[comp.sys.amiga.games] Masterpieces?

rhett@max.u.washington.edu (05/27/91)

Well then, while we are on the subject, what games ARE masterpieces?
Shadow of the Beast? ...Looks pretty, the music is excellent, but I think
the playability sucked....the action wasn't really that good. Running around
punching bad guys without much variation....

I guess I'm kind of getting a little bummed on Amiga games. The graphics
are always neato, and sometimes the music is good, but so many games
are slow, or the get boring quickly....it's always the feel of the action
that is missing from Amiga games. I don't really have time to play
intensive role-playing/adventure games...even Future Wars is getting old.

I wish there was something like Street Fighter II on the Amiga. Have you
guys seen this game? (It's a console/arcade game...the kind you have to
put quarters/tokens in and you stand up to play it.) Everytime I play this
thing I think to myself that the Amiga could do graphics like that, but
frankly I am doubtful that the Amiga has the speed to pull off the dynamics.

I guess that the only game I've purchased so far, that I still enjoy, is
Turrican. The action was good, there's a lot of stuff to explore and
plenty of variation. The Killing Game Show wasn't nearly as fun (if we
are going to compare platform games) and cost twice as much.

I guess I'm in the minority here when it comes to Amiga games....I'm
a little pessimistic...so any flames/suggestions are welcome.

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May26.120758.1@max.u.washington.edu> rhett@max.u.washington.edu writes:

>I wish there was something like Street Fighter II on the Amiga. Have you
>guys seen this game? (It's a console/arcade game...the kind you have to
>put quarters/tokens in and you stand up to play it.) Everytime I play this
>thing I think to myself that the Amiga could do graphics like that, but
>frankly I am doubtful that the Amiga has the speed to pull off the dynamics.

The Amiga could handle the graphics, sound, and even speed of Street
Fighter II no problem. The snag would be character control. The arcade
game uses 6 different buttons plus a joystick to do it's thing. Most
Amiga games are written for one button joysticks. It would tend to
lose something in the translation.

Very few people are putting out good arcade style games for the Amiga.
Robocop 2 was one of the better ones I've purchased as of late. Seems
there's a stigma against arcade style games. Almost like Nintendo or
Sega have the only claim to that sort of thing.

Then, those few companies that are doing ports, are doing them badly.
Quite often the port is from the arcade  to the IBM and THEN to the
Amiga with no care being taken in the Amiga code.

Special F/X, the folks who did Robocop 2, did an amazing job. I would
love to see more ports by them especially anything Arcade wise.

Another problem that needs to be addressed is the lack of support for
multi-button joysticks. Currentlt EVERY routine I have seen for
reading the joystick ports only read one button. To have a two button
joystick all you need to is slap a second button on there that works
like the right mouse button. Then just check for the right mouse
button press along with the left when reading the port for a joystick.
With the advent of CDTV and it's two button controller I am hoping we
will begin to see more two button support in games.

Three buttons would be rather easy as well. Consider the following:
Sega does a lot of their development for the Sega Genesis on networked
A2000s and as a result, their three button joypads workd GREAT on the
Amiga. A few Amiga games (R-Type among them) even support two out of
the three buttons on the joypad. (Made playing R-Type MUCH better)
Supporting that third button shouldn't be too hard. With the easy
availability of the Sega Gensis joypads all over the place it wouldn't
be a problem for folks to pick one up if a game required it. The thing
is, SOMEONE has to start supporting it. If programmers do support it
then others will join in and then joystick makers will start making
sticks for the Amiga that support three buttons.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (05/27/91)

 Some people that I know got a SEGA to check it out, and now dont
 play games on the amiga anymore.Its a sign to me...
 Curently people pass to mutch time on the technical part of games
 and leave playabilty on the side!
 The best games I have played are MSXII games, including Space ManBow.
 Style wonder if those kind will ever be seen on the amiga since there
 is no market!

							Stephan.

mt87692@cc.tut.fi (Tsokkinen Mikko) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May26.120758.1@max.u.washington.edu> rhett@max.u.washington.edu writes:

[ Some stuff deleted ]

> I guess that the only game I've purchased so far, that I still enjoy, is
> Turrican. The action was good, there's a lot of stuff to explore and
> plenty of variation. The Killing Game Show wasn't nearly as fun (if we
> are going to compare platform games) and cost twice as much.

How about TurricanII ?

