[comp.sys.amiga.games] Ultima V

fstuart@eng.auburn.edu (Frank Stuart) (02/07/91)

Does anyone know where I can get docs, a walkthrough, or something similar for
Ultima V?

--Frank
fstuart@eng.auburn.edu

epfister@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ed Pfister) (05/23/91)

  ***POSSIBLE SPOILER***

I found out from Saul where mandrake and nightshade can be found.
I went to the Bloody Plains and waited until midnight and searched the
one swamp area.  There was nothing there.  I also went to the one jungle
square in Spirit Wood and found nothing there.  What am I doing wrong?
Spoilers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

 Oh, I'm playing the Amiga version(8.0).

mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M. Friedrich) (05/24/91)

epfister@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ed Pfister) writes:

>I found out from Saul where mandrake and nightshade can be found.
>I went to the Bloody Plains and waited until midnight and searched the
>one swamp area.  There was nothing there.  I also went to the one jungle
>square in Spirit Wood and found nothing there.  What am I doing wrong?
>Spoilers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hmmm...this is Ultima IV you're talking of. In Ultima IV you'll find
mandrake in the swamps and nightshade in the woods, but in Ultima V
you can buy it in herbs shops.

:-)

-Efchen
---
   /~\   |  Martin Friedrich       IRC/FN/BITNET: Efchen
  C oo   |  Postfach 1602     NightFall: Sir Efchen, Knight of Elvendar
  _( ^)  |  8520 Erlangen
   ~\    |  GERMANY        InterNet:mnfriedr@informatik.uni-erlangen.de
 Tie two birds together. Though they have four wings, they cannot fly.
                                                    - The silent Flute

epfister@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ed Pfister) (05/25/91)

Followuepfister@polyslo.calpoly.edu
In article <1991May24.080149.23373@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M. Friedrich) writes:

>>I found out from Saul where mandrake and nightshade can be found.
>>I went to the Bloody Plains and waited until midnight and searched the
>>one swamp area.  There was nothing there.  I also went to the one jungle
>>square in Spirit Wood and found nothing there.  What am I doing wrong?
>>Spoilers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
>
>Hmmm...this is Ultima IV you're talking of. In Ultima IV you'll find
>mandrake in the swamps and nightshade in the woods, but in Ultima V
>you can buy it in herbs shops.

 No, this is Ultima V.  Saul, in Skara Brae, will tell you where to find
them if you ask him about either Nightshade or Mandrake.  They can also
be bought in certain areas though.

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (05/28/91)

In article <283e8cba.197c@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> epfister@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ed Pfister) writes:

> Followuepfister@polyslo.calpoly.edu
> In article <1991May24.080149.23373@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M. Friedrich) writes:
> >
> >>I found out from Saul where mandrake and nightshade can be found.
> >>I went to the Bloody Plains and waited until midnight and searched the
> >>one swamp area.  There was nothing there.  I also went to the one jungle
> >>square in Spirit Wood and found nothing there.  What am I doing wrong?
> >>Spoilers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
> >
> >Hmmm...this is Ultima IV you're talking of. In Ultima IV you'll find
> >mandrake in the swamps and nightshade in the woods, but in Ultima V
> >you can buy it in herbs shops.
>
>  No, this is Ultima V.  Saul, in Skara Brae, will tell you where to find
> them if you ask him about either Nightshade or Mandrake.  They can also
> be bought in certain areas though.

I don't know about Ultima V, but in Ultima IV, not only did you have to
search at midnight, you would only find it when the moons were in proper
phase (I believe both had to ne "new" (black)).

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft.hou.tx.us
Starbound Software Group | "The large print giveth, the small print
      Houston, TX        | taketh away." -- Tom Waits in "Step Right Up"

wangsawm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Wangsawidjaja Mintardjo) (05/30/91)

epfister@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ed Pfister) in article <283e8cba.197c@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> submit:

>Followuepfister@polyslo.calpoly.edu
>In article <1991May24.080149.23373@informatik.uni-erlangen.de> mnfriedr@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (M. Friedrich) writes:
>>
>>>I found out from Saul where mandrake and nightshade can be found.
>>>I went to the Bloody Plains and waited until midnight and searched the
>>>one swamp area.  There was nothing there.  I also went to the one jungle
>>>square in Spirit Wood and found nothing there.  What am I doing wrong?
>>>Spoilers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
>>
>>Hmmm...this is Ultima IV you're talking of. In Ultima IV you'll find
>>mandrake in the swamps and nightshade in the woods, but in Ultima V
>>you can buy it in herbs shops.
>
> No, this is Ultima V.  Saul, in Skara Brae, will tell you where to find
>them if you ask him about either Nightshade or Mandrake.  They can also
>be bought in certain areas though.

