoots lowers his
shooting percentage quite a bit.  Don't run at him and go for the block -
he'll either sink it, or you'll get called for a foul (or both).

Every now and then, an opposing center starts dominating your center.  In
this case, a good idea is to double-team him with your left forward.  The
computer is fairly dumb here - he'll keep trying to shoot with his center,
and you'll end up blocking half his shots.  These tips worked for me....

>On offense, make sure the shooters are open and have a decent "shooting"
>statistic.  You might try some short exhibition, 3-minute, 2-on-2 games to
>work on passing/shooting with a little less resistance from the other team.

Also, make yourself a REALLY quick guard, with an 8 or 9 for quickness.
You'll be amazed at the number of slams this guy can get!

Brian Pelletier, Hardware guy | Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.
Sky Computer  Chelmsford, MA  | Amiga!  UUCP: pelletier@grove.uucp (home)
UUCP: brian@sky.com (work)    | Plink: TACK

davidy@sumax.UUCP (David L. Yee) (12/14/90)

	One way to dramatically improve your shot percentage and lower the
computers' is to make sure you have a shot blocking center. A center with
high jumping ratings and good defense will do this. Then, if you play
guard you will have many opportunities for fast breaks by running out on the
break after the block and calling for the ball. The players I personally
control usually shoot around 70%, and the opponents shoot around 40% using
this scheme.

					David L. Yee
				Email to:davidy@sumax.seattleu.edu

jh6n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jason Hou) (12/15/90)

One strategy I've used many times to burn the computer is get an awesome
forward with 8 on speed and 6 or 7 on jumping, then isolate him by
moving the guard on his side toward the center of the court. When you
pass the ball to him, take him to the corner of the court, then do a
quick move toward the outside and then back toward the basket, I can get
a slam dunk about 80% of the time this way. And my forward has been able
to lead the league in scoring with about 55 points a game this way.

ca003@zeus.unomaha.edu (05/27/91)

	Does anyone out there have the 90/91 stats for T.V. Sports basketball?
Last year the PD stats were out by this time. If anyone out there has a desire
for the stats, maybe I can brew some up myself if they don't already exist.

			TNX,
			   Ted(TAA06@vax.iastate.edu)

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George A. Withers) (05/29/91)

In article <15421.283ff502@zeus.unomaha.edu>, ca003@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
|> 	Does anyone out there have the 90/91 stats for T.V. Sports basketball?
|> Last year the PD stats were out by this time. If anyone out there has
|> a desire
|> for the stats, maybe I can brew some up myself if they don't already
|> exist.

I, too, would like a new season statistics.  I don't have enough of the stats
to it myself (and my version would weigh too heavily towards the
Boston Celtics! :-)).  Post here if the new season exists or if you create it!

|> 			TNX,
|> 			   Ted(TAA06@vax.iastate.edu)

 George A. Withers, Jr.                  |  "There is no life I know to compare
 Digital Equipment Corp., 97 Piper Road  |   with pure imagination.  Living
 Acton, MA   01720   AT&T: 508.264.2339  |   there you'll be free .. if you
 Addr: withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com       |   truly wish to be."  - W. Wonka
      DISCLAIMER:  "Don't look at me!  I didn't do it!" (Krusty the Clown)