[comp.sys.amiga.games] Rocket Ranger in the movies!?

hjalmar@cbmswe.UUCP (Peter Hjalmarsson) (05/19/91)

In article <6509@vela.acs.oakland.edu> lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) writes:
>In article <9105210951.aa12181@zds-oem.zds.COM> benjamin%zds-oem@CASPIAN.CS.ANDREWS.EDU (Adam Benjamin  Core Hardware Engineering) writes:
>>
>>I spotted a new movie soon to be released that looks very much like
>>a spin-off of our beloved Rocket Ranger.  Have any of you seen the
>>preview?  It's called Rocket Man, and if CinemaWare (may they rest in
>>peace) isn't collecting some kind of royalty for the idea, they really
>>deserve to.
>
>The movie is called Rocketeer and I am afraid that Cinemaware is not
>the first to have such a concept. These types of movies were common
>back in that time period as serials run at the local Bijou. Westerns
>and several other serials were run in the theaters usually before the
>big show.
>

>--
>/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
>|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |
>|                               | on the world...and you thought things|
>|lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | couldn't get any worse.              |

Well, this one is a _licensed_ film version of the comic book Rocketeer by Dave
Stevens, so it has absolutely nothing to do with the Cinemaware game, other
than I suspect that Cinemaware has been inspired by the Comic bok as well.

Read the comic, it is great!!

Peter Hjalmarsson, Amiga Support, Commdore Sweden
...{uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmswe!hjalmar

benjamin%zds-oem@CASPIAN.CS.ANDREWS.EDU (Adam Benjamin Core Hardware Engineering) (05/21/91)

I spotted a new movie soon to be released that looks very much like
a spin-off of our beloved Rocket Ranger.  Have any of you seen the
preview?  It's called Rocket Man, and if CinemaWare (may they rest in
peace) isn't collecting some kind of royalty for the idea, they really
deserve to.
--

    Adam Benjamin  //         AN353@Clevaland.freenet.edu <- good chance
Amiga Fanatic at\X/ Large      Benjamin%zds-oem@caspian.cs.andrews.edu

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/21/91)

In article <9105210951.aa12181@zds-oem.zds.COM> benjamin%zds-oem@CASPIAN.CS.ANDREWS.EDU (Adam Benjamin  Core Hardware Engineering) writes:

>I spotted a new movie soon to be released that looks very much like
>a spin-off of our beloved Rocket Ranger.  Have any of you seen the
>preview?  It's called Rocket Man, and if CinemaWare (may they rest in
>peace) isn't collecting some kind of royalty for the idea, they really
>deserve to.

No, both of these are take-offs from the cheap sci-fi thrillers of the 30s
and 40s.  You can still rent them from your local video store.  Don't you
wonder why both Rocket Ranger & Rocket Man are set in the WW II time-frame?
That is because the originals were actually produced in the 30s and 40s.  So
when people do a take-off on them they set it in the same era.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (05/22/91)

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>In article <9105210951.aa12181@zds-oem.zds.COM> benjamin%zds-oem@CASPIAN.CS.ANDREWS.EDU (Adam Benjamin  Core Hardware Engineering) writes:
>>
>>I spotted a new movie soon to be released that looks very much like
>>a spin-off of our beloved Rocket Ranger.

>No, both of these are take-offs from the cheap sci-fi thrillers of the 30s
>and 40s.

*Sigh*.  _Rocket Ranger_ is adapted from a comic book, which in turn
was inspired by the serials.
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                       +1 606 257 2975

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (05/22/91)

v125lqbx@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian T McColpin) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.184810.541@ms.uky.edu>, kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes...

|>>I spotted a new movie soon to be released that looks very much like
|>>a spin-off of our beloved Rocket Ranger.
|
|>No, both of these are take-offs from the cheap sci-fi thrillers of the 30s
|>and 40s.
|
|*Sigh*.  _Rocket Ranger_ is adapted from a comic book, which in turn
|was inspired by the serials.

The comic book is called The Rocketeer, which is what the movie called, as
well.  Like I'm sure you all wanted to know that.  :-)  Anyway, the point
is that the game and the movie are both spinoffs of the comic book.

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/22/91)

In article <77346@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v125lqbx@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
]In article <1991May21.184810.541@ms.uky.edu>, kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes...
]|>>
]|>>I spotted a new movie soon to be released that looks very much like
]|>>a spin-off of our beloved Rocket Ranger.
]|
]
]The comic book is called The Rocketeer, which is what the movie called, as
]well.  Like I'm sure you all wanted to know that.  :-)  Anyway, the point
]is that the game and the movie are both spinoffs of the comic book.