It's not false. There's a spot (the only spot) where mandrake and another
spot (also the only spot) where nightshade can be retrieved without going
to shop. I don't remember the exact coordinate of both spots.

Spoilers:

***

The spots are real spots.
Search at the exact time.
Otherwise, they can't be retrieved.

***

***** /---------------------------------------------------------------------/ *
**** // Wangsawidjaja, Mintardjo                Oregon State University.  // **
*** //  Groups: student                         Domain: CS.ORST.EDU      // ***
** //   Internet: wangsawm@PRISM.CS.ORST.EDU    Phone: (503) 737-9000   // ****
* /---------------------------------------------------------------------/ *****

thinker@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (71065000) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.080552.16501@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> wangsawm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Wangsawidjaja Mintardjo) writes:
>epfister@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ed Pfister) in article <283e8cba.197c@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> submit:
>>>Hmmm...this is Ultima IV you're talking of. In Ultima IV you'll find
>>>mandrake in the swamps and nightshade in the woods, but in Ultima V
>>>you can buy it in herbs shops.
>> No, this is Ultima V.  Saul, in Skara Brae, will tell you where to find
>>them if you ask him about either Nightshade or Mandrake.  They can also
>>be bought in certain areas though.

I have the exact same problem as the original poster, whose question has not
yet been answered.  I know, from Saul, exactly where to look for mandrake and
nightshade, but I don't know WHEN (i.e. what phase of the moon).  Actually,
looking in the manual, under nightshade (I think it's nigtshade- whichever one
found in the forest), it says that it can be found when the moons are full and
in a certain conjunction.  Finding the right conjunction shouldn't be too hard,
but one should remember that it could be two different nights.  The main prob-
lem is finding when both moons are full.  I have been playing for a month or so,and I have never seen a time when they are full at the same time.  It always
seems that one is full, and then it changes as the other becomes full (or sim-
ilar situations).  As for the Mandrake, again, it can be found in the damp
spot in the Bloody Plains (and also the Fens of the Dead), and I think at
night, but I have no idea when.  I'm making a chart of all the possible phases
of the moon, but I really don't want to go through them all.  It isn't like
Ultima IV, where it is available during two new moons- I've already tried that.
If anybody can help with this, I and the original poster, I'm sure, would be
most grateful.

wangsawm@prism.cs.orst.edu (Wangsawidjaja Mintardjo) (06/01/91)

thinker@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (71065000) in article <16394@darkstar.ucsc.edu> submit:

>I have the exact same problem as the original poster, whose question has not
>yet been answered.  I know, from Saul, exactly where to look for mandrake and
>nightshade, but I don't know WHEN (i.e. what phase of the moon).  Actually,
>looking in the manual, under nightshade (I think it's nigtshade- whichever one
>found in the forest), it says that it can be found when the moons are full and
>in a certain conjunction.  Finding the right conjunction shouldn't be too hard,
>but one should remember that it could be two different nights.  The main prob-
>lem is finding when both moons are full.  I have been playing for a month or so,and I have never seen a time when they are full at the same time.  It always
>seems that one is full, and then it changes as the other becomes full (or sim-
>ilar situations).  As for the Mandrake, again, it can be found in the damp
>spot in the Bloody Plains (and also the Fens of the Dead), and I think at
>night, but I have no idea when.  I'm making a chart of all the possible phases
>of the moon, but I really don't want to go through them all.  It isn't like
>Ultima IV, where it is available during two new moons- I've already tried that.
>If anybody can help with this, I and the original poster, I'm sure, would be
>most grateful.

I guess the manual has distracted you somehow. But, have you tried the
following:

A spoiler:

At any midnight, between 00:00 and 00:30 (If I am not wrong), try searching
one of the spots.

***

How many hardware engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
None: "We'll fix it in software."

How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
None: "We'll document it in the manual."

How many tech writers does it take to change a lightbulb?
None: "The user can work it out."

***