 Mit

--
Bubble Bobble

havir@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Eric Havir) (05/28/91)

I think one of the main gripes I would have with Amiga games is the seemingly
'lack of effort' that is put into some.  If I were to compare a top game on
the IBM, with a top game on the Amiga...the thing that most sticks out about
the IBM game is the polish.  The IBM market is so much more competitive, they
seem to try harder.  The top Amiga games either (like said before) have great
graphics, and no gameplay...or have great gameplay, and IBM CGA type graphics.

The Amiga is still my computer of choice, although it's been a while since
I've bought a game.  I mostly have been into doing my own music and
graphics...and stayed away from a lot of new games.

+------------->
   If there are any software companies looking for decent game
designers...look no further.  Give me a call!
                                                      <-------------+

Heck, it's worth a shot...my own software company has been rather slow
lately...(Astaria Software)...plug.  *= )

--
  Eric "Rangorin" Havir
    UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!havir

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (05/28/91)

Masterpieces are games that I enjoyed right out of the box, and keep
playing often enough that I keep them handy in my disk drawer so I can
play them again and again.

]While graphics and sound are important in such a game, long-term
playability is by and far the most important; and there are very few
games that qualify by my criteria.

The first Masterpiece that I own is not an Amiga game at all.  I fell
for SkyFox on the Apple II, and when I moved up (to what I thought was
the logical successor) to the Amiga 1000, I bought a copy.  I play it
less often these days, because it requires v1.1 to work properly.

Falling short of masterpiece quality (due to lack of long-term
playability) is CinemaWare's Defender of the Crown and Rocket Ranger.
Both of these games contain excellent graphics and sound, but I no
longer play them often; however, I show both of them off to friends
quite frequently.

I think (but don't know for sure yet) that Lemmings will meet my
masterpiece criteria.  The other two that I own are Dragon (mah-jong)
and SimCity; again for long-term playability more than graphics and
sound.

Wildstar

"Once again, I cut a worthless object."

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Boing) (05/29/91)

The one game I own I that I can keep coming back to without getting tired
of is Shanghai.  I sort of wish the graphics could be improved to exploit
the Amiga's full potential.
--
  // uhccux amiga archive | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

x3212ijt@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (05/29/91)

Some of my masterpieces:

Might and Magic
Might and Magic II (maybe. never got a chance to finish. dumb C64)
Ultima IV
Ultima V, to a lesser extent
Planetfall
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Champions of Krynn
Powermonger
Populous
Dungeon Master
Speedball 2

Some of those aren't quite masterpieces, only semi-masterpieces, but they all
are either very good or very good and very revolutionary.

x3212ijt@maple.circa.ufl.edu
I OWN alt.cybertoon.  (:

Mark "No Goofy Nickname" Sachs <MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/30/91)

I don't know if it's actually a "masterpiece" but it is
DEFINITELY a work of art: Datastorm. Unquestionably the fastest,
wildest, and most impressive Amiga arcade game there is. This is
a Defender clone with a gazillion additions, all hand-coded in assembler
for incredible results. I simply can't think of anything wrong with it!

As for adventures, here's one not mentioned yet: Damocles. You have an ENTIRE
SOLAR SYSTEM to explore, and there is detail down to furniture in individual
rooms in houses in the suburbs of various cities... All in beautiful 3D
graphics, of course, but what's even better is that the whole scenario
holds together perfectly. While you're playing this you can almost believe
you're on another planet. I don't play it much any more because I've
already wrung just about every secret there is from the thing (resulting
in a spoiler file several KB long) but this one truly IS a masterpiece.
There are several joking references to another sequel, Mercenary III,
being in the works. I hope it does come out, but I can't imagine what
Novagen (the software company) will do for an encore to Damocles.

One more "best": Fire Power. An oldie, but definitely a goodie. I pulled
this one out the other day for a friend of mine and we spent an enjoyable
few hours zooming around in tanks and blasting each other to bits. The
one-player mode is OK, but two-player really shines.

[Your blood pressure just went up.]
//-Mark Sachs, aka mbs110@psuvm.psu.edu --//----- Remember the 1980's? ----//
// DISCLAIMER: It's NOT MY FAULT!        /AMIGA   When things were so      //
//-Kei and Yuri forced me to say it. --\X/------- uncomplicated... - ELO --//

jamie@sievax.enet.dec.com (Jamie Badman) (05/31/91)

I believe Supercars II to be pretty well perfect along with Kick Off 2.
Both these games are superbly presented with oodles of gameplay and
posess REAL playability. These are the games I reach out for more often
than any other.

				Jamie.