Which in turn was inspired by the serials.  ie, "the cheap sci-fi thrillers of
the 30s and 40s".  *Sigh*

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__

djohnson@mbongo.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (05/22/91)

>I spotted a new movie soon to be released that looks very much like
>a spin-off of our beloved Rocket Ranger.  Have any of you seen the
>preview?  It's called Rocket Man, and if CinemaWare (may they rest in
>peace) isn't collecting some kind of royalty for the idea, they really
>deserve to.

Well, CinemaWare should probably be collecting royalties from Rocket Man
(or whatever the studio is), since it's been around since the 30's!
Most of the CinemaWare games are very similar to old movies, hence the
name.
--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (05/22/91)

In <77346@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v125lqbx@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian T McColpin) writes:

>In article <1991May21.184810.541@ms.uky.edu>, kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes...

>|>No, both of these are take-offs from the cheap sci-fi thrillers of the 30s
>|>and 40s.
>|
>|*Sigh*.  _Rocket Ranger_ is adapted from a comic book, which in turn
>|was inspired by the serials.

>The comic book is called The Rocketeer, which is what the movie called, as
>well.  Like I'm sure you all wanted to know that.  :-)  Anyway, the point
>is that the game and the movie are both spinoffs of the comic book.

Actually, It's not a spinoff of the Rocket Ranger comic. There was a comic
called The Rocketeer (I should know, I was a production assistant at the
comic book company (now defunct) that published the color issues). The comic
was very popular, as the artist was famous (in the comic industry :-) for
his "girly" pictures. The book was supposed to be a quarterly, but actually
came out about once a year (for two years).

When I was there, three years ago as a summer job, the Rocketeer the movie
was in as a proposal to (I think) disney. I don't know who's releasing it,
but I assume disney or a subsidary.
I was told the movie deal would go through if Roger Rabbit was a hit, since
they're both about the same period (40's). It was.

The comic has been around about 5 years.

Don't know whether the movie is any good, though.

Dan
--
Daniel Mark Gessel
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu

whitcomb@aurs01.UUCP (Jonathan Whitcomb) (05/22/91)

Okey, now that we have the chronology straight, can someone tell me
how the game is?  I got a copy in a 3-pack with Blood Money and
Speedball (both great games!), but have yet to venture into Rocket
Ranger.  It looks like it's pretty complex... is it worth the
effort to learn?

By the way, if you have never read Dave Steven's "The Rocketeer"
comic, you're missing some great fun.  The artwork is superb, and
the dialog and plots are a gas.  Unfortunately, Stevens never
finished the story... he got called away first to work on the
sets and costumes for "The Flash", and then to work on the movie
adaptation of his comic... and he isn't even drawing the graphic
novel for the movie, only the cover.  I am looking forward to
the movie, though.
Jonathan Whitcomb                    UUCP: <whitcomb%aurgate@mcnc.org>
Alcatel Network Systems, Raleigh, NC                    Delphi: JBWHIT

mechrw@tnessd.sbc.com (Robert Wallace (214+464-6552)) (05/23/91)

Just FYI:  In the recently released-to-videotape movie _Avalon_,
	   young Mike was in the movie house (with hundreds of
	   other children) watching the serial "Rocket Man".

	   It's hard to tell if the footage shown was authentic
	   or staged, but it looked authentic.

	   RE: Rocket Ranger -- If you'll read the text that comes
	   with the game, you'll find the reference section listing
	   a couple of these serials.  Unfortunately, I don't have
	   mine at work with me (what! you don't either?) and can't
	   verify that Avalon's Rocket Man was among those referenced.

Robert

crazyrat@disk.uucp (Crazyrat) (05/23/91)

In article <9105210951.aa12181@zds-oem.zds.COM>, benjamin%zds-oem@CASPIAN.CS.ANDREWS.EDU (Adam Benjamin  Core Hardware Engineering) writes:

> I spotted a new movie soon to be released that looks very much like
> a spin-off of our beloved Rocket Ranger.  Have any of you seen the
> preview?  It's called Rocket Man, and if CinemaWare (may they rest in
> peace) isn't collecting some kind of royalty for the idea, they really
> deserve to.

Are you sure the movie wasn't entitled 'Rocketeer'?  I think I saw the same
movie preview (HBO) so I think I'm correct.

I'm pretty certain that certain people are getting some sort of royalty from
this deal.  What I would like to know is, did this idea for the game/movie
come from any book/novel/novella by a prominent author?

