[comp.sys.amiga.games] Falcon: Operation Firefight: Defeating MiG-21s???

sphaak@vela.acs.oakland.edu (sphaak) (05/28/91)

Last week I finished a game of Operation Firefight at the Major level.  I am
now working on the Lt. Col. level, busy trying to use the F-16 like it was a
 Ju-87 "StuKa!" (for launching mavericks at enemy tanks in the face of 100,000
SA-7s!)  My question is:  how do you defeat the MiG-21 in a dogfight?  I think
the computer consistently pulls 9 g in that thing!  How can I defeat that!?
Are ACMs even worth the trouble to get good at in the game?  Help!

-Ross Starkey

jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (05/28/91)

In article <6608@vela.acs.oakland.edu> sphaak@vela.acs.oakland.edu
(sphaak) writes:

>  My question is:  how do you defeat the MiG-21 in a dogfight?
>  [with an F16]

I think it's a very close call, generaly, once it gets near, you have
to play with airbreaks and flaps to make tighter turns and afterburner
to jump to a clear place

On and F15 (or is it the F16) the power/weight ratio is supperior to
1, so you can run up (90 degrees), cut power, dive, and get either
missile lock or some lead.  Be carefull about wing load (if it
exists).

And now for some ascii art:

On more conventional dogfight:

A)

Both tight-turning.

                    \
                    M-
                    /

            /F\

A.1)
Try to gain some height quickly.
Then cut power, add airbreaks, add full flaps.
This should turn you quite quickly.

Problems:
 - By the time you finish the turn
   - you are about to stall.
   - you are also a sitting duck.

Open afterburner and try to get him with the machine gun (tricky).

A.2)
Try to run up in a 45deg spiral (so you are not a BIG EXHAUST)
When you face him again dive, get missile lock and fire (must be a
radar missile)

A.3)
A loop might put you behind him (Or give a clear angle for an IR
seeker).  But it must be a power ascent and a glided descent (Or
you'll end right in front of him).

B) Try to run him into the ground
If the ground has mountains, try to fly a little over the top, and
then downhill (as many automated fighters just see you, you may lure
him through the mountain)

--
Jose Pedro T. Pina Coelho   | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fct.unl.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto          | UUCP: ...!mcsun!unl!jpc

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?

Mark.Stuart@actrix.gen.nz (Mark Stuart) (05/31/91)

In article <JPC.91May28133734@terra.fct.unl.pt> jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) writes:

> In article <6608@vela.acs.oakland.edu> sphaak@vela.acs.oakland.edu
> (sphaak) writes:
>
> >  My question is:  how do you defeat the MiG-21 in a dogfight?
> >  [with an F16]
>
> I think it's a very close call, generaly, once it gets near, you have
> to play with airbreaks and flaps to make tighter turns and afterburner
> to jump to a clear place
>
> On and F15 (or is it the F16) the power/weight ratio is supperior to
> 1, so you can run up (90 degrees), cut power, dive, and get either
> missile lock or some lead.  Be carefull about wing load (if it
> exists).

With Dogfighting 90% of your chance of survival relies on whether you
suprise the Mig or you get a better tactical position in the first few
seconds of the dogfight. Keep your radar off at all times, it is
pretty useless anyway, try to stay low, especially when your sneaking
up on a mig. When dogfighting always use the Heads Up View, then you
won't overshoot when he break, conserve your ammo until you can see the
whites of his eyes. Don't be afraid to use your afterburner to close a
turn, if you lose your energy he'll break and make 'slashing' attacks.

I stick to these rules, and have defeated 9 Migs, Colonel Level, with
Ace Migs turned on, and landed! (oh, and up to 3 migs in a scrap, and
that was one mission). Remember when you chase a Mig let him lead a
little and don't pull your nose ahead until your going to make that
shot.

brad@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Brad Grier) (06/02/91)

I've found that launching the new AIM 120 at ranges 18mi-22mi effective,
when you are closing in a head to head confrontation. otherwise, get in
close and turn and burn with your m61 cannon.

good luck

Brad Grier              brad@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982