I swear I think I saw an add for a book awhile back and said 'Hey!  That looks  like Rocket Ranger!'.

Anyway..

@jap

--
Joel C. Justen      Crazyrat Productions Ltd.
CRAZYRAT@DISK.UUCP  JCJUST01@ulkyvx.BITNET

dower@ritcsh.csh.rit.edu (Dower) (05/23/91)

	Well, the movie is called the 'Rocketeer', and if I am correct
the movie is based on an old comic that had this character in it... It is
not an original idea by Cinemaware, although it was a good game, so they
shouldn't collect anything for the creation of the film...

l8r...
dower@ritcsh.rit.edu...

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Heffernan) (05/24/91)

	The "bullethead" serials were all done by Republic.  The first was
_King_of_the_Rocketmen_.  The title character, Jerry King (heh), used a rocket
pack invented by a scientist friend to thwart the schemes of Dr. Vulcan.

	A few years after that, Republic did _Radar_Men_From_The_Moon_.  In
this one, "Commando" Cody, "Sky Marshall of the Universe" (who was unfortunately
born without a first name...) was called upon by the US government to stop an
invasion from the moon, led by the evil Retik.  Clayton Moore appeared in this
as one of the bad guys while on strike from _The_Lone_Ranger_.  Unlike that
wimp Jerry King, Cody was a scientific genius *and* a square-jawed hero: he
built the rocket pack himself, and a rocket that could fly to the moon, and
went out and beat up bad guys.  Of course, he was also the worst shot in the
universe -- he carried a gun, but never managed to hit anything with it...

	The same year, they released _Zombies_of_the_Stratosphere_, with Judd
Holdren (a/k/a Captain Video) playing the hero, Larry Martin.  The invasion
came from Mars this time, and some unknown jerk named Leonard Nimoy can be
found amongst the "zombies"...

	Finally, a year later, Judd Holdren was called back to duty, this
time playing "Commando" Cody in _Commando_Cody,_Sky_Marshal_of_the_Universe_.
While there was a continuing storyline from episode to episode, it was not
filmed in the serial or "cliffhanger" format.  Each episode was a self-contained
story.  This was because Republic wanted to run it on television after its
theatrical release, and they did -- it ran on NBC, sponsored by General Foods.

	You can find the first two on VHS.  I'm told that the third is also
available, but I've never seen it for sale anywhere.

	_Rocketeer_ was a homage not only to the "rocket men" but to the whole
pulp era.  While Stevens obviously couldn't use the names, anyone reading the
origin story could tell that Cliff Secord got the rocket pack from Doc Savage,
and in "Cliff's New York Adventure" he's clearly working with The Shadow.  An
ironic footnote:  Stevens was hit with a lawsuit remarkably similar to the
controversial "look and feel" lawsuits that are plagiung the software industry.
Marvel Comics sued him because they had a criminal gang called "the
Rocketeers" in their comics, who flew around and shot at people with "rocket
guns".  I never found out what the ultimate resolution of that suit was.

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"I don't understand why you make such a big deal out of everything...haven't
you learned; if it's not happenning to me it's not important?" -Murphy Brown

dusek@motcid.UUCP (James P. Dusek) (05/28/91)

	The movie Rocketeer origonaly had Doc Savage in it, but that part was
changed, along with a few others. At first I thought this was gonna be like
Rocket Ranger becuase the Rocketeer looked like RR, but I've read differently
lately. When it come out I'll add it to the list of movies to see (which
includes Backdraft, and Terminator2).

					J.Dusek

hotline@dorsai (Anthony Palestrini) (06/03/91)

benjamin%zds-oem@CASPIAN.CS.ANDREWS.EDU (Adam Benjamin  Core Hardware Engineerin writes:

> I spotted a new movie soon to be released that looks very much like
> a spin-off of our beloved Rocket Ranger.  Have any of you seen the
> preview?  It's called Rocket Man, and if CinemaWare (may they rest in
> peace) isn't collecting some kind of royalty for the idea, they really
> deserve to.
> --
>
>     Adam Benjamin  //         AN353@Clevaland.freenet.edu <- good chance
> Amiga Fanatic at\X/ Large      Benjamin%zds-oem@caspian.cs.andrews.edu
>     (AFAL)                      ^^^^Slim Chance but you can try it^^^^^

That is rocketeer (in the movies). Cinemaware shouldnt claim any royalties
It should be the people in 1941 to claim them who ran that radio serial
"Rocket Ranger". Not too many people know this, Rocket Ranger was a old
radio show during World War II, heh. Thats what the movie is based on, so is
